Victory missing a lifeboat?

cruiser20145

I'm watching the Victory pull in to Nassau this morning, an it appears that the third lifeboat from the front is missing? Why would this be? I know it was in dry dock not too long ago. Old pictures of her all have a lifeboat there. I noticed it was gone last week, but didn't think anything of it.

Well, probably not exactly a cutback. Maybe, as a means of keeping costs down, Carnival is replacing some of it's lifeboats with inflatable rafts.

I just saw a video somewhere not long ago where that was being tested on MSC cruise ships. this isn't the same video,but the closest one I could find.

I'm watching the Victory pull in to Nassau this morning, an it appears that the third lifeboat from the front is missing? Why would this be? I know it was in dry dock not too long ago. Old pictures of her all have a lifeboat there. I noticed it was gone last week, but didn't think anything of it.

Could it have been used for tendering? Some of the lifeboats on Celebrity Solstice doubled as tendering boats a couple of years ago.

I just saw a video somewhere not long ago where that was being tested on MSC cruise ships. this isn't the same video,but the closest one I could find.

I can't imagine the elderly and small kids going down those chutes without panicking.

OP solved the puzzle... Remember the age old question of how does the crew get back and forth to the ship each day? They use the lifeboats! :D

I think you are close but understand that is where they sleep. They string hammocks each night.

The crew bar is on the ports side.

I can't imagine the elderly and small kids going down those chutes without panicking.

Heck, I'd be a little nervous about dropping down that thing. It might be a good idea for when conventional lifeboats can't be lowered for some reason, or for a way for crew to get off after they evacuated everyone else, but I don't see it being a replacement for all life boats.

Many ships use the "MES" (Marine Evacuation System) "chutes" for crew to board their liferafts, as this saves time and money in not having davit launched liferafts. As long as there are trained personnel at the bottom to get folks out of the way immediately, it is a pretty safe method (there have been some broken bones during training). As far as I know, only Princess has MES stations for passengers, typically only used when booked well over double occupancy.

The reason the Victory may be missing a boat is that there was some repair to the boat, or to the davit launching equipment (likely a bad wire) that required the boat to be removed from the ship, and it could not be completed in time, so they left it for a cruise. So long as they are not booked to capacity (total capacity, not double occupancy), then there is no problem with sailing with a boat short. Oasis did it back when she started, and an NCL ship did it in the Med last year.

Looks like Carnival continues to be a world leader in offering body slides. :)

For the record, I'd be pretty leery of those too....and I really like water parks and body slides.