condition of St. Maarten for Wind Surf cruise in December

susiesan

I just put down a deposit for the Wind Surf Dec. 8 cruise RT from St. Maarten. I plan to fly in one day earlier. I started looking at possible hotels to book and am seeing the majority are still closed due to hurricane damage. There are ver few places to stay in St. Maarten now, almost nothing is open that is at $100 a night.

Since Windstar decided to commit to sailing from St. Maarten again they must assume everything will be in place and operating by November. But I am not so sure. I hesitate to buy a plane ticket to SXM only to have Windstar say St. Maarten cruise port isn't ready and move the cruises to Barbados like they did this year.

What do you all think about the odds of St. Maarten being good to go for this year's winter Caribbean cruise season?

I would think by December, at least several more hotels would be open. At least I hope so!

• 2 weeks later...

We were in St Maarten last week and rented a car to see conditions anticipating our annual Wind Surf trip this coming winter. Airport open with numerous flights, didn't see any tent but construction still apparent. Most importantly, the Sunset Bar at the end of th runway is open and doing well. Cruise port also open with new retail buildings. Ferry service operating between cruise port and front street. Hotels....Divi appears to be in rough shape and both Sonestas appear to be closed. Having said that, Front St was bustling with activity. French side....Grand Case devastated and Marigot in poor shape. It is obvious that the lovely people of St Maarten are feverishly working to restore their island. It appears that the island will be ready for the upcoming season and Wind Surf will be there!

I know that LePetite Hotel on Grand Case is opening on 6/18. I've been in touch with them a few times and they are ready to welcome visitors.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hit send too quickly! The biggest obstacle we have for January is the price of getting there! Have watched AA raise fares 3 times in 2 weeks while trying to firm up what dates I can commit to. From west coast of Florida they are our only option.

Hit send too quickly! The biggest obstacle we have for January is the price of getting there! Have watched AA raise fares 3 times in 2 weeks while trying to firm up what dates I can commit to. From west coast of Florida they are our only option.

We noticed the same on December flights to SXM on AA as well. I bought our tickets on AA in Feb for our late December flights to SXM after I watched prices go up and seats being scooped up quick. I've never bought plane tickets that early. Glad I did because the prices have gone up quite a bit since then. AA is our best option from the West without flying up to NYC.

Hit send too quickly! The biggest obstacle we have for January is the price of getting there! Have watched AA raise fares 3 times in 2 weeks while trying to firm up what dates I can commit to.

Coming from Kansas City, AA is my only option, via MIA on the way there and through MIA or CLT on the way home, depending on what time I leave. Economy seats are running $850 each. Yikes. I do have $1K of credit wit hAA to apply to these tix to help soften the blow. I am monitoring the prices and will book something soon. I found a hotel for $100 a night to come in the Friday night before, Sea View Beach Hotel. Nothing fancy, just a bed.

AA return flights after disembarking do not leave until either 3:30 or 5:00pm. What does one do all day in St. Maarten after getting off the ship before going to the airport? In the condition it is in I don't want to be there too long.

We booked today $947 for 2 from Tampa. Booked 9 a.m. from Sxm through Miami return. Made the 9 a.m. before so assuming we will again. Going in 3 days early to stay on French side. They need the business and we have faith they will be ok by January.