Lanyards?

scrapmamma

Hard to believe that this thread is still here (or maybe it is a new one?)

Basically, from what we have heard/seen, lanyards are used by most mainstream cruisers - used by 50% of premium cruise line cruisers and less than 1% of luxury cruise line cruisers. As a luxury cruiser, I would not be caught dead with one but understand that there are reasons that some people find them convenient.

• 4 weeks later...

I have to bump this thread up again, 'cause y'all have missed one of the most important features of the lanyard: if you buy the right kind, you can just undo a clip one-handed and give your card to the waiter who brings you drinks in the hot tub, then snap it right back in once he brings it back.

I think I will wear a lanyard, fannypack, backpack, sandals with white socks, plaid shorts with a paisley print blouse, and wide brim sun-visor...What do ya' think?...am I really to sail, now? :p Enough said...! Let's just enjoy the adventure and forget about what other people think is the proper attire for sailing. I have 97 days to go until "Bon Voyage."

dang, i have a big floopy hat I really am considering. My lily white skin will thank me.

Thank you! Many of my clothing items don't have pockets and I don't always have my husband with me (part of enjoying a cruise is getting personal time doing different activities that we enjoy independently). I bought some off Amazon. But, somehow we ended up getting several more on board for free. One was when we verified information at Crown & Anchor for our kids (got two free ones), etc. So, we came home with a bunch of extras- I will pass them on to my parents when they join us on the next cruise.

Sorry to the haters out there, but for convenience I will continue to use one, even though I'm not a newbie. Plus, my kids loved having theirs and feeling more involved in the cruise process.

I was wondering the same thing. most of my clothes (dresses Skirts) will not have pockets. Especially when going to the pool. I'm not going to carry a wallet or purse when all I need is my sea pass. So i'll find some sort of lanyard. Who cares. Everybody has their way of doing things. If someone finds it lame, they have way to much time on their hands worrying about other people.

• 2 weeks later...
How scientific of you.

LOL, I find it funny how they had to say they don't wear a lanyard because they are a luxury cruiser. I wouldn't think that the category of the cabin or price of the cruise would not be a determining factor in whether a lanyard is useful or not.

LOL, I find it funny how they had to say they don't wear a lanyard because they are a luxury cruiser. I wouldn't think that the category of the cabin or price of the cruise would not be a determining factor in whether a lanyard is useful or not.

Agreed! So cringeworthy really. Lol! Hardly anybody on this whole thread said if they were a luxury cruiser or not, that's the best part, they just wanted to put it out there that they ate. Too funny

I wear a lanyard in certain areas at work and I hate them. Last thing I want to do on vacation is to wear one, I want to be away to forget about work. So I simply keep the card in my wallet.

So let me change the question. Where do you put your wallet when you are in places such as the pool, at the beach or on tour? BTW - hasn't anyone noticed that this thread started in 2010 - 18 years ago.

DON

So let me change the question. Where do you put your wallet when you are in places such as the pool, at the beach or on tour? BTW - hasn't anyone noticed that this thread started in 2010 - 18 years ago.

Eight years ago, not eighteen.

So let me change the question. Where do you put your wallet when you are in places such as the pool, at the beach or on tour? BTW - hasn't anyone noticed that this thread started in 2010 -

DON

Yeah, we noticed. As for the to people having to do something at work but they don't want to do it while on holidays, I think they are being very selective.

I have read people saying this about wearing tuxedo's, etc, and lanyards and various other things but in reality, I think Holidays should be about having a good time away from work.

Wearing a lanyard around the ship is something that helps some people to relax, not having to carry a wallet or bag. As for dressing up for dinner, how many people do that when at work. The best thing is that everyone has their own standards and preferences and cruising can cater for a wide variety of tastes in this regard.

DON

Wallet goes in the safe. Cruise card, and depending if I'm getting off the ship or not, ID and a credit card goes with it.

Some cruise lines (Disney comes to mind) give lanyards to everyone. I find them handy. And at the prices Disney charges, you can call them luxury lol

Wallet goes in the safe. Cruise card, and depending if I'm getting off the ship or not, ID and a credit card goes with it.

Some cruise lines (Disney comes to mind) give lanyards to everyone. I find them handy. And at the prices Disney charges, you can call them luxury lol

Where do you put your cruise card when on the ship?

I plan on wearing a lanyard (and I always wear one on vacation because we typically go to Vegas) because I have slight OCD.

If I cannot see my ID and room key, I will stop every few minutes to make sure they are still there.

I learned this years ago, and it has slowly started to fade away, but better safe than sorry for me.

That being said, I do use a super cute Coach lanyard.

I go on my first cruise next month (Carnival Imagination) with my mother (her first too) and this board has been amazing! The amount of information I have gotten is priceless!!

Where do you put your cruise card when on the ship?

In my lanyard. I have no problems with the one DCL gives you. I find it easy to take in and out, yet is secure and will fit a couple extra cards without feeling bulky. Being free probably helps my opinion of it too. :) I'll probably wear it on my next cruise, even though that one is NCL.

In my lanyard. I have no problems with the one DCL gives you. I find it easy to take in and out, yet is secure and will fit a couple extra cards without feeling bulky. Being free probably helps my opinion of it too. :) I'll probably wear it on my next cruise, even though that one is NCL.

Okay, that is sorted, do whatever suits you best. I wear a lanyard during the day on the ship as I tend not to have any pockets, I tend to not use the lanyard in the evening for dinner as I have a top pocket.

I think Don was questioning Chanman76 as they said that they keep their card in their wallet as they do not want to wear a lanyard.

Okay, that is sorted, do whatever suits you best. I wear a lanyard during the day on the ship as I tend not to have any pockets, I tend to not use the lanyard in the evening for dinner as I have a top pocket.

I think Don was questioning Chanman76 as they said that they keep their card in their wallet as they do not want to wear a lanyard.

Correct. Most of us do not carry a wallet on a cruise as we have no need for money on the ship. What I do is carry my card on a lanyard and if I do not want anyone to see it, I just tuck it into my shirt.

DON

I swing it so it hangs down my back if I don't want it seen as much or dangle. Works especially well if I'm wearing a collar of any kind.

I'm on vacation and not a celebrity so I don't care if people see me wear a lanyard. On cruiselines like DCL, maybe 80-90% of people are wearing one it seems since they give them to everyone. So, I've gotten used to them and don't mind them. For pictures, I do the swing to my back if I don't want to take it off and set it down somewhere it can be stolen. Pocket works too if I'm wearing pants/shorts that have them. I'm in swimwear a lot on a cruise so those tend not to have pockets big enough to carry a card.

it's amusing how petty some people are and that they feel THEY are the say all on fine fashion. If it doesn't have ANYTHING to do with you then WHO cares? just do what you want to do and the others with theirs noses in the air can get bent. Give them something else to gossip about in another CC thread.

Man I need to find me some kind of over the top lanyard to wear next month.

My 02

Michael

Haha! Between your comment and your signature, I think I love you.

I have seen this thread come to the forefront over and over again over the years and I always find it hilarious that there are always those that think they look like a seasoned cruisers or are super cool because they DON'T wear a lanyard. It's a little like saying they don't dress like a "tourist" so no one will know they are a tourist...while being seen getting off a hop-on/hop-off bus or standing in line at a tourist attraction. I don't depend on someone else to put my lanyard in their pocket or keep up with it. We're seasoned cruisers and because we are, we wear a lanyard. If you want to turn your nose up at those of us that wear a lanyard, feel free.

• 1 month later...

I wear a lanyard every day at work. All 16,000 people where I work do as well. It is the only efficient way to enter and exit every building, office area, etc. Guess we are all “tourists”! ;p

Seriously, I just want my vacation to be relaxing and convenient. If it means putting my key card on a gaudy lanyard, so be it.

i pay a little boy to carry my ship card two paces behind me. that way i dont look awkward. he also carries a sign that says this is a platinum cruiser. i do carry my passport, cash and credit card off the ship with my ship card. They are in a double press closed baggie in case i go into the water. zip lock are not water tight but press close are. The double as my passport is in the inner, and the money and cc and waterproof ship card in the outer. a paper copy of all these is left in the safe where i wont need them if i miss the ship. i have lanyards from car shows i use when hot tubbing etc.

I have seen this thread come to the forefront over and over again over the years and I always find it hilarious that there are always those that think they look like a seasoned cruisers or are super cool because they DON'T wear a lanyard. It's a little like saying they don't dress like a "tourist" so no one will know they are a tourist...while being seen getting off a hop-on/hop-off bus or standing in line at a tourist attraction. I don't depend on someone else to put my lanyard in their pocket or keep up with it. We're seasoned cruisers and because we are, we wear a lanyard. If you want to turn your nose up at those of us that wear a lanyard, feel free.

I agree that people ashore are going to spot me as a tourist anyway, since I am one. I don't wear a lanyard because I apparently walk a bit funny, so my seapass bounces annoyingly from side to side as I walk. And if I go out on deck, the wind makes it fly up and batter me round the face! So it stays in my pocket. Or in my bra if I don’t have a pocket.