P&O shops closing?

BanburyBlue

boiled sweets...never ate them when we had them on Ventura last year ( well I lie I ate one and it was horrible so left the rest )

Bar nibbles...yuck, yuck, yuck....full of other peoples germs..don't eat the peanuts because you might also be eating some pee !

Pillow chocolates...naff and nasty chocolate could do without that. Would rather have more water instead.

just my opinion however.

All nibbles are served in individual pots or plates and not in communal ones. This has been done for years.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hot chocolate was available when we were on Ventura but you had to ask, not a problem

But you need to know that you can ask for it. New pax won’t be aware.

Also the hot chocolate used to be the proper milky variety that was lovely just before bedtime. Now it’s the watery kind out of a packet.

But you need to know that you can ask for it. New pax won’t be aware.

Also the hot chocolate used to be the proper milky variety that was lovely just before bedtime. Now it’s the watery kind out of a packet.

Still the same packets, just made with half milk, half water in an urn. Ask for a hot milk and a sachet from a waiter in the Waterside after 10pm, they will oblige.

All nibbles are served in individual pots or plates and not in communal ones. This has been done for years.

oh okay good to know...but where do the nibbles like nuts come from..do they open a fresh pack every time ?

Without a doubt, P&O are cost cutting and this has been a steady but continuous process over many years but, to be fair to them, so has every smart business. As DaiB rightly points out, we pay a lot less for our cruises now than we used to.

Of course, this raises the question of would we rather pay more for a higher quality product? Well, personally, I would, but if I was P&O I would do what they are doing. In order to fill their vast and ever increasing capacity, they have to appeal to the masses and cannot rely on the affluent few as they used to. This means lower prices and a product engineered to that price. Those of us who like the luxuries in life still have the (usually) excellent Select Dining restaurants etc.

As for the shops, I have always felt that it’s absolute tat at premium prices. The only things that we would ever buy are cheaper online at home!

It is. Maybe my memories of P&O go back further than yours (to the 1990s) or perhaps some ships have been downgraded more than others.

I have not seen classical musicians for several years. Certainly there were none on Britannia in 2017 nor on Ventura in 2015.

As regards champagne at the captains reception, when I started sailing with P&O waiters circulated with trays of a choice of genuine champagne or bucks fizz. Also canapes, of the type now only seen at the Peninsular Club party. Then the champagne was replaced by glasses of still wine or pre mixed G&Ts etc. True, if you ask for champagne they will give you a glass of sparkling wine, but it will not be champagne. Canapes dissappeared around the same time.

As regards musicians, let me take Ventura as a specific example rather than talk in terms of generalities. In her early days she hosted two cocktail pianists, one of whom was based mainly in the Red Bar and one in Metropolis. Then one of them was culled and when the remaining pianist was playing in Metropolis someone played CDs for dancing in the atrium, because there were no live musicians available. There used to be regular live music in the Exchange, but following the cuts these were replaced by members of the entertainments staff hosting quizzes, karioke and other forms of audience participation "fun". I believe that the reductions amounted to a pianist and at least one band, plus the steel band in the Caribbean in the winter and the band that led the rock school in the summer.

We got back from Ventura a month ago and we had classical musicians pretty much every day, usually in The Tamarind. There was also a pianist in the Red Bar and a popular duo playing contemporary music in a very laid back style. In addition, we had a resident band and a guest band so thought entertainment was on the whole pretty good.

I agree about the 'champagne' though. I mainly drink Prosecco or champagne and the stuff they serve at the parties is really rough. I use our complimentary Peninsular vouchers to get a decent glass of champagne in the Glass House.

Without a doubt, P&O are cost cutting and this has been a steady but continuous process over many years but, to be fair to them, so has every smart business. As DaiB rightly points out, we pay a lot less for our cruises now than we used to.

Of course, this raises the question of would we rather pay more for a higher quality product? Well, personally, I would, but if I was P&O I would do what they are doing. In order to fill their vast and ever increasing capacity, they have to appeal to the masses and cannot rely on the affluent few as they used to. This means lower prices and a product engineered to that price. Those of us who like the luxuries in life still have the (usually) excellent Select Dining restaurants etc.

As for the shops, I have always felt that it’s absolute tat at premium prices. The only things that we would ever buy are cheaper online at home!

Unfortunately you are right. P&O have to fill their ships and therefore are charging cheaper prices and cost cutting. We've always liked P&O for their destinations and the fact that we can cruise to and from the UK. However I'm slowly being put off P&O with the way they seem to be going. Would I prefer higher prices and a higher quality product. Absolutely!

Shared bathrooms down the corridor, no choices of restaurants, fancy dress parties, communal washing machines where every bodies clothes were put in together, a small kiosk instead of a pretentious shop, top class entertainers brought on board......ah I remember it well.......and did we complain....no...we were just grateful to be able to afford a holiday on good old Canberra....

Shared bathrooms down the corridor, no choices of restaurants, fancy dress parties, communal washing machines where every bodies clothes were put in together, a small kiosk instead of a pretentious shop, top class entertainers brought on board......ah I remember it well.......and did we complain....no...we were just grateful to be able to afford a holiday on good old Canberra....

People probably moaned and complained but there wasnt the internet in those days so not many got to hear about and "jump on the bandwagon".

People probably moaned and complained but there wasnt the internet in those days so not many got to hear about and "jump on the bandwagon".

Yes they did, particularly if anyone took too long in the bathroom.

If no one jumped on the bandwagon so to speak there would be very little discussion on this site.;)

The internet is great for information but it also a bit of a market place for sharing moans and human nature being what it is we all do it from time to time. There is some sort of statistic about telling a few people about something good but telling everyone you know about something bad.

Yes they did, particularly if anyone took too long in the bathroom.

If no one jumped on the bandwagon so to speak there would be very little discussion on this site.;)

The internet is great for information but it also a bit of a market place for sharing moans and human nature being what it is we all do it from time to time. There is some sort of statistic about telling a few people about something good but telling everyone you know about something bad.

Yes if someone posts that they have had a wonderful cruise with no issues at all, it gets very few comments. The opposite is not the case.

We're on Aurora 16th May 3night cruise I have had the email saying no shops will be open during our cruise.

You must be on the cruise after ours - we'll try and leave the ship in good condition for you (y).

How much notice did you get, and I guess are you happy about it?

It’s not just inconsistency between ships it’s happening during your specific cruise aswell. We were on Aurora last November and sometimes we got pre drink nibbles in Anderson’s and sometimes we didn’t. Same with the sweets, a few times they were in the cabin, other times they weren’t. We thought maybe there was 1 dish of sweets that was being passed between cabins!!

Totally agree - I've been on the same ship, in the same bar on different days and been offered nibbles on one day and not the next.

We've only been cruising for a few years, and with P&O since 2013. Our last cruise was 2016 and then there was still music on the ship and some room service was free and some charged (has that changed). We haven't really seen many 'captain's evenings' - only once on the Britannia, and that was its 3rd cruise post launch, so perhaps trying hard as a new ship?

I don't really have the boiled sweets, but do stash the chocolates and biscuits to share round the office when I get back :o .

I do wish, if they do have to cut back, they'd sack the pianists and string quartets in the bars in the evening - I'm sure some people love them, but unfortunately I don't.

"I do wish, if they do have to cut back, they'd sack the pianists and string quartets in the bars in the evening - I'm sure some people love them, but unfortunately I don't."

At last, someone who shares my feelings about the loud, poor quality live music in the bars. Singers who are flat, pianists that regularly hit bum notes and all so loud that conversation is difficult unless you get as far away as possible. Not necessary, a buzzy bar atmosphere spoilt in my opinion.

This will be our first cruise with P & O. I also had notification of the shops closing mid trip. I don’t buy much in the shops but like to walk through in the evening. Hope they don’t try to refit during the cruise as this could cause a lot of hassle that I personally don’t want on my hollybobs.:D

^I shouldn't imagine that a shop refit would get in the way much. They'll just close the barriers like they were in port, and carry on the work.

I don't think the change of shop provider will require a full refit though. Just a re-stock of the merchandise.

To those who have stated that they would like higher prices and higher quality, that can easily be achieved by sailing with other cruise lines such as Silverseas, Oceana, Seabourn etc.

Gone are the days when as one poster started only the “Afluent” cruised if that were still the case P&O would have disappeared from the High Seas years ago.

My wife and I have cruised with P&O every year since 2005 and in my opinion for all their perceived faults they provide excellent value for money, and we must be totally lacking manners as we are among those who may well have two or three drinks at the Captains Cocktail/Portunus Party we learned that from watching all those old P&O Cruisers from the days of the “POSH” club making sure they got more than one drink as the waiters went on their rounds possibly something to do with being “Affluent” or perhaps they now regard those who cruise as “Effluent”.

Never mind I will still enjoy all of my cruise I have booked till 2020.

:)

To those who have stated that they would like higher prices and higher quality, that can easily be achieved by sailing with other cruise lines such as Silverseas, Oceana, Seabourn etc.

Gone are the days when as one poster started only the “Afluent” cruised if that were still the case P&O would have disappeared from the High Seas years ago.

My wife and I have cruised with P&O every year since 2005 and in my opinion for all their perceived faults they provide excellent value for money, and we must be totally lacking manners as we are among those who may well have two or three drinks at the Captains Cocktail/Portunus Party we learned that from watching all those old P&O Cruisers from the days of the “POSH” club making sure they got more than one drink as the waiters went on their rounds possibly something to do with being “Affluent” or perhaps they now regard those who cruise as “Effluent”.

Never mind I will still enjoy all of my cruise I have booked till 2020.

Yes there are other lines but not generally from the UK which is the problem.

I agree they do still provide a decent holiday but much diminished compared to what it used to be which you will be aware as you have travelled with them for years. Lower prices usually mean less quality, simple maths.

Re the drinks at the Captains reception, you have clearly not seen those knocking it back as if there was no tomorrow and harassing the waiters to the point of bullying to get even more. I take it that’s not you and your wife :) ?

Indeed not I have always found the best way to get Service is a pleasant smile and a friendly word, I have absolutely no time for any fellow passengers who are rude to or bully any of the crew, in fact I had words with a fellow passenger at Dinner one evening for the manner he addressed a young waiter and I thereafter requested a change of table from the Restaurant Manager.

Indeed not I have always found the best way to get Service is a pleasant smile and a friendly word, I have absolutely no time for any fellow passengers who are rude to or bully any of the crew, in fact I had words with a fellow passenger at Dinner one evening for the manner he addressed a young waiter and I thereafter requested a change of table from the Restaurant Manager.

Bravo. I do the same myself when the need arises.

It’s that type that I was talking about earlier in the thread and sadly there do seem to be many more of the demanding “snap the fingers” type of people around since the prices reduced which is a bit of a contradiction.