Canada Place to YVR

I will be flying out of Vancouver on Air Canada Express . Will transfer bus from ship announce where I should get off and once inside terminal I understand I first go,to airline desk- would the Air Canada Express be at the same desk as larger Air Canada? I only ask because in San Diego some of the smaller commuter planes go,out of different terminal. My flight is at 1:00pm

Sent from my iPad using Forums

^No idea how much info, if any, you'll get from the cruiseline bus (I would hope you get at least the choice of 3 stops) but the most important thing isn't which airline, but which destination at YVR.

You're flying to the US, so assuming they do have multiple drops you want the first one - this will be for all US-bound flights as they all go from a specific 'walled off' part of the airport to allow CBP to preclear you for immigration and then you are effectively on US soil - benefit, you land/transfer as a Domestic flight at ANY airport in America. But you cannot move between this area and the Canadian/International areas.

Checking in you are strongly encouraged to use the kiosks - which work for almost all airlines, and definitely for AC whether it's Express, Rouge, or 'normal' AC services. You can use a 'real person' check-in, in which case look for the screens to see where AC Express flights are that day but these generally have much longer queues unless you are First Class so the kiosks are the norm, then you go to bag drop, then Security, then you see CBP for immigration & customs (they'll have a screen showing your bags as they are already 'behind the scenes') before finally heading to your gate.

Hi all,

So, having read a number of threads regarding flight departures I am still confused, hopefully you can help?

We will be one of two ships docking at 07:00 on Sunday September 2, 2018 (a total of 4,000+ passengers). So, assuming that we have a leisurely breakfast, what time, approximately, should we leave the ship to catch a 13:00 flight to Toronto so that we are not rushing (knowing that we have to pick up our luggage, clear Canada customs, line up and catch a taxi, drive to the airport and generally do a repeat at YVR, whilst, at the same time, allowing for a bit of cushion?

We have a choice of either Air Canada or WestJet at that time, alternatively we can catch the next plane, from either airline, at 15:00.

NAGooner

Hi all,

So, having read a number of threads regarding flight departures I am still confused, hopefully you can help?

We will be one of two ships docking at 07:00 on Sunday September 2, 2018 (a total of 4,000+ passengers). So, assuming that we have a leisurely breakfast, what time, approximately, should we leave the ship to catch a 13:00 flight to Toronto so that we are not rushing (knowing that we have to pick up our luggage, clear Canada customs, line up and catch a taxi, drive to the airport and generally do a repeat at YVR, whilst, at the same time, allowing for a bit of cushion?

NAGooner

Leaving the ship by 9am will give you approx 4 hours to get through Canadian Customs, out to the Taxi line, and then a 30 to 40 minute ride to the airport (depending on traffic), arriving there by 11. You would have lots of time to drop off your bags, clear security, and into the departures area before noon.

We have a noon flight to YEG when there are 3 ships in port, and are very comfortable in getting there in loads of time. We plan to be off the ship by 9am, and are taking the skytrain.

But, as with any plan there may be delays, ship, customs, Taxi or Skytrain delays, YVR security (tho we have Nexus cards), etc. Domestically I would not be concerned of any flight time after noon. US bound flights I would be concerned about, as one has to clear US customs in YVR.

^I'd agree - in fact I'd even go further and say that if you were the LAST people off the ship at about 9:30pm you should still be in plenty of time for a domestic 1pm flight on a 2 ship day. I would recommend figuring out the walking route to SkyTrain, just on the off-chance that there's some debacle with taxis. As fellow Canadians you have no currency or language issues with using the ticket machines, and end-to-end travel time is super-consistent (unlike cabs).

While Sunday of Labour Day weekend isn't a notoriously busy travel day at YVR (though land border crossings spike some for last-minute school supply runs at Target in Bellingham!) it's still going to be a little busier than most summer weekends at the airport I would guess (for folks who need to get back home to Do Stuff on the holiday Monday).

I will be flying out of Vancouver on Air Canada Express . Will transfer bus from ship announce where I should get off and once inside terminal I understand I first go,to airline desk- would the Air Canada Express be at the same desk as larger Air Canada? I only ask because in San Diego some of the smaller commuter planes go,out of different terminal. My flight is at 1:00pm

Express check in is the same as regular AC. I think that flight is operated by CRJ900. So its around an 80 seat jet in the Air Canada configuration.

• 4 weeks later...

I am the OP and thought I would check back in and let all of you know about our disembarkation experience and especially our experience with cab fare.

Disembarkation was 5-11-2018. We were in the walk off group, there was only one. This group excited the ship at 7:25 AM. We walked right to a cab and were at YVR by 8:15.

Now here is what surprised me.....before we even left Canada place, the driver said "the fare to YVR is $35." (CAD) I did not know, and still do not think, that there is a fixed rate going to YVR from CP, but the fare sounded reasonable given some fares quoted on this thread.

Once at the airport we ran into another couple from the cruise and they were charged $33 CAD.

Both of us couples were pleased with our taxi fare.

before we even left Canada place, the driver said "the fare to YVR is $35." (CAD) I did not know, and still do not think, that there is a fixed rate going to YVR from CP, but the fare sounded reasonable given some fares quoted on this thread.

Once at the airport we ran into another couple from the cruise and they were charged $33 CAD.

Thanks you SO much for coming back and telling us how it actually went for you. You're correct - there is no fixed fare outbound to YVR. That does not mean that there aren't a few cabbies who are confused (they used to be very confused about boundary streets between zones, until the wording was clarified with a very simple, Plain English, statement that the cheapest zone always applies for example) but more likely your cabbie knew that early morning against traffic the meter would run $33 or less so he'd be in-pocket by a couple of bucks compared to the metered rate.

I wager if you'd been traveling later in the day, especially late enough that rush hour was coming around, he'd have 'remembered' there was no fixed rate because the meter would go up to $40ish... ;-)

If i want to leave the hotel to the airport around late morning on Wedenesday, how long approximately does it take to the airport and how much about the costs, should it be fixed rate?

Thanks

If i want to leave the hotel to the airport around late morning on Wedenesday, how long approximately does it take to the airport and how much about the costs, should it be fixed rate?

Thanks

Hotel downtown to airport any time before 3pm should be about 30minutes and about $30-35 depending which hotel. The ride should always be metered, no fixed rate fares available (although as noted above, sometimes cabbies do offer a fixed rate...)

• 3 weeks later...
I am the OP and thought I would check back in and let all of you know about our disembarkation experience and especially our experience with cab fare.

Disembarkation was 5-11-2018. We were in the walk off group, there was only one. This group excited the ship at 7:25 AM. We walked right to a cab and were at YVR by 8:15.

Now here is what surprised me.....before we even left Canada place, the driver said "the fare to YVR is $35." (CAD) I did not know, and still do not think, that there is a fixed rate going to YVR from CP, but the fare sounded reasonable given some fares quoted on this thread.

So as I mentioned in the other thread, we went from 'final ding' at 7:40 to sitting at gate #83 waiting for our plane by 8:30. Crazy. I almost couldn't process things so quickly mentally.