Long flight tips?

MaC410

quick story...

Had just boarded plane at ewr heading to lisbon when captain announces mechanical issue that will require our all deplaning for an undetermined amount of time. Across from us in waiting area is a gentleman making a frantic call and we hear him say with distress: "but, i just took an ambien!"

sent from my iphone using forums

lol!

Shoes that are easy to slip off. Thick socks to put on. Stretchy, soft pants and shirt. I take my bra off. Wrap or sweatshirt. Travel pillow.

I don't sleep worth beans on a flight. I snuggle in as much as possible and read, watch movies (with head phones), play mindless video games, and just get through the time.

• 2 weeks later...

We have done one South Carolina to China flight. 13 hrs . My wife is 5 ft or so and has enough room to curl up. I'm around 6', Leg room is mostly not available to me. I have to move about , stand by the galley or WC to keep my blood moving. To make matters more challenging, have muscular dystrophy and must wear braces all the times. This is agonizing and makes walking around more critical.. My Dr prescribes oxy. to mitigate cramp pain to help with gettinfg some sleep. I wear a hoodie because the cabin is too cold for comfort and will retract into the hood to cut out some light and listen to Bach on my Ipod

Snacking on trail mix works for me in case the meal is not filling or to my liking.

...will retract into the hood to cut out some light and listen to Bach on my Ipod ...

Wow! I thought it was just me. I go for all six Brandenburg Concertos plus Air on a G string and adagio for strings (Barber) after the cabin settles down and the long stretch starts. I will try the hood approach next time. The privacy aspect sounds great.

We have done one South Carolina to China flight. 13 hrs . My wife is 5 ft or so and has enough room to curl up. I'm around 6', Leg room is mostly not available to me. I have to move about , stand by the galley or WC to keep my blood moving. To make matters more challenging, have muscular dystrophy and must wear braces all the times. This is agonizing and makes walking around more critical.. My Dr prescribes oxy. to mitigate cramp pain to help with gettinfg some sleep. I wear a hoodie because the cabin is too cold for comfort and will retract into the hood to cut out some light and listen to Bach on my Ipod

Snacking on trail mix works for me in case the meal is not filling or to my liking.

WOW. We assume you mean Oxy Contin or IR? My physician friends would roll over in their graves before they would give anyone a script for that stuff for a flight. So here is the reasoning. If one flies coach on a very long flight, it is important that that person get up and move around (at least every couple of hours) to prevent DVT (which can kill you). Some experts recommend doing movement exercises every thirty minutes. Or course the way they cram folks in Economy...doing exercises in the seat can be more of an exercise of frustration. I once asked my physician for some Ambien for one of those long flights and I got a long lecture about DVT. I think when David Bloom (worked as a NBC reporter) suddenly died from DVT (as the result of being crammed into an armored vehicle) it sent out a wake-up call to many medical professionals.

Hank

Sorry. I did not mean that my Dr. RXed Nocor for my flights. This is an as needed script which I use for extreme pain only and not as a rule. Long flights do bring this about.

As I said, I do routinely walk about to the point of bugging fellow passengers; also do resistance exercises periodically.

International flights still feed you in economy.

A meal after takeoff, and a snack before landing.

Pick a foreign airline if you can though. I just got back from Japan. I flew Asiana going there, United coming back. Food was quite decent on Asiana, even though they're the "secondary" Korean airline. They even served a meal on the short hop from Korea to Japan, even though the flight was only 1.5 hours. Food was inedible on United. I mean, seriously nasty. Both the "dinner" and the "breakfast". On international flights shorter than I think 13 hours, United won't even give a snack in between.

Hi there. My husband and I are going to be taking a 7 hour flight to Barcelona before our Mediterranean cruise. Any tips for the flight in terms of what to bring to be comfortable for it?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Wow ... you must be flying from the East Coast. Our flights took 1 1/2 days ... with all the time changes and layovers. Was at Seattle airport 10am on a Thurs., arrived at Hilton Barcelona on Fri. 4pm local time. It was exhausting. Lots of books. Sleep as much as possible.

Would love to be able to afford those comfy seats by upgrading but if I did, we wouldn't be able to afford the cruise so we have to "suck it up." I dress for comfort. I wear a sports bra, slip on shoes and a hoodie. I always carry a pair of socks and put them on as soon as I'm seated because I hate being cold on an airplane. I wear a hoodie in case the passenger next to me uses that fan and blows cold air on me, plus it shields me a from the light and I can't deal with the eye masks. I carry snack, mints, my cosmetic bag with lotion, individually packaged hand wipes and lip gloss. I buy a bottle of water after I get past security. I carry a book because it helps me fall asleep and earbuds. I tune in an watch a movie and if I fall asleep, I consider it a bonus.I watch the time left before we are scheduled to land and go to the restroom with enough time before they have to settle in for the landing. I wash my face with my wipes, apply some fresh make-up, run a brush through my hair. This makes me feel a lot more refreshed when we land. When I get to my seat, I shed the socks, tidy up my seat put all my flight "conveniences" back in place. I tried the tip to not take a nap when I arrive in a different time zone and it just does NOT work for me. When I arrive and check into the hotel, I take a two-hour nap if it's international.or something like a 6 or 8 hour time difference. It's enough to give me a much needed rest and to stretch out, and not too much to screw up the time zone for falling asleep that night. I wake up, go out to eat, wander around a bit and then get to bed as early as reasonable. If international, I like to arrive with 2 days pre-cruise and by the time I board the ship, I'm acclimated to the time, rested and refreshed to start the cruise...plus, I've had time to explore the city.

Would love to be able to afford those comfy seats by upgrading but if I did, we wouldn't be able to afford the cruise so we have to "suck it up." I dress for comfort. I wear a sports bra, slip on shoes and a hoodie. I always carry a pair of socks and put them on as soon as I'm seated because I hate being cold on an airplane. I wear a hoodie in case the passenger next to me uses that fan and blows cold air on me, plus it shields me a from the light and I can't deal with the eye masks. I carry snack, mints, my cosmetic bag with lotion, individually packaged hand wipes and lip gloss. I buy a bottle of water after I get past security. I carry a book because it helps me fall asleep and earbuds. I tune in an watch a movie and if I fall asleep, I consider it a bonus.I watch the time left before we are scheduled to land and go to the restroom with enough time before they have to settle in for the landing. I wash my face with my wipes, apply some fresh make-up, run a brush through my hair. This makes me feel a lot more refreshed when we land. When I get to my seat, I shed the socks, tidy up my seat put all my flight "conveniences" back in place. I tried the tip to not take a nap when I arrive in a different time zone and it just does NOT work for me. When I arrive and check into the hotel, I take a two-hour nap if it's international.or something like a 6 or 8 hour time difference. It's enough to give me a much needed rest and to stretch out, and not too much to screw up the time zone for falling asleep that night. I wake up, go out to eat, wander around a bit and then get to bed as early as reasonable. If international, I like to arrive with 2 days pre-cruise and by the time I board the ship, I'm acclimated to the time, rested and refreshed to start the cruise...plus, I've had time to explore the city.

We arrived in Barcelona on a Friday for a Monday cruise departure. We got to the room just after 4pm and we fell DEAD asleep until ... 2:00 a.m. !! WIDE awake ... no more sleep and nothing to do at 2:00 a.m. We played cards and then got ready for breakfast. Took the hoho bus and by 4pm I was sleeping on the bus. It did take 2-3 days to acclimate to the time and weather.

Pick a foreign airline if you can though.

I think that's always good advice. US airlines suck. I just flew American to Hawaii. They did feed us, but leave it to AA to screw up a turkey wrap. It was disgusting. Thank goodness they had coffee and Biscoff cookies to fall back on.

Wow ... you must be flying from the East Coast. Our flights took 1 1/2 days ... with all the time changes and layovers. Was at Seattle airport 10am on a Thurs., arrived at Hilton Barcelona on Fri. 4pm local time. It was exhausting. Lots of books. Sleep as much as possible.

4PM local time in Spain is 7AM Seattle time. So less than 24 hours.

And how did you go to take that long?

4PM local time in Spain is 7AM Seattle time. So less than 24 hours.

And how did you go to take that long?

Did you notice it was "we were AT the SEA airport THURS. 10am and ARRIVED AT Hilton Hotel Barcelona FRIDAY 4p.m." There were layovers and connecting flights.

I think that would be Thurs. 10 a.m. to Fri. 10 a.m. = 24 hours.

Fri. 10 a.m. to Fri. 4 p.m. is 6 hours. Total 30 hours ... ABOUT 1 1/2 days. Just a few hours short of the EXACT 36 hours.

I did state in my post 'given the time changes and connections, etc.'. I don't care about the time difference .... being up ALL night Weds. night getting ready for Thurs. morning, flying over night to Amsterdam and then onto Barcelona .... it was physically and mentally EXHAUSTING.