Is the buffet at Half Moon Cay decent, or should we return to the ship to eat?

LongHill44

We had it two years ago and I personally didn't care for it at all. Would've much rather taken the time to go back on the ship. I didn't like the jerked chicken (and it was only lukewarm at best), the hamburgers & hot dogs were cold, the green beans were cold, and the chocolate chip cookies were just eh. To me, nowhere near as good as the food aboard the ship, to include the Lido buffet.

You're not really having lunch on a gorgeous beach, per se, as someone mentioned. The buffet line is under a large pavilion and there are several smaller pavilions with picnic tables. I guess if you manage to get a seat at one closest to the beach, but with all the trees & bushes, there isn't much of a view.

Yes, Princess Cays has the same kind of lunch. It is fine (both places). You can get a veggie burger if you ask.

No problem here. Hamburgers, hot dogs are fine by us to hang at the beach all day. Just wanted to double check.

Like many others have already said, it's decent, nothing outstanding. I didn't eat a lot last time, just enough to keep me going through the day and then I had a little more to eat at dinner. Tendering takes time and to me it isn't worth going back for lunch.

From what a recall, there was chicken, hot dogs, burgers, assorted pasta type salads, rice, fresh fruit, cookies, tortilla chips, salsa, and probably a few other things that I missed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The 2 times we've been at Half Moon Cay, we stopped at the buffet for salad & hotdog. We weren't crazy about the hamburgers so when we were ready to go back to the ship, we went to Guy's for our burger.

After a busy, active morning in the sun, if you have an appetite I recommend the on-island food buffet. Yes, there are bugs (and equipment to reduce their population), yes there are live chickens and birds wandering around the thatched huts under which the picnic tables sit. All adds to the authenticity of the experience. Try it, you'll (probably) like it.

The Island is the best place EVER...why waste a single minute even considering riding the tender to your ship, walking and elevatoring up to the Lido deck from Deck 0?

We had a cabana rented and really never thought about lunch until just before it closed up.

We got there and fixed our plates and brought them back to the cabana.

It was a cook out. The burgers were burgers, the jerk chicken some in our group still talk about how good it was.

There were some salads and cookies.

I guess the upshot is that it's a decent cookout type meal.

No matter what it is, it is one meal out of your life. If you aren't crazy about it I'm pretty sure you will eat again in a couple hours.

Hunger is the best seasoning, and after a few hours playing in the water, you will be hungry. Over cooked burgers is the forte of the buffet- add extra ketchup and relish, wash it down, and have a great day. HMC is one of the most beautiful places on earth-why would you want to leave?

God willing I will be there in two and a half weeks, cant wait!

Why would anyone want to leave the island even for a minute? They have to drag me off!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes so true and the Best Sign you will ever see cruising " I could stay here Forever" if I have it wrong I know I'll be corrected but does not matter it's the truth.

We were very disappointed in the buffet at Princess Cay (lots of flies) so we decided on a plan for our next cruise to HMC. We will have a larger breakfast and pack a protein bar or something similar in case the buffet is equally unappealing and we get hungry but aren't ready to leave yet. Then once the beach day is done we will grab something from lido if really hungry or just have a larger dinner. We eat enough during a cruise that fasting for one meal shouldn't hurt us ;) (Do what you have to for your dietary/blood sugar needs.)

Once we get back on the ship we would likely not want to tender back again, so I would get something light from the buffet or pack your own snacks rather then spending the time to go back and forth.