Low Carb Dieting

jesskuhmarie

I was wondering what happened to my post. I did give my first name so I could be added to the Facebook group.

I'll try again, my 1st name is Lori and I did request to be added to the group.

giving your name will not have them removed it could have been because I mentioned the web site where you could find our low carb high fat friends support team - lol

• 2 weeks later...
Still trying to join the support group. Second request just now. Now back to the excellent info I find on CC! Does anyone know if the fitness areas on ships, esp. NCL, have scales ??

Did you join the support group? What is your first name?

I never weigh on a cruise so I would not know about the scales!

First name Robin. Got something saying I had been added to the group but so far it doesn't come up in my list of groups. Not sure what is going on. I will try to log in again and try once more

I did approve you so just try searching for the group again - you are a team member - welcome! :cool:

Yay, so happy to see some like minded people! I have lost 75 lbs in the past year (at the age of 49) on a Paleo turned Ketogenic diet. I will NEVER go back to eating crappy weight watchers low fat packaged food! This has been effortless, and all my body's aches and pains have disappeared. I will continue this way of eating on my upcoming cruise, and will be bringing pastured butter and MCT oil on board for my coffee.

Yay, so happy to see some like minded people! I have lost 75 lbs in the past year (at the age of 49) on a Paleo turned Ketogenic diet. I will NEVER go back to eating crappy weight watchers low fat packaged food! This has been effortless, and all my body's aches and pains have disappeared. I will continue this way of eating on my upcoming cruise, and will be bringing pastured butter and MCT oil on board for my coffee.

Is there a specific diet plan you followed or just search on Ketogenic?

What works for me is keeping my carbs under 20 per day (usually more life 10) and stay pretty much keto - I do eat any veggies that grow above the ground - and an occasional daikon radish as a substitute for potatoes! :cool:

Just back from my 18 day vacation, 7 days of it was on a cruise. Had no trouble staying on keto during the cruise. In fact the easiest way to eat was on the cruise. Just didn't eat any of of the bread, potatoes, rice or carbs that were served.

The biggest challenge on a cruise is if you take an excursion and they serve you a meal or snack. We did a snorkel/sail thing and the lunch was a chicken & rice dish, with beer or a rum mixed drink and chips. I picked the chicken out of the rice and drank water. I had taken some nuts to crunch on as a snack so I did okay.

The harder part of this trip was the days not on the cruise. Since this is a cruise forum I won't go there unless someone is interested.

I did cheat a little bit but never binged and had no problem with carbs. I was working out 5-6 days a week prior to this trip. I did not "work out" at all during the trip but stayed very active. Up early, out all day and back late.

Overall I gained 4 lbs but I was actually 6lbs under my goal weight when I left. I did keep track of what I ate every day but didn't really keep track of my macros. When I get back into my routine I don't think I will have a problem losing that 4 lbs.

I weighed myself when we got home on Friday morning at 6 am after about a 12 hour flight. I was up 4 lbs.

Today (Monday) is my normal weigh in day. Haven't done anything different since Friday. I was astonished that I was within 3/10s of a pound from my pre-vacation weight. That's less than my day to day variance. I ate well (but stuck to keto) on this trip and didn't gain any weight.

Week 18 starts today. After this trip I am starting to think/feel that I can do keto as a lifestyle change. Doesn't even feel like I'm on a diet anymore.

Edited by mac66

I weighed myself when we got home on Friday morning at 6 am after about a 12 hour flight. I was up 4 lbs.

Today (Monday) is my normal weigh in day. Haven't done anything different since Friday. I was astonished that I was within 3/10s of a pound from my pre-vacation weight. That's less than my day to day variance. I ate well (but stuck to keto) on this trip and didn't gain any weight.

Week 18 starts today. After this trip I am starting to think/feel that I can do keto as a lifestyle change. Doesn't even feel like I'm on a diet anymore.

Yes you are correct - it is not a diet but rather a lifestyle change! I am at 27 months! :cool:

Yes you are correct - it is not a diet but rather a lifestyle change! I am at 27 months! :cool:

Wow! I am hoping I can do this long term and one day say "oh yeah, I've been doing this for years",

I'm so glad this thread is out here!! I'm early in my keto journey and my first cruise is coming up at the end of July, when I'll be about 16 weeks into ketosis. The recommendations on this thread are great and are in line with my thoughts of how I'd approach eating on this trip, although I know I'm going to blow it with the carbs via wine!

A few questions for this experienced group:

1) Does anyone have experience using My Fitness Pal on international travel/ cruises? If so, I'm interested in your impressions.

2) I take sole water daily. I'm thinking of bringing my pink salt w/ me to mix up a batch and use during the cruise. Thoughts?

3) Has anyone had problems bringing powdered supplements (MCT oil, Natural Calm, exogenous ketones) with them, if clearly labeled? (I just didn't want them to get confiscated for looking like anything illegal!!)

4) Given the likelihood of the wine (thus carb) consumption, should I try to offset by ensuring more fat intake?

Thanks so much!!

Been doing low carb for a week and hv not lost anything. Do you think it could be because I have flavored vodka or 2 at night?? Other than that I stay under 20 carbs

I have a really hard time losing weight when I drink regularly, so I try not to drink and diet. I've also read that you have to stay away from flavored alcohol because it's full of sugar. That could easily be your problem.

Don't forget that you just started. Give it more time.

Been doing low carb for a week and hv not lost anything. Do you think it could be because I have flavored vodka or 2 at night?? Other than that I stay under 20 carbs

Doing the Keto thing may be a good excuse to cut back on the alcohol. I drank nothing but water and black coffee for the first 10 weeks on keto which started just after New Years. I did have some scotch on the cruise and an occasional glass of wine one my cruise/vacation but I still only drink water and black coffee.

I'm so glad this thread is out here!! I'm early in my keto journey and my first cruise is coming up at the end of July, when I'll be about 16 weeks into ketosis. The recommendations on this thread are great and are in line with my thoughts of how I'd approach eating on this trip, although I know I'm going to blow it with the carbs via wine!

A few questions for this experienced group:

1) Does anyone have experience using My Fitness Pal on international travel/ cruises? If so, I'm interested in your impressions.

2) I take sole water daily. I'm thinking of bringing my pink salt w/ me to mix up a batch and use during the cruise. Thoughts?

3) Has anyone had problems bringing powdered supplements (MCT oil, Natural Calm, exogenous ketones) with them, if clearly labeled? (I just didn't want them to get confiscated for looking like anything illegal!!)

4) Given the likelihood of the wine (thus carb) consumption, should I try to offset by ensuring more fat intake?

Thanks so much!!

I emailed Holland America to ask. They just want everything factory sealed.

Uugh...OK...will need to foot the bill for individual packets of Natural Calm and exogenous ketones (if I decide to bring the latter with me). Haven't seen individual serving sizes of MCT powdered oil, although I've seen others post that they bring it on board. Anyone with that experience who can comment?

I posted on this thread long, long ago.

I'm keto, just hit the 2 year mark, and I've lost 63 lbs. I will reach my goal weight in the fall and start body recomposition. I've started to include more activity to increase my strength and flexibility.

My keto menu on the cruise: RCCL, but should be fairly easy to do on any line.

- Breakfast: omelet with cheese and vegetables, side of bacon. No juice or bread.

- Lunch: fish or protein with vegetable side with butter.

- Dinner: salad or low carb soup, protein with vegetables, and cheese plate for dessert.

I will be eating at maintenance for my next cruise, so I will have the option of going up to 50g net carbs per day, but probably won't.

I will take my capsule supplements in a weekly pill organizer, but won't carry my protein powder.

I don't take exogenous ketones or use bullet proof coffee.

I don't take much with me on a cruise - almonds - beef sticks - I just eat clean non-carb foods on a cruise - I am going to indulge for the first time in 25 months with Jamies Italian Kitchen onboard Ovation - going to have a little bit of Truffle Risotto and a little bit of Black Truffle Noodles - :) :cool:

Other than that - meat - cheese = veggies and HWC and berries for dessert!

Uugh...OK...will need to foot the bill for individual packets of Natural Calm and exogenous ketones (if I decide to bring the latter with me). Haven't seen individual serving sizes of MCT powdered oil, although I've seen others post that they bring it on board. Anyone with that experience who can comment?

Taking stuff on cruise ship is not like on an airplane. There are no limits or restrictions or packaging rules.

I've never heard of or seen any cruise line check or care what you bring on board as long as it isn't booze or weapons/irons or something else unsafe. And even the booze part is pretty hit or miss judging by the many aftermarket booze smuggling devices that are available.

Regardless of what a cruise line may say, they don't screen luggage for anything but booze bottles and weapons or obvious other unsafe things.