Ordering different drinks at cap.circle party

CRUISEWITHH

At the Plat/Elite Capt Circle on the Ruby last month as DW was going to grab a table I stopped at the bar and ordered a double Bacardi 8 while laying a couple bucks on the bar. No problema!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not being rude, but that's the American way, tip the bartender to get a drink. Brits and Aussies do not have that culture, it is foreign to us.:o:( I certainly would not bribe a bartender or waiter to get me a drink of my choice at the Capts Party, not that I go to them much these days.

If Princess invites me to a "party" in recognition of my loyalty to their product, IMO, I should be able to order whatever drink I want and not have to indulge in the batch mixed beverages being served. Yes, we do tip and tip well, but needing to drop cash to get a particular drink at this event doesn't sit well for me.

At one time we were able to request a real cosmo or chairman; neither of us like the fruit punch based drinks. I still remember when we were offered a nice assortment of hot/cold appetizers. Lat time we attended one of these events, we spotted a few servers and what they had on their trays didn't look appealing, more like reheated dough balls. The cut backs are all about revenue.

We have avoided the last few invites. The line outside the lounge waiting to meet the officers and hand in the invite for the drawing of a bottle of bubble juice [can't tolerate that stuff], isn't something we look forward to. We all the repeaters, these parties are far too frequent to recognize the many repeating passengers. In many ways I feel for the officers who have to smile and shake hands [unless there's some contact virus running around], night after night. Ships are too large for this type of event over and over. Just give me a coupon for a free drink at any lounge either for being loyal to Princess or for being a stockholder [in addition to the OBC].

Leaving in a few days for the British Isles on the Royal and do not have plans to attend the event. Probably skipping the Elite lounge, too since our favorite drinks are no longer on the selected menu. We'll no doubt stop at alternate lounges for our evening drinks - maybe that's the grand scheme Princess has in mind!

Darcy

I just do not understand all this extra tipping!

Suppose we are not really from a tipping culture!

Understand the need for ' When in Rome....', so leave daily service charge on account and have tipped over and above for Cabin steward who gave exceptional service.

But... for drinks at 'party' ??

We have always been able to get a glass of wine ...as recently as January.

I am from the US and do not see the need to tip the waiters at this party.

If Princess invites me to a "party" in recognition of my loyalty to their product, IMO, I should be able to order whatever drink I want and not have to indulge in the batch mixed beverages being served. Yes, we do tip and tip well, but needing to drop cash to get a particular drink at this event doesn't sit well for me.

At one time we were able to request a real cosmo or chairman; neither of us like the fruit punch based drinks. I still remember when we were offered a nice assortment of hot/cold appetizers. Lat time we attended one of these events, we spotted a few servers and what they had on their trays didn't look appealing, more like reheated dough balls. The cut backs are all about revenue.

Darcy

I agree with you on this... and I think at heart Princess intends to present the party as a "thank you for your loyalty." Sadly it seems, the quest for profitability has "watered down" the party overall, notably in food cuts and party time: the traditionally hour long event is now just 45 minutes.

On the subject of the tips.... I recall for my father's wake, we hired caterers and near the beginning one of my younger sister's friends told the bartender: "You know, if you place a glass on the bar and put a dollar in it like this, you'll earn more tips..." to which I stated: "Well, my family appreciates that everyone took the time to come remember my dad, and we've made arrangements to take care of everything, including the gratuity for the service staff. And that's why there isn't a tip jar on the bar."

A good host will take care of everything, and I'm sure that Princess does.

With respect to the Circle parties... a few things are at play here.

Usually there's a line that forms up to 30 minutes before the event starts, and it moves slow with the greetings.

So I wait and arrive a good 15 minutes after it starts, when there's no line.

By the evening of the party, my routine has already been established with those servers that have been enjoying that $1 tip with every drink late afternoons during the PES Happy Hour. In fact, many have said: "l'll look for you tomorrow night during the circle party."

So when I arrive to the full room --crowded with guests and servers working to fill all the special orders-- I walk near the bar and the moment a server in line spots me, they know what to add to their order with the bartenders before I even have to ask.

Related, someone else suggested we should tip because "they are making zero," which is not entirely true.

Brits & Aussies who are not used to tipping, at this event you won't be snubbed for not tipping. Just note that in the time you had to contemplate tipping and brand it a bribe, while waiting for your drink... I was already served mine.

Interesting that you felt compelled to note that you are 'elite'...:evilsmile:

and thus 'earned' the 'right' to make sure everyone knows it , huh?...:rolleyes:

get the hat...:evilsmile:

While it may risk adding a few months to your therapy, I will share that I'm an Elite member as well.

Let me go on to say that leading up to my first cruise with the coveted status I found online a Princess ELITE Package for purchase that included:

• Elite pin that glowed in the dark.
  • Banner to mount of the cabin door proclaiming ELITE STATUS in flashing lights
  • Downloadable music file compatible with most smartphones. This two minute clip features dramatic symphonic music with a choir that chants "Your Elite! Your Elite! All hail to the Elite!"
  • Four hand held flags reading "ELITE" to be distributed to your travel mates so they can waive them as you walk at your side and you play the music clip.
  • Available in the premium version only- a computer hack that taps into the MUTS screen and presents a 5 minute tribute to you and your ELITE status.
  • Available in the Smuggler's Version, the hand held flag posts are actually water proof cylinders capable of holding 16 oz. of the liquid of your choice.
  • Available in the Formal Version is either a smart black cocktail dress tailored with an ELITE motif, or Men's Blazer and matching tie depicting the ELITE motif.

How sad the day I learned it had been discontinued! Completely Sold Out!

And so THAT's the primary reason why if we are Elite, we feel we have to mention it.

It also explains why we still go to these parties. Now that you are in the know... look around... and when the Circle Host recognizes us.... look for the ones like me that you see close our eyes with a with a smile on our face as we shudder and tingle inside.

The crew, drink runners/waiters, make their money by delivering drinks you pay for. This type of gathering they're making ZERO. The "cocktail" served is made in bulk and walked through the crowd. This thread deals with you asking this person to make a special trip so you can get free booze. In this case there is nothing "extra"

Are they not included in the daily service charge ?

Are they not included in the daily service charge ?

Yes, they are.

And Princess covers this by stating that a discretionary gratuity is added to simplify the tipping process.

Right now there are active discussions on the Norwegian board about treatment of the daily service charge which is NOT a gratuity but rather a guest charge that goes towards labor costs. Gratuities and tipping are in no way linked to their service charge.

Princess language again means that their should be no obligation to tip, unless one wishes to recognize exemplary service.

"Making ZERO" would be inaccurate.

Right now there are active discussions on the Norwegian board about treatment of the daily service charge which is NOT a gratuity but rather a guest charge that goes towards labor costs. Gratuities and tipping are in no way linked to their service charge.

You have to understand the vast majority of ships sail under foreign flags. As such, they do not operate under US labor laws. Drink runners get room and board and a small stipend as payment. Their income is from the "tip" added to each drink. Stewards get a portion of the daily service charge. Right or wrong this is the system in place in the cruise industry. If you disagree with this this process, your only vote is through your wallet, don't cruise. By the way, that daily fee had to be added because so many cheap pax left the ship without tipping.

By the way, that daily fee had to be added because so many cheap pax left the ship without tipping.

Before the automatic daily gratuity, there were suggested tipping amounts. Princess changed to the automatic daily gratuity with the introduction of anytime dining since passengers in anytime most of the time had different waitstaff each evening and thus last night tipping would not be practical.

Before the automatic daily gratuity, there were suggested tipping amounts. Princess changed to the automatic daily gratuity with the introduction of anytime dining since passengers in anytime most of the time had different waitstaff each evening and thus last night tipping would not be practical.

So as a matter of interest do pax on Anytime Dining have the option of removing or reducing the automatic daily gratuity?

We do traditional 1st sitting, so we know the policy there.:halo:

The price of a cruise is so cheap because of the low wages that are paid to the staff who are away from home for long periods of time.

We tip them so they will come back after going home forgetting that it's really not worth it.

So please tip your service staff, don't complain and thank them for doing something I could never do.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You have to understand the vast majority of ships sail under foreign flags. As such, they do not operate under US labor laws. Drink runners get room and board and a small stipend as payment. Their income is from the "tip" added to each drink. Stewards get a portion of the daily service charge. Right or wrong this is the system in place in the cruise industry. If you disagree with this this process, your only vote is through your wallet, don't cruise. By the way, that daily fee had to be added because so many cheap pax left the ship without tipping.

Well, well, well, your opening choice of words implies you are speaking to someone ignorant of the cruise industry when in reality the ignorance may best be seen in your reflection and choice of words.

If you read my posts, you'd know that I'm a big advocate of additional cash gratuities, as mentioned in this thread. On top of that, I've posted elsewhere that I follow the years gone by custom of envelopes, now using them for additional gratuities that are above and beyond the service charge which remains in place.

I do so as a personal choice and as a way of showing my appreciation for good service and my understanding of what goes into providing this service. By this I mean, my recognition of the 7 day work week for the 6 - 9 months of a typical contract, living in tight quarters far away from their family.

The Captain's Circle Parties -- which is the focus of this thread-- have devolved into a 45 minute event. These are house hosted events, meaning the cruise line is picking up all of the costs, including compensation to the staff passing food and serving beverages.

Having worked in the food and beverage industry for more than a decade, I can tell you that it's common practice to provide a fixed gratuity to house hosted events. Is it as generous as 20%? Perhaps not, but it's fair. And in the broader picture, the waitstaff understand that it's part of the job, they take the good with the bad.

Now, does that house compensation concept carry over to the cruise line? I don't know. And in all fairness, I think when asked that same question, you'd respond that not only don't you know, but I'll venture this is the first you've heard of the concept.

I'm pretty sure it would be a violation of company policy for a waitstaff member to answer the question as to whether they get a bump in compensation for working the party. But if I did hear "No, we do not," I can't say that I would feel all that bad.

You see, in tipped positions, one takes the good with the bad. Ideally if one could choose, they'd set their schedule to serve drinks only during a busy happy hour, pre-shows, and the two prime-time hours in the nightclub. The reality is someone has to work the opening hour in Adagio where maybe no guests show and someone has to close the nightclub. So what's the difference if some staff have to work one hour at a customer appreciation event that happens once per cruise?

Additionally, a corollary to wallet voting is voting with one's feet. This applies to the staff. Should compensation at Princess become sub par or so far askew industry norm, employees would hire on with competitors.

Finally, when was the last time you were invited as a guest to a dinner party and you felt compelled to leave a tip to the staff that served your meal? Hopefully you didn't insult your host.

The Captain's Circle Party is a 45 minute opportunity for Princess to welcome us into their home and say "thank you" for our continued patronage. It's safe to leave your wallet at your hip.

Begin to worry, however, should the Captain change his spiel and end with a shout out to the staff and reminder not to forget the hard-working staff with a tip before leaving.

Well, well, well, your opening choice of words implies you are speaking to someone ignorant of the cruise industry when in reality the ignorance may best be seen in your reflection and choice of words.

If you read my posts, you'd know that I'm a big advocate of additional cash gratuities, as mentioned in this thread. On top of that, I've posted elsewhere that I follow the years gone by custom of envelopes, now using them for additional gratuities that are above and beyond the service charge which remains in place.

I do so as a personal choice and as a way of showing my appreciation for good service and my understanding of what goes into providing this service. By this I mean, my recognition of the 7 day work week for the 6 - 9 months of a typical contract, living in tight quarters far away from their family.

The Captain's Circle Parties -- which is the focus of this thread-- have devolved into a 45 minute event. These are house hosted events, meaning the cruise line is picking up all of the costs, including compensation to the staff passing food and serving beverages.

Having worked in the food and beverage industry for more than a decade, I can tell you that it's common practice to provide a fixed gratuity to house hosted events. Is it as generous as 20%? Perhaps not, but it's fair. And in the broader picture, the waitstaff understand that it's part of the job, they take the good with the bad.

Now, does that house compensation concept carry over to the cruise line? I don't know. And in all fairness, I think when asked that same question, you'd respond that not only don't you know, but I'll venture this is the first you've heard of the concept.

I'm pretty sure it would be a violation of company policy for a waitstaff member to answer the question as to whether they get a bump in compensation for working the party. But if I did hear "No, we do not," I can't say that I would feel all that bad.

You see, in tipped positions, one takes the good with the bad. Ideally if one could choose, they'd set their schedule to serve drinks only during a busy happy hour, pre-shows, and the two prime-time hours in the nightclub. The reality is someone has to work the opening hour in Adagio where maybe no guests show and someone has to close the nightclub. So what's the difference if some staff have to work one hour at a customer appreciation event that happens once per cruise?

Additionally, a corollary to wallet voting is voting with one's feet. This applies to the staff. Should compensation at Princess become sub par or so far askew industry norm, employees would hire on with competitors.

Finally, when was the last time you were invited as a guest to a dinner party and you felt compelled to leave a tip to the staff that served your meal? Hopefully you didn't insult your host.

The Captain's Circle Party is a 45 minute opportunity for Princess to welcome us into their home and say "thank you" for our continued patronage. It's safe to leave your wallet at your hip.

Begin to worry, however, should the Captain change his spiel and end with a shout out to the staff and reminder not to forget the hard-working staff with a tip before leaving.

AND POSTING IN THAT BOLD GREEN IS JUST OBTUSE, RIGHT ?!?...:mad:

So as a matter of interest do pax on Anytime Dining have the option of removing or reducing the automatic daily gratuity?

We do traditional 1st sitting, so we know the policy there.:halo:

TONE: "Tongue in cheek"

Once upon a time, when cruise ships were very, very small and passenger counts were in just the hundreds per cruise, there was only ONE DINING ROOM that had an early seating and a late seating. That was enough to accommodate the ship's capacity.

And in this one dining room passengers were assigned to one table and would eat every single meal at that table, being served by the same two individuals for the entire cruise.

This a time so long ago that the InterTubes that connect all of our computers and devices today hadn't even hatched. So a frequent dinner conversation, in hushed tones so as to not be overheard by the staff, was what was the right number --per day-- to place in those tip envelopes on the final night. Some argued it should be twice what the person to their left said, while across the table one guest agreed with another table mate who felt the cruise line should just pay the staff more and he wasn't giving any envelopes. In agreement, the other passenger added that where he and his wife were from tipping was culturally unheard of.

Actually I don't remember any conversations like that when I cruised as a child with my parents. Politer society and all, I'd guess. But I do remember them discussing and preparing the envelopes for the two waitstaff and the cabin steward. EVERYONE knew, and EVERYONE presented their envelopes. That was the custom. Some had a dollar more per day than another, while some had a dollar less per day.

In today's modern cruising society we have multiple dining rooms where tables are mostly unassigned. On a 7 day cruise it's possible to be served 21 meals by 21 different crew members. That's a lot of gratuity envelopes!

So... most likely to cut down on stationery costs and the long lines that resulted as passengers waiting to obtain said envelopes, cruise lines implemented the daily service charge.

This revolutionary practice is sometimes cited as the birth of the InterTubes and bulletin boards, today known as Forums: people needed a way and a place to bicker, fight, and express their opinions about how they felt particular cruise lines should be managed an operated. In fact, the very first topic was the daily service charge.

Curse that daily service charge! Because while it was a way to fairly compensate all the staff in the buffet dining room and all the staff in Anytime Dining Rooms who never got envelopes because they only saw people once... it ultimately lead to underworld/black-market-like forums where passengers discuss ways to smuggle alcohol, denounce cruise line dress code and circumvent cruise line rules and policies.

But the GREATEST EVIL the daily service spawned was "The Miser" who thinks it's perfectly fine to eliminate the daily service charge for he and his wife on a 7 day cruise (2 x 13.50 x 7 = 182) and instead hand a $20 to the room steward and a waiter he saw a few times-- not because he felt they deserved it-- but instead to justify the removal of the DSC using the philosophy "I'll tip my way."

Well, well, well, your opening choice of words implies you are speaking to someone ignorant...If you read my posts...

The purpose of these boards is to educate everyone, not just the person starting the thread.

The automatic gratuity started MANY years ago. Guessing over half the people on these board know of nothing else.

If you feel anyone is specifically following your posts, fine. Just don't count me in this small group.

By the way, that daily fee had to be added because so many cheap pax left the ship without tipping.

The purpose of these boards is to educate everyone, not just the person starting the thread.

The automatic gratuity started MANY years ago. Guessing over half the people on these board know of nothing else.

If you feel anyone is specifically following your posts, fine. Just don't count me in this small group.

No need to follow my postings, just read them and others, to avoid making misstatements.

Lastly, consider starting a post with words other than:

"You have to understand..."