New to RCI

pxn748

We are taking our first RCI cruise this summer. The Majesty of the Seas on July 23-28 Tampa, Key West and Havana. We have only done HAL before, but they pretty much abandon the Caribbean in the summer. We can only go on one cruise a year and this year we have to go in July. We are very excited to go to Cuba and to try a new cruise line. Both of us have wanted to go for years. What are a few things we should know about RCI?

We've only been on HAL once and that was 14 years ago. We just booked another one for this coming Thanksgiving on the Nieuw Amsterdam. I think that RCI will be a bit more "active" than HAL and, overall, you'll probably have a younger group of passengers on board. Other than that, most of the mainstream cruise lines are more alike than they are different.

We're on the Empress in July going to Cuba and we're looking forward to seeing a new country!

Royal automatically charges gratuity of $14.50 per person per day per if you don't prepay gratuities.

No credit of any kind for price drops after final payment date.

Bookings can be made with refundable or non-refundable deposit, except for Grand Suite and above, which only have non-refundable deposits.

We are taking our first RCI cruise this summer. The Majesty of the Seas on July 23-28 Tampa, Key West and Havana. We have only done HAL before, but they pretty much abandon the Caribbean in the summer. We can only go on one cruise a year and this year we have to go in July. We are very excited to go to Cuba and to try a new cruise line. Both of us have wanted to go for years. What are a few things we should know about RCI?

Prepare to be nickel and dimed everywhere for everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You will only be "nickeled and dimed" if you want to be. There's no obligation to purchase anything that costs extra.

True but it’s annoying. Also you won’t get the “best” of anything without forking over more money.

True but it’s annoying. Also you won’t get the “best” of anything without forking over more money.

I have had many many many wonderful cruises without feeling "nickeled and dined" or "forking over more money".

• 4 weeks later...

We sailed on Majesty last year, we found the staff to be hit and miss, some were very friendly and helpful, others seemed rushed and miserable, this was on a 4 day cruise so maybe they were unhappy about the fast turnarounds.

The ship is small and we forgot how small the cabins are since the last time we sailed on Majesty of the seas, but, in my opinion you are starting right as you will have so many choices of ship to move up to if you like the RCI product.

We enjoyed the dining, especially MDR for breakfast and the compass deli for lunch, the entertainment was so-so.

Hoping you have a great time.

Prepare to be nickel and dimed everywhere for everything.

This sets Royal apart how? Granted I've only sailed with CCL and NCL to this point but from what I've read on the different forums all cruise lines are quite adept at "maximizing onboard revenue streams";). Fact is we pay for everything, either up front in the fare or as we go while we're onboard. Personally I'd rather have the option to pay for what I want rather than having it included in the fare and thereby subsidizing someone else's choices.

I am also looking forward to trying Royal for the first time.

I love Majesty of the Seas. We are trying new ships and itineraries, but I greatly enjoyed my last cruise on Majesty in 2015.

There is a review of that trip in my signature if you would like to read it and see some pictures.