Have DUI, can I get off ship in Victoria BC

Back in 2008 I had surgery. I was all stitched up and on pain killers. I drove to store & had tire blow out. I called 911 for help. Instead of helping me, they arrested me for DUI (taking the exact dose 1 pill). Lawyer tried to get me off bec it was prescription and my dr testified but they still gave me DUI after 3 yrs of fighting it. All in all, its on my record as of 2011. Im going on cruise to Alaska out of Seattle next month with one stop being Victoria BC. I just read now that I can be denied access to Canada? Is that true? I would think when I booked it and gave my passport the cruise line would have told me. Can I get off ship and if so, can I get back on? Can they even deny me from boarding in Seattle? Scared to even get off ship now:eek: Can anyone help me with this?

Yes, you could be denied boarding. Whether or not you get off in Victoria is irrelevant. You still have "entered" Canada. You need to call someone official (for the life of me can't think of the name of who but I'm sure someone here can tell you) and get proper information. There is a document you can get that "forgives" your DUI because you are rehabilitated for Canadian purposes. I believe it requires a lawyer. The cruise line does not run your passport when you book a cruise. Homeland Security will when the cruiseline submits it 90 minutes before departure. Canadian Immigration and US Immigration. If you are denied boarding do not expect a refund and you are responsible to have the proper documentation.

Yes, you could be denied boarding. Whether or not you get off in Victoria is irrelevant. You still have "entered" Canada. You need to call someone official (for the life of me can't think of the name of who but I'm sure someone here can tell you) and get proper information. There is a document you can get that "forgives" your DUI because you are rehabilitated for Canadian purposes. I believe it requires a lawyer. The cruise line does not run your passport when you book a cruise. Homeland Security will when the cruiseline submits it 90 minutes before departure. Canadian Immigration and US Immigration. If you are denied boarding do not expect a refund and you are responsible to have the proper documentation.

ty for your response. I called the canadian border serv agency. I got a recording of course but there was an option to press if calling about a recreational boat entering canada for clearance. I pressed it and spoke w agent. He said I cannot enter Canada without rehabilitation papers/clearance but I CAN get on ship in Seattle and just opt not to get off in Victoria Canada. He said you can try to get off but maybe denied or you can pay $200 for a temporary rehab papers but its not guaranteed that they have to review my case and if they say ok i have to pay the $200 and i can get off. Of course, I would not even chance it and just stay on ship. I just hope he is correct. I asked him 2x if hes sure i can get on in seattle, he said yes. I called NCL and 2 supervisors didnt know the answer. I said of the thousands of people they book you cant tell me no one has DUI. She has worked for NCL for 7 years and never had this question and never heard of anyone not being able to get on ship. Im so paranoid now. I dnk what to do as my next step to double check.

ty for your response. I called the canadian border serv agency. I got a recording of course but there was an option to press if calling about a recreational boat entering canada for clearance. I pressed it and spoke w agent. He said I cannot enter Canada without rehabilitation papers/clearance but I CAN get on ship in Seattle and just opt not to get off in Victoria Canada. He said you can try to get off but maybe denied or you can pay $200 for a temporary rehab papers but its not guaranteed that they have to review my case and if they say ok i have to pay the $200 and i can get off. Of course, I would not even chance it and just stay on ship. I just hope he is correct. I asked him 2x if hes sure i can get on in seattle, he said yes. I called NCL and 2 supervisors didnt know the answer. I said of the thousands of people they book you cant tell me no one has DUI. She has worked for NCL for 7 years and never had this question and never heard of anyone not being able to get on ship. Im so paranoid now. I dnk what to do as my next step to double check.

Do a SEARCH on this board and you will find alot of discussion on the DUI and Canada issue. As I recall, you should be fine if you do not get off the ship, but again do a SEARCH and read what others have experienced.

DaveOKC

Do a SEARCH on this board and you will find alot of discussion on the DUI and Canada issue. As I recall, you should be fine if you do not get off the ship, but again do a SEARCH and read what others have experienced.

DaveOKC

I read every single post on thread. Everyone was saying they will not get off ship. no one posted what happened if it worked or if they were denied. All posts were pre cruise posts. Except some posts leaving out of Vancouver w/flying issues of which does not apply to me. Cannot believe I cannot get a solid answer. Even the border website has no answer.

You can't get a definitive answer because no one knows; it's up to the officer.

Lots more information here:

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2009902952_canadadui20m.html

http://www.rainyriverrecord.com/node/14219

http://cruisewithmike.wordpress.com/2013/04/16/visiting-canada-what-you-should-know-before-you-go/

Edited by 6rugrats

No one can tell you for sure what will happen. More info here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/inadmissibility/index.asp

It's not the cruise line's responsibility to inform passengers about everything!

Thank you so much for that link. I went on it. If act was more than 5 yrs ago they can deem it as rehabilitated and choices are...convince the border patrol officer you are deemed rehabilitated and they let you go, or, pay $200 for a temp resident visa for the length of your stay for a one time visit, or they can deny you and mostly you are denied if you committed another crime since. this is all done at port of entry. Now, this was all to enter Canada. There was nothing on the website about entering thru usa and cruise. However, the canadian border serv agency said I can enter in seattle but cannot enter into canada. I just dnk if he is correct bec his job is to decline or let recreational boats into Canada but he did say 2x Yes I can. So, guess I will just show up for cruise and see what happens. My friend will freak out if I cannot get on. She paid for all this and saved for 10 years for this.

I think odds are very good you will be allowed to board. You may have to stay on the ship in Victoria, but who knows? Good luck, and please come back and post what happens.

for sure, I will let you know. As far as I can see it looks like most people are having prob flying out of Vancouver or leaving port of Vancouver. also, taking Ferry from Seattle to Victoria and not allowed off ship. I just want to make sure I can get on ship, I dont care if I miss that port. ive been searching all websites all day for the answer. Im calling the Consulate General of Canada in Seattle Monday. closed until then, guess I will not be sleeping a couple of days. Thanks so much

Several of the Alaska excursions enter Canada and they do check at the border .You will have to be careful so you avoid this issue .

Yes, I know what you mean. In Skagway Im going on the White Pass Scenic Rail and I was worried about that. I called the shore excursion and I looked it up. The one Im scheduled for goes to the Summit and turns around. We dont even get off. Does not require passport. The longer rail 5 1/2 hrs long you change trains in Canada and you need your passport. The rest Im all good. Ty...BTW, I spoke to the Canadian border services and also the US immigration that services Canada, both say I can go on ship w no problem because entering through USA and returning through USA. I just cannot get off ship in Victoria without getting the temp residence permit or being deemed rehabilitated. Im not even going to bother trying. Just going to stay on ship. There is nothing at all I have an interest in seeing in Victoria anyway. Only taking this cruise for Alaska. Even before I found out about this, I had no interest in Victoria anyway LOL. Will enjoy the ship while everyone is in port :D...Now, leaving from Vancouver is a different story. Lucky I just so happened to pick Seattle to leave out of :D

I was so upset....now Im so happy I can go w no problem:D:D:D:D

There is nothing at all I have an interest in seeing in Victoria anyway. Only taking this cruise for Alaska. Even before I found out about this, I had no interest in Victoria anyway LOL...

Sorry you feel this way. Victoria is phenomenal and I do not know one person who might say otherwise. I hope one day you will be able to enjoy beautiful Victoria.

There is a show on Canadian television called Boarder Security in which Customs and Immigration (Canadian Boarder Services Agency) workers in Vancouver (and Toronto) intercept people and goods unlawfully entering our country.

I’ve never seen an episode where these folks visit cruise ships but there are many episodes in which air and land travelers from other countries are interviewed for admissibility. Many of these folks have priors for DUI and have been deemed inadmissible and are sent back to the US (or wherever) on the first available flight, or turned around at the land crossing. The thing about these unfortunate soles (the travelers, not the CBSA) is that they could have just as easily entered Canada were it not for the CBSA spotting a traveler that looks nervous or ‘itchy’.

I doubt that cruisers entering Canada either at a port of entry or is in transit is the type of traveler that would catch the attention of the CBSA. If they did, they’d do what their TV brethren do at their posts, but if you didn’t, then it’s: ‘welcome to Victoria, have a nice day’. I do know that the CBSA offers advice to those deemed inadmissible to go to their local Canadian Consulate. There is a document that you can get from them that will make your conviction go away such that it will placate the CBSA.

I’ve been to Victoria so many times that when we visited by ship the one time, I stayed on board and read a book. Bring your binoculars, ‘though, because you can optically explore Victoria from the high point of the ship very easily. If it’s a nice day, see if you can spot the domes of the Dominion Astrophysical Observatory. It was home to the largest telescope in the world (for about 6 months in 1906).

Edited by Mr_Astro
language error

Sorry you feel this way. Victoria is phenomenal and I do not know one person who might say otherwise. I hope one day you will be able to enjoy beautiful Victoria.

There is a show on Canadian television called Boarder Security in which Customs and Immigration (Canadian Boarder Services Agency) workers in Vancouver (and Toronto) intercept people and goods unlawfully entering our country.

I’ve never seen an episode where these folks visit cruise ships but there are many episodes in which air and land travelers from other countries are interviewed for admissibility. Many of these folks have priors for DUI and have been deemed inadmissible and are sent back to the US (or wherever) on the first available flight, or turned around at the land crossing. The thing about these unfortunate soles (the travelers, not the CBSA) is that they could have just as easily entered Canada were it not for the CBSA spotting a traveler that looks nervous or ‘itchy’.

I doubt that cruisers entering Canada either at a port of entry or is in transit is the type of traveler that would catch the attention of the CBSA. If they did, they’d do what their TV brethren do at their posts, but if you didn’t, then it’s: ‘welcome to Victoria, have a nice day’. I do know that the CBSA offers advice to those deemed inadmissible to go to their local Canadian Consulate. There is a document that you can get from them that will make your conviction go away such that it will placate the CBSA.

I’ve been to Victoria so many times that when we visited by ship the one time, I stayed on board and read a book. Bring your binoculars, ‘though, because you can optically explore Victoria from the high point of the ship very easily. If it’s a nice day, see if you can spot the domes of the Dominion Astrophysical Observatory. It was home to the largest telescope in the world (for about 6 months in 1906).

Langly..If it were not a problem, I had full intentions getting off ship and looking around Victoria. What I meant was I had no excursions planned as there was nothing I wanted to see. Im sure it is beautiful. I have been to Canada about 10 times and loved it. This cruise, my intent was to see Alaska so Im not too upset I cannot get off ship.

Astro...CBSA was the one who said I cannot get off ship unless I apply as you said. You can be deemed rehabilitated if its over 5 yrs. The DUI was over 5 yrs ago but convicted was only 2 1/2 yrs ago. They go by conviction date. I can apply for TRV Temp Resident Visa which is good for one time only. Its $200 and non-refundable and no guarantee you would be approved. I figured for a short day in port it was not worth the $200 and poss not be approved. I also didnt want to flag myself w DUI. I was told by CBSA and US Immigration to Canada I can get on ship but I have nothing in writing and dont want to chance it. As far as Vancouver, yes, if you enter the ship in Vancouver you will prob be denied boarding and have to apply for TRV and its solely up to the officer. Its just a shame. All of this because I was honest and told the cop I took ONE prescribed pain med bec I had surgery. I showed him the script bottle and even my stitches. I was still arrested. Even though I called the police myself to help me w a flat tire...unreal.....ty for advise

This always seems to be an issue for those that are planning a cruise. As mentioned no one ever seems to come back and tell you what happened. Likely a good reason of this.. it's not likely an issue and they don't care anymore.

I believe your chances are pretty good for just getting off like everyone else. They(Canada) will be aware of your record. If asked.... the important move is to "Own it"

As far as boarding a ship in Vancouver goes. You would already be in Canada having entered somehow. Getting on to go to Ak. is an American Immigration check and little if anything to do with Canada. All the agents are US.

Returning on a closed loop from Alaska you are once again subject to Canada's rules and who knows on a bad day someone might not allow you to land from the place you started. But really really unlikely.

DUI is a real buzz killer up here in more ways than this.

On my cruise to St John's last summer in everyone at check in had to fill out a Canadian customs form that was collected and they would let you board unless yo handed it in.

I didn't pay too much attention since I'm checking NO for almost everything but I'm sure it asked about prior convictions.

I don't know if any other Port other then NY is doing that and I assume the info is given to Canadian Authorities.

I will find out again in July when I go back on the same cruise.

I feel your pain... I tried to get myself cleared for issues I had more than 20 years ago now.

It intailed me spending thousands of dollars to Canadian Immigration Lawyers.

Nobody could tell me if I would be kept out or not and just referred me to immigration lawyer.

I have decided I'm just not going. I can get a security clearance here and wont go there... simple...

Enjoy Alaska!

This always seems to be an issue for those that are planning a cruise. As mentioned no one ever seems to come back and tell you what happened. Likely a good reason of this.. it's not likely an issue and they don't care anymore.

I believe your chances are pretty good for just getting off like everyone else. They(Canada) will be aware of your record. If asked.... the important move is to "Own it"

As far as boarding a ship in Vancouver goes. You would already be in Canada having entered somehow. Getting on to go to Ak. is an American Immigration check and little if anything to do with Canada. All the agents are US.

Returning on a closed loop from Alaska you are once again subject to Canada's rules and who knows on a bad day someone might not allow you to land from the place you started. But really really unlikely.

DUI is a real buzz killer up here in more ways than this.

when I spoke to CBSA and US Immigration that services Canada (many locations but the NY location is the one to call that is the main location that services Canada), they both said the same thing. I will not be approached by canadian officers unless I attempt to get off the ship in Victoria. ONLY because I am boarding in Seattle and loop. They said if I got into Canada somehow and I was boarding Vancouver, I would NOT be able to board unless deemed rehabilitated or they gave me temp residence visa (TRV). If and only if I want to get off in Canada I have to apply. I'm not bothering, as long as I get on ship and see Alaska I'm not pushing the envelope. they said you only see Canadian officer when getting off ship in Canadian port. There is NO Canadian officer in Seattle, only US Customs/immigration and they will let me on ship. I have read almost every thread and post regarding this and It seems Im the only one that has spoke to anyone. All are guessing and/or just going to ship and see what happens. I'm only posting this to give people hope that they can get on. However, its totally different if boarding ship in Vancouver. Now, as long as I am told the info correct, it looks good for me right now. I still will be uneasy until i am on board.

when I spoke to CBSA and US Immigration that services Canada (many locations but the NY location is the one to call that is the main location that services Canada), they both said the same thing. I will not be approached by canadian officers unless I attempt to get off the ship in Victoria. ONLY because I am boarding in Seattle and loop. They said if I got into Canada somehow and I was boarding Vancouver, I would NOT be able to board unless deemed rehabilitated or they gave me temp residence visa (TRV). If and only if I want to get off in Canada I have to apply. I'm not bothering, as long as I get on ship and see Alaska I'm not pushing the envelope. they said you only see Canadian officer when getting off ship in Canadian port. There is NO Canadian officer in Seattle, only US Customs/immigration and they will let me on ship. I have read almost every thread and post regarding this and It seems Im the only one that has spoke to anyone. All are guessing and/or just going to ship and see what happens. I'm only posting this to give people hope that they can get on. However, its totally different if boarding ship in Vancouver. Now, as long as I am told the info correct, it looks good for me right now. I still will be uneasy until i am on board.

SORRY I didn't want to confuse an issue that is already just that.

But if you or anyone else is boarding a ship in Vancouver the only Customs/Immigration people you will see are US Authorities. They clear the ship if the first Port is in Alaska or South Bound into the US.

So going back into the US technically is what happens and is a non issue for a US citizen.

On an odd occasion south bound and the first stop is in Canada there is no Immigration check by anyone other that your cruise line check in of required Docs.

It's likely that CBSA folks in the East that answer the phones are unaware of that pre clearance set up here in Vancouver. They have their own issue back there.

For you I agree that you will not have an issue boarding in Seattle and in all likelihood not in Victoria either.

Enjoy your cruise.

DH had a DWI in 1987 and DUI in 1989 none since or any other convictions. We will be on a southbound cruise Seward to Vancouver spending 2 nights in Vancouver. When we get off the ship in Vancouver will he have a problem? Cruise is 4 months away so don't think he would have time to get the temporary permit. Suggestions please.

Can you please post that phone number for the Canadian Border Service Agency. Thanks.