What's happening with the flooding on Kauai?

Let Me Travel!

Kauai is getting hammered again as I type. So much damage. Many roads washed out. Many homeless as houses just washed away. I don't think there is much for tourists there now. Even part of Oahu is a disaster area. And today will bring a foot of snow to the Big Island. On all islands avoid going into the water/ocean/streams if they are brown. All that dirty runoff from the mountains is not healthy. This batch of rain is the next 3 days and then a break and then another round next week.

Thankfully so far our leeward South Maui area has done relatively okay & have avoided the brunt of the storm unlike other parts of Maui. Our forecast is for showers unlike other parts of the Hawaiian islands.

For anyone interested in current conditions there are many websites such as: http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/

The affects on tourism & cruising are minimal in comparison to those who are losing everything but thankfully I’m not aware of any fatalities. Hundreds of people are being rescued by helicopter because of areas that are now inaccessible.

Even after the rains subside, parts of the Garden Isle will take some time to begin to recover.

For anyone who’s interested, the NCL forum may be a better place to inquire about any affects on cruises because the POA sails exclusively within Hawaii.

We have friends on the Grand Princess right now. Supposed to stop at Lāhainā today and Kauai tomorrow. Have not heard from them so don’t know their status but these reports, videos, etc. are not good . . . Feel worse for the residents though . . .

We leave for Kauai next Tuesday so I’ve been following this closely. TripAdvisor (where many locals report) paints a very different picture than this thread. The general consensus is that all the issues are isolated on the north side of the island. There’s still plenty to do and see in Kauai. If localized weather causes a ship to be unable to port that’s one thing, but it won’t be due to the storm damage. We are still very much looking forward to our trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The ships should be docking fine, the real damage is in a couple small neighborhoods in Koloa that flooded, and then the North Shore, mostly Hanalei and beyond. The road to Poli Hale has been closed for a couple weeks already due to road issues from so much rain ( it is bumpy dirt road). Not sure when it will open as there are much greater needs to the damaged areas from the flooding to road and homes up north.

Besides that you won't see much sign of the flooding on the rest of the island unless you go looking for it, except for possible brown water, and lots of wood and debris on the beaches on the east and north shore mostly near river mouths ( like Wailua/Lydgate, etc).

There is still a massive local community effort that is ongoing to help those in need which is mostly removing debris, shoveling mud, cleaning and tearing out parts of damaged houses, help getting clothing, supplies, food, to those who have lost all their belongings or businesses ( like farms), and/or lost their homes and vehichles. It has been devastating to see the damage done, but encouraging to see the way our island has come together to help each other.

We were in Kauai last Thursday and Friday, yes there is damage, as stated mostly isolated to the north shore. There was no impact to the cruise or our tours. One of our tours indicated that he never takes tours to that area of the Island. We did see the damage but from the air on a plane tour.

Just got back yesterday after 8 days on the Island. Out of all the areas you'd hit on a ship, Hanalei was the only one affected with flooding. And that was cleared up in a couple of days. Restaurants and shops were back open again within about 2 or 3 days of the flood. We landed on the 20th and Pride of America was in as usual. It had zero impact on cruises. I think the road passed Hanalei is now open for locals but the area around Hanalei pier is still going through some clean up.