Bringing Drone aboard a ship?

Hello everyone, as some of you know, I am an avid photographer. I am thinking of investing on a good drone to bring aboard my cruises.

Please note, I do not intend to fly the drone aboard the ship, or anywhere near the ship. The main purpose is to fly in the islands, and get pictures of landscapes and such. I was thinking it could get some amazing shots, especially of the private islands. This could bring my reviews to an entire different level.

Has anyone tried this before? I am trying to search for regulations, but I can't seem to find any regarding this matter.

I am truly hoping that this can be done :)

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

We saw someone who brought a drone onboard a couple of years ago. He brought it off the ship and flew it around the beach at St. Croix. Aerial drones are currently on the prohibited list.

• 2 years later...

Also, keep in mind, unmanned aerial vehicles are illegal in many countries. The ship is only part of your concern - you could be bringing a drone to a country that has laws against, or restrictions in place in regards to, civilian drone activity. Each country has their own aviation laws and restrictions which may differ drastically from FAA law.

This video filmed in March during a Royal Caribbean cruise includes drone shots on several islands. I think you have your answer above that you can bring the drone as long as you don't use it on the ship. If you have any questions about it you should post in the thread linked below and I'm sure the photographer will reply:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2618219

There was a drone on our Ovation of the Seas cruise in 2017. I remember watching the guy on our tour flying it in Da Nang Vietnam at the pagoda to the lady Buddha, and at the beach. He was clearly making a video for his excursion. I doubt he asked the Vietnamese government for permission. :eek:

JC

There was a drone on our Ovation of the Seas cruise in 2017. I remember watching the guy on our tour flying it in Da Nang Vietnam at the pagoda to the lady Buddha, and at the beach. He was clearly making a video for his excursion. I doubt he asked the Vietnamese government for permission. :eek:

JC

He was either lucky or prepared. You need a permit to fly a drone in Vietnam.

Also, I believe LIPO batteries cannot be in checked luggage on airlines. They are considered dangerous goods.

For those who cannot read the posted clip, here is the text:

Yes. Guests are welcome to bring drones on their cruise for use on land only and outside of the port area. However, drones are not to be operated onboard the ship at any time, nor on Royal Caribbean’s private destinations: CocoCay, Bahamas or Labadee, Haiti.

While onboard, drones must be stored safely in the stateroom. Drones used on the ship will be confiscated until the end of the cruise. A Guest Conduct Policy warning will be issued and guests may be subject to disembarkation at their own expense for onboard drone usage.

Guests assume full responsibility for understanding all local authority rules related to drone usage and for obtaining any required permissions for drone operations. Different countries may have different rules. Any liability, including environmental damage from drone usage is the guest's responsibility. Royal Caribbean assumes no liability for guest drones that may be confiscated by local authorities for violating local laws or for any accident or injury resulting from a guest drone flight.