Need some help.. first time cruisers!else

Sam2018

Hi, we are taking our first cruise on NCL the Jewel in July.

Not sure what we should pack, I was thinking a mid weight zip or liner rain jacket, hiking shoes, capris, nice jeans, one nice dress, tee shirts and nicer tops. What else? How about my husband should he bring a suit or would a nice shirt and tie work?

Also for excursions.. we payed extra for that but do we need to register for specific ones before we leave?

Thanks for advise and I'm really excited about this trip !! 😃

Hi

Not sure where you are sailing to... that would help with packing

NCL is a very casual cruise line, no need for suit jacket or tie.. Shorts for men are allowed in all restaurants for dinner EXCEPT in the aft (rear) dining room and Le Bistro (upcharge French restaurant). The most he needs to be dressed up in is a pair of chinos or nice jeans and a polo shirt. No need to overpack!

I'm not sure what you mean about your excursions. You've paid, you must have selected particular ones unless you booked through a private tour operator. Unless you are saying you chose the $50 per cabin excursion credit as your booking perk.

For more answers to your questions there is a board dedicated to just Norwegian Cruise Lines under "Cruise Lines A-O" where you can get more specific answers.

You will want layers...in July,, it can be hot...or quite chilly...rainy or dry...there''s really no way to tell in Alaska!

You will only need "hiking shoes" if you're planning to do a hike! Pack according to what you plan to do onshore.

The Shirt and tie will be dressy enough for an Alaska cruise. We did our first last year and was surprised how casual the dress was. We are heading back this August and all I’m bringing is a couple of shirts and ties, no jacket.

Don’t forget warm socks, gloves and hat. Also a lightweight backpack to carry your rain gear and to hold your layered cloths you take off of put on when the Alaska weather changes, as it will.

Google Alaska cruise layering for good suggestions.

Have a great cruise, Alaska is a unique adventure.

Weather in Alaska in July is usually 40's - 50's at night and 60's through 80's during the day. Pack layers, I don't think you will need a lot of cold weather gear, but if you are doing an excursions out on the water, it could be cold and wet, so bring a light waterproof coat of some kind.

Not sure abuot NCL, but last cruise on RCI, we got invited to dine with the Staff Captain. I was very happy I had a dress shirt, tie and sports coat along. I wish I had brought a suit.

I will pack a suit in the future.

Just in case.

Also, some people like to dress a bit for dinner. You don't have to, but you might want to.

Not sure abuot NCL, but last cruise on RCI, we got invited to dine with the Staff Captain. I was very happy I had a dress shirt, tie and sports coat along. I wish I had brought a suit.

I will pack a suit in the future.

Just in case.

Also, some people like to dress a bit for dinner. You don't have to, but you might want to.

This does not apply to Norwegian .... a polo shirt and nice jeans or chinos is a dressy as you need to be.