Black and white night

sammybonny

Over the years I have seen many men wear kilts on black tie occasions. I have also seen men wear tartan trews, but never to my knowledge on P&O. Are trews considered less formal, or is it just that lowlanders are less inclined to wear national dress than highlanders?

Over the years I have seen many men wear kilts on black tie occasions. I have also seen men wear tartan trews, but never to my knowledge on P&O. Are trews considered less formal, or is it just that lowlanders are less inclined to wear national dress than highlanders?

I have seen trews on a number of occasions. Very appropriate.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Trews are just as formal as a kilt if worn with the correct jacket and it’s a personal preference if the wearer. As for seeing them on P&O, you weren’t on our cruise on Oceana in 2015 then from Genoa to Venice when there were a few including my hubby.

Just returned from Britannia's Transatlantic cruise,4 'Black Tie' nights & the majority of men were certainly NOT wearing black bow ties,as I said in my previous post there was a great variety of tie types & even a great variety of colours among those who chose to wear bow ties.

I myself did wear a black bow tie on one of these nights but not on others & certainly didn't feel out of place.

We are on the Transatlantic next March. Can you tell me when the Black Tie Nights we’re please?

On another cruise I went on a gentleman wore his kilt every night. He was friendly and I got chatting to him, the other clothing worn in conjunction with the kilt was; different jackets, no jacket, no tie etc. which meant that he was on some occasions, as he explained, smart casually dressed as opposed to formally dressed. I have come to the conclusion for gentlemen it is perfectly correct to wear a kilt almost any time whatsoever during the cruise if they wish.

The kilt is an intriguing thing. I noticed when in Edinburgh during the festival period a lot of corner shop people wore kilts. This was neither unexpected nor surprising. What seemed interesting was that some of the shop staff wore a kilt in conjunction with a turban. I concluded they were Scottish Sikhs. I know what you are thinking, but no I did not ask about what tartan it was.

Regards John

Just returned from Britannia's Transatlantic cruise,4 'Black Tie' nights & the majority of men were certainly NOT wearing black bow ties,as I said in my previous post there was a great variety of tie types & even a great variety of colours among those who chose to wear bow ties.

I myself did wear a black bow tie on one of these nights but not on others & certainly didn't feel out of place.

Hi, can you tell me which nights the “black tie” nights were? We are on the Barbados Transatlantic to Southampton next year thanks.

Oops sorrybrealised I’ve asked twice,

Edited by rettie

We are on the Transatlantic next March. Can you tell me when the Black Tie Nights we’re please?

On the recent crossing there were 3 black tie nights during the 5 days at sea,the first,third & fith nights, & the 4th was on the next to last night.

The kilt is an intriguing thing. I noticed when in Edinburgh during the festival period a lot of corner shop people wore kilts. This was neither unexpected nor surprising. What seemed interesting was that some of the shop staff wore a kilt in conjunction with a turban. I concluded they were Scottish Sikhs. I know what you are thinking, but no I did not ask about what tartan it was.

Regards John

Probably the Singh tartan, which I understand is a predominantly light blue and green tartan with red, white and yellow.