Any Experience with Finding Accessible Transportation from Airport to Cruise Terminal

kitty9

I'm in the early stages of finding a cruise that starts in Amsterdam and ends in Southampton. I will need accessible transportation in both those cities for me and my mobility scooter. Does anyone have any info on such vehicles in those two cities? I will post this in the port of call also.

Thanks

Darcie, just be aware that the airport in Amsterdam can be quite an ordeal. Allow more extra time there than you can imagine. They managed to misplace my wheelchair somewhere between landing and the baggage area. I waited for it for two hours. This is when it was supposed to be delivered to me at the door of the plane.

You should not have any problems in Amsterdam, assuming that the ship docks at the “passenger terminal” in downtown Amsterdam (Piet Heinkade 27). Some of the large ships dock at the harbor near the ocean and shuttle into Amsterdam. Like someone else mentioned, the cruise terminal is close to Amsterdam Central Train Station, approximately ¾ mile.

I'm assuming that you are planning on arriving in Amsterdam a day or so before the cruise. Overall, taking the train from Schiphol is fairly easy. Like any airport, there are mishaps, however we have not ever experienced any major problems in Amsterdam. Trains from Schiphol are the only ones I am aware of where you do not have to make reservations when using mobility devices. To my knowledge, all other stations require at least a day's notice.

Getting around in Amsterdam is easy and if you go in a day or so before the cruise, there are many hotels in the immediate area of the cruise and train terminals. If you are considering staying before the cruise, I'd suggest you write to the hotel and verify they are accessible. Most of the city buses and trollies are accessible. Using Google maps, you can identify bus or trolly stops. The website for Amsterdam public transportation is: https://en.gvb.nl/

When in Amsterdam, please stay off the bicycle route. They travel at higher speeds and do not appreciate us. Overall, Amsterdam is accessible.

We never made it Southampton, however, I did some research once and found the train from London to Southampton was doable, plus I found this company to get us between train and cruise: http://www.southamptoncruisetransfersandtours.co.uk/

We travel with four wheel carry-on suit cases which are very easy to maneuver while on the scooters. Actually, I have a system where I attach the suit case with bungee cords and do not worry about it. I also have a shoulder bag that I just sit on the floor board. If I have to take my POC, I just tow it with my hand.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty