Egypt with Viking - is it safe?

HazeGray

We are seriously considering a 2017 Viking river cruise in Egypt. I believe ocean cruises no long make any ports in Egypt and vicinity. We wonder if it there will ever be stability in that part of the world that will allow renewed tourism. Have any members recently completed an Egypt river cruise? If so would greatly appreciate yours comments. Thanks in advance. Dave

We are seriously considering a 2017 Viking river cruise in Egypt. I believe ocean cruises no long make any ports in Egypt and vicinity. We wonder if it there will ever be stability in that part of the world that will allow renewed tourism. Have any members recently completed an Egypt river cruise? If so would greatly appreciate yours comments. Thanks in advance. Dave

Actually there still are a few ocean cruise ships that stop in Egypt. Look for ships that are in the far east that reposition to Europe in the summer, such as Oceania and Regent. It took us 2 cruises to get there (1st cruise cancelled 24 hours before docking due to security issues), but the second one in 2014 was well worth it. The sights are outstanding and we found the people to be very nice. A river cruise also would be nice. The middle east probably will remain in turmoil in the near future but I would rely on the cruise companies to make the determination if it's safe to dock there.

Edited by dabear

Get 3rd party Travel insurance with Cancel for any reason coverage. Call

The Tripinsurancestore or Insuremytrip and get comprehensive coverage. Not from the Cruiseline!

Edited by JVilleGal

There is a comprehensive review of a Uniworld Egypt trip from last Fall by Wendythewanderer and Davethewanderer if you do a search for Egypt.

If I recall they give a day by day and do address safety concerns. Sounds like a wonderful trip

To answer your question about "is it safe" in Egypt. I lived in Saudi Arabia for five years in the 80s and traveled to Egypt twice. Loved Egypt, it has so much history and many of the temples, tombs and key sites are in amazingly good condition considering their ages. Egypt was ancient to the Romans when they took over the country in the 1st century BC.

Now, on topic, I consider myself very informed on Middle East history and religion. Also, while I am not privy to the intelligence reports regarding terror threats in Egypt, I do follow what the experts are saying these days. I wanted to take my Wife to Egypt, since she has never been there.

We booked a cruise that included Egypt and Israel for 2012, but it was cancelled. We haven't tried to go, even thought conditions have improved somewhat.

The Arab Spring, resulted in the overturning of the long standing pro-American dictator, Mubarak. The uprising started with political liberals, but was taken over by the radical Muslim Brotherhood. The Brotherhood then won the election with Mohamed Morsi taking the Presidency. Morsi and the Brotherhood squandered their popular election by allowing radicals to destroy and burn Christian churches and punish their enemies. This largely turned the populace against the Brotherhood and the Egyptian military took over. Gen. el-Sissi was the leader of the military and was subsequently elected as President of Egypt.

Gen. el-Sissi has stabilized the country and set it on a non-radical anti-terror course, even though the US government cut aid to Egypt. Later, the USG did partially resume aid to Egypt.

The Muslim Brotherhood has not gone away, but they are not in charge of the government anymore.

While the country is more stable, terrorist are still targeting foreign tourists. A Russian airlines out of the Sinai Desert restore area was blown up with a bomb onboard some weeks ago.

Tourists are still being targeted by terrorists to damage the important tourism industry and indirectly hurt the government. Still, tourist groups have armed security guards at all times and that does provide some measure of security.

It is safer to visit Egypt now than a few years ago, but I am still not planning a trip there. I suppose if I had not been there before, I might do so. Egypt is not to be missed. It is a personal decision you have to make. Suggest you go with a tour group and stay with the group at all times. Stay away from the Sinai area. Follow the guidance from the US State Department and current media outlets.

"The Arab Spring, resulted in the overturning of the long standing pro-American dictator, Mubarak. The uprising started with political liberals, but was taken over by the radical Muslim Brotherhood. The Brotherhood then won the election with Mohamed Morsi taking the Presidency. Morsi and the Brotherhood squandered their popular election by allowing radicals to destroy and burn Christian churches and punish their enemies. This largely turned the populace against the Brotherhood and the Egyptian military took over. Gen. el-Sissi was the leader of the military and was subsequently elected as President of Egypt. "

We were in Egypt in early April of the year Morsi was to be overthrown. Our tour guide (who was very educated), told us that there would be an overthrow of the government in June (which did happen) as a result of not only what you said, but also the poor people (some of whom were paid to protest) found conditions were no better than before and gas price supports were going to be removed. Clearly, I would not travel in the Sinai, but would cautiously visit the main sights in Egypt.

Edited by dabear

There is a comprehensive review of a Uniworld Egypt trip from last Fall by Wendythewanderer and Davethewanderer if you do a search for Egypt.

If I recall they give a day by day and do address safety concerns. Sounds like a wonderful trip

We did discuss safety a lot, and lots of other folks waded in on this topic. In short, it is not a concern. In deciding for yourself, though, you should look at the comments we and various other people made in our threads.

-- David

Here are the links to our two separate threads:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2274753&highlight=egypt

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2274435&highlight=egypt

There has been quite a lot of discussion of Egypt here in the last while, as you'll find if you do a search.

I will just reiterate that safety was a concern, but any doubts we had were allayed by the security measures in place. And seeing the wonders of Egypt outweighed any of our doubts.

Uniworld did offer a "cancel for any reason" policy, which we took advantage of, just on case.

...Tourists are still being targeted by terrorists to damage the important tourism industry and indirectly hurt the government. Still, tourist groups have armed security guards at all times and that does provide some measure of security...
While I think that you are spot on saying that tourists are targeted to sabotage tourism and indirectly the government, I will take a contrarian view of armed security. I have traveled several times for weeks at a time alone on the local economy in Egypt (admittedly not since the Arab Spring) and felt much safer than I do many places in the US. The philosophy of "shut down tourism to get rid of the government" was a standard practice during Mubarak's tenure, and he responded with the armed tourist police for "protection". IMO the segregated tourist groups with armed guards are merely enhanced targets for terrorists. I was at Deir el-Bahri near Luxor shortly before the 62 people (58 tourists) were massacred in 1997. This generated massive publicity and was a major blow to the tourist industry. While it was obvious that I was a tourist, and I made no attempt to deny US citizenship when asked, I found the population quite friendly and helpful. The one BIG advantage I as a solo traveler had over tour groups was no armed guards, and very little publicity if I should happened to be killed. Basically I wasn't worth killing, since that would not achieve significant publicity. I happened to be back in Egypt when the US commenced bombing Iraq in March 2003, and once again it wasn't worth anyone's time and effort to even think about killing me. I recognize that many are comforted by those armed guards, but personally I vote for low profile.

Thom

PS I have been to many places around the world, and the wonders of Egypt rank near the top of my list. Since this is the river cruise board, I will mention that I managed a low profile Nile cruise, traveling (and sleeping) on the deck of a felucca from Aswan to Luxor - a fascinating trip, but I'm sure the Nile Majesty that I sailed on would have a vessel rating of zero stars (but actually very good food), so not for most people.

While I think that you are spot on saying that tourists are targeted to sabotage tourism and indirectly the government, I will take a contrarian view of armed security. I have traveled several times for weeks at a time alone on the local economy in Egypt (admittedly not since the Arab Spring) and felt much safer than I do many places in the US. The philosophy of "shut down tourism to get rid of the government" was a standard practice during Mubarak's tenure, and he responded with the armed tourist police for "protection". IMO the segregated tourist groups with armed guards are merely enhanced targets for terrorists. I was at Deir el-Bahri near Luxor shortly before the 62 people (58 tourists) were massacred in 1997. This generated massive publicity and was a major blow to the tourist industry. While it was obvious that I was a tourist, and I made no attempt to deny US citizenship when asked, I found the population quite friendly and helpful. The one BIG advantage I as a solo traveler had over tour groups was no armed guards, and very little publicity if I should happened to be killed. Basically I wasn't worth killing, since that would not achieve significant publicity. I happened to be back in Egypt when the US commenced bombing Iraq in March 2003, and once again it wasn't worth anyone's time and effort to even think about killing me. I recognize that many are comforted by those armed guards, but personally I vote for low profile.

Thom

PS I have been to many places around the world, and the wonders of Egypt rank near the top of my list. Since this is the river cruise board, I will mention that I managed a low profile Nile cruise, traveling (and sleeping) on the deck of a felucca from Aswan to Luxor - a fascinating trip, but I'm sure the Nile Majesty that I sailed on would have a vessel rating of zero stars (but actually very good food), so not for most people.

Thom,

Interesting story. Egypt is a wonder. It frightens me to think if ISIS every takes over Egypt and destroyed the many ancient temples and tombs,

Personally, I would not want to travel in Egypt solo. While in Saudi Arabia, I had Egyptian friends that gave me some good advice about traveling there.

They said not to eat in any cheap restaurants, or eat food from street vendors. One person told me only to eat in a minimum 4 star hotel. Also, never drink the water unless the bottle was clearly unopened. Apparently, parasites abound in the Nile waters, especially closer to the Med.

Also, he warned about going into out of the way places, with little or no police presence.

On my first trip to Egypt, I took a taxi from the airport (alone) to the Ramasees Hilton, where I was staying. On exiting the airport, the taxi driver had to sign in with a security person or policeman and I had to indicate where I was going and show a copy of my passport. My name and destination was taken down as well. I discovered that the reason for this was that tourists were being taken to the desert, robbed, women raped and left there. Some died of exposure.

This was in 1984, when things were better than they are now.

You may have a point about the armed guards attracting attention, but if you are on a cruise and taking tours with clearly western people, it will be no mystery to the bad guys.

we did Egypt in 2009, Arab Spring but after the German tourist terrorist attack. Because of that assault on tourists at Luxor and the crippling effect it had on the economy, we had an armed guard with us every time we left the hotel and there were two (that I knew of) on board the Omar el Khayyam and the Jewel of the Nile (?)....nobody treated us badly and I loved the sights and the people. That being said I would go now but only with a European or American tour company. While I don't disagree with Thom, I think at our ages, I feel more comfortable with the protection. I would go but avoid demonstrations, large crowds and going out alone at night. But I would avoid all of those things in any major city on the planet these days. Believe it or not, there is (or was) very little crime against individuals....it's against their religion and penalties were severe.

Edited by Hydrokitty

we did Egypt in 2009, Arab Spring but after the German tourist terrorist attack. Because of that assault on tourists at Luxor and the crippling effect it had on the economy, we had an armed guard with us every time we left the hotel and there were two (that I knew of) on board the Omar el Khayyam and the Jewel of the Nile (?)....nobody treated us badly and I loved the sights and the people. That being said I would go now but only with a European or American tour company. While I don't disagree with Thom, I think at our ages, I feel more comfortable with the protection. I would go but avoid demonstrations, large crowds and going out alone at night. But I would avoid all of those things in any major city on the planet these days. Believe it or not, there is (or was) very little crime against individuals....it's against their religion and penalties were severe.

After reading Thom's description of his SA train rides, I have great respect for his sang froid -- but that's not the way I want to travel!

After reading Thom's description of his SA train rides, I have great respect for his sang froid -- but that's not the way I want to travel!

Me too, Jazz......I envy people who can travel like that....it's just not for me!!! I guess that's why there's so many travel companies that take care of all the major stuff...for people like us. :D

I do know that a number of people think my modes of travel are insane, and they may well be correct.:cool: I believe that I can be in my easy chair in my living room, and a meteorite might crash through the ceiling and kill me - when my time comes it comes, but until then I'll enjoy the trip. I'm not trying to convince you to follow my example, but if you choose, you are welcome to read and perhaps enjoy the stories while saying "this guy is nuts!":p I have a high school classmate whose idea of a good time was to kayak around Ellsemere Island in the far north Canadian Arctic - I consider him crazier than me.

Thom

We have finally decided to take the plunge and are planning to do a Nile River cruise in February 2018. We've been to Egypt once, a tantalizing whirlwind 36 hour shore excursion in 2007, and we've wanted to go back every since. Every year or so we'd look seriously at going to Egypt and then bump it down the list and go somewhere else. But this time, we're going. Yes, it is with a tour group but we are making independent plans for a few days pre and post cruise in Cairo and Luxor with a tour guide. We've kept an eye on the situation and we've talked to people who have been over there recently. Of course the situation could change in the blink of an eye and if it does we'll make plans accordingly. I guess it depends on your comfort level.

Edited by Anubi

My husband and I are looking into going to Egypt next January or February. All of the major river cruise company's websites said to contact them for dates and prices. Here's what I found out last week. Of the three companies who were in Egypt this year, Avalon is not scheduling for next year, however, Viking and Uniworld are. We are also considering Abercrombie and Kent's land and 4 night cruise. We would not do a trip like this on our own, as we trust these companies choices of guides, hotels, etc.

Get 3rd party Travel insurance with Cancel for any reason coverage. Call

The Tripinsurancestore or Insuremytrip and get comprehensive coverage. Not from the Cruiseline!

Absolutely!

Shop for it immediately after making your booking and initial deposit. Every cancel for any reason policy sold by those two brokers has a time limit, no more than 30 days and as short as 7. Also, some of the policies do not cover 100% of the loss if the cancellation is not for a covered reason.

• 1 year later...
We have finally decided to take the plunge and are planning to do a Nile River cruise in February 2018. We've been to Egypt once, a tantalizing whirlwind 36 hour shore excursion in 2007, and we've wanted to go back every since. Every year or so we'd look seriously at going to Egypt and then bump it down the list and go somewhere else. But this time, we're going. Yes, it is with a tour group but we are making independent plans for a few days pre and post cruise in Cairo and Luxor with a tour guide. We've kept an eye on the situation and we've talked to people who have been over there recently. Of course the situation could change in the blink of an eye and if it does we'll make plans accordingly. I guess it depends on your comfort level.

Just curious if you went to Egypt? and if so, what was your experience relative to the security questions posed on this thread?

Thanks

Dan

Just curious if you went to Egypt? and if so, what was your experience relative to the security questions posed on this thread?

Thanks

Dan

We went to Egypt in November and there was security everywhere but we never felt unsafe! It is a great time to go as with tourism so very low, you don't have the crowds. It surpassed my expectations!!!! A beautiful country with wonderful people.

I posted in this thread last spring. My husband and I ending up choosing Abercrombie and Kent. We went on their ten day trip this past January (2018) and had a wonderful experience. We spent two nights at the Mena House to see the sites in Giza, then four nights on a river cruise from Luxor to Aswan, with a day trip (plane flights) to Abu Simbel. The last three nights were at the Four Seasons in Cairo. We never felt unsafe. Both A&K and the Egyptian government required our tour to have an armed guard with us at all times, except on the ship, which had it's own guards. Even on our optional half day tour of Coptic Cairo, we felt safe. As has been said, now is the time to go as the crowds are low. The only crowded place was the Cairo Museum, but our wonderful guide maneuvered us around them.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan, we backed out. We are going but just not sure when. :D

However, we were there on a private shore excursion in 2007 and there was quite a bit of security with us and they took it very seriously. We had wandered off by ourselves in the Museum and even that was frowned on. But I will say that I never felt unsafe at any time.

Anubi, we just returned from Viking's Nile cruise and at no time did we not feel safe. Both buses were escorted by a police car and a private, armed security guard was with us at all times on each bus. He went every where with us and made sure that no one bothered us.

We had some free time to wander around the sites on our own and again, never felt unsafe.

Anubi, we just returned from Viking's Nile cruise and at no time did we not feel safe. Both buses were escorted by a police car and a private, armed security guard was with us at all times on each bus. He went every where with us and made sure that no one bothered us.

We had some free time to wander around the sites on our own and again, never felt unsafe.

Thanks for the update Sharon. The lure of Egypt is strong. We were talking about it again tonight and I think we're going for it. :D:D:D