Damaged luggage?

CS-RN

Wondering if anyone has had experience with this....we departed Adventure on Saturday, and our (almost new) suitcase took a beating on disembarkation. The handle was ripped off on one side, and there is a big rip in the corner. I would understand if just the handle was broken, but the fact that there is a big rip also tells me that this bag was treated pretty roughly. Is it worth contacting Royal? Would they assume responsibility for any of this? I'm sure somewhere in the cruise contract there is language releasing them from liability for baggage, but thought I'd check if anyone had experience with this.

I have traveled for years. I used to fly every week and often more than one destination in a week.

I NEVER had a bag damaged. Maybe due to good luck or quality luggage, I don't know?? Now, I have had things break inside the bag, but no damage to my bags.

We had a bag damaged but not sure who did it, cruiseline (we did luggage valet so didn't see our bag before arriving at home airport) or carrier...however...Upon arriving at LAX DL exchanged it for a comparable bag on the spot...they took us into a room and had us sign papers and repack everything into the new bag...they of course keep the damaged one...Amazing service...I was not ever aware of...Thanks DL !!

We had a bag damaged but not sure who did it, cruiseline (we did luggage valet so didn't see our bag before arriving at home airport) or carrier...however...Upon arriving at LAX DL exchanged it for a comparable bag on the spot...they took us into a room and had us sign papers and repack everything into the new bag...they of course keep the damaged one...Amazing service...I was not ever aware of...Thanks DL !!

Good deal.

As a recommendation, we use TravelPro Crew or better for luggage.

A Lifetime Warranty.

Careful though, as it's a Lifetime Limited Warranty with these specific exclusions:

The Travelpro warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship but does not cover wear or damage caused by abuse, mishandling, accidental damage, inappropriate selection, or carelessness caused by an airline or other common carrier.

In the course of normal handling, your luggage may suffer abrasions, minor cuts, scratches, dents or soil. certain component parts such as wheels, bumper feet, leather, etc., will show wear. This wear is not covered under the warranty.

Careful though, as it's a Lifetime Limited Warranty with these specific exclusions:

Ok. But I have personally had a set of their luggage for almost 30+ years and worst case a zipper pull has fallen off. We are still using them with our cruises. They cost a little more but it is your luggage.

On our last cruise, we saw had least multiple travelers with wheels falling off as well as handles. Just saying, if you want something to last, buy what 90% of the aircrews use.

Edited by troykahack

Guess we have had some bad luck with our luggage. Once it looked like it got run over by a plane (this was at the airport). Someone admitted that it fell off the trolley when being transported and the trolley driver never notice and ran it over and dragged it for several hundred yard across the pavement. The airline gave us a new replacement piece of luggage in a back room (guess this happen frequently by the amount of luggage they had back there to offer us).

On the cruise ship, we once had it badly damaged by the porters who we gave it to when boarding or on the ship before it was delivered to the room. When you see damage, report it immediately to Guest Services and they try their best to repair it by the end of the trip for you. In our case they could not (they snapped off several wheels somehow). They asked how much they paid for it and gave us cash at Guest Services when we checked out. They never asked for proof of what we paid for it or how old it was. We had to stop at Target to pick up a new suitcase before heading to the airport and carried our stuff off the ship in plastic bags.

Another time on the ship, another piece was considerably damaged when delivered to the room but it was still usable. They put OBC on our shipboard account.

Funny thing is that every time we tipped the porters at the dock, our luggage always arrived damaged. If we did not tip, our luggage arrives in perfect condition. Seems backwards....

For the OP, I think you are out of luck unless you reported the damage in the terminal before leaving the terminal. Otherwise, they would have no clue if the airline did it or them.

Good luck.

Guess we have had some bad luck with our luggage. Once it looked like it got run over by a plane (this was at the airport). Someone admitted that it fell off the trolley when being transported and the trolley driver never notice and ran it over and dragged it for several hundred yard across the pavement. The airline gave us a new replacement piece of luggage in a back room (guess this happen frequently by the amount of luggage they had back there to offer us).

On the cruise ship, we once had it badly damaged by the porters who we gave it to when boarding or on the ship before it was delivered to the room. When you see damage, report it immediately to Guest Services and they try their best to repair it by the end of the trip for you. In our case they could not (they snapped off several wheels somehow). They asked how much they paid for it and gave us cash at Guest Services when we checked out. They never asked for proof of what we paid for it or how old it was. We had to stop at Target to pick up a new suitcase before heading to the airport and carried our stuff off the ship in plastic bags.

Another time on the ship, another piece was considerably damaged when delivered to the room but it was still usable. They put OBC on our shipboard account.

Funny thing is that every time we tipped the porters at the dock, our luggage always arrived damaged. If we did not tip, our luggage arrives in perfect condition. Seems backwards....

For the OP, I think you are out of luck unless you reported the damage in the terminal before leaving the terminal. Otherwise, they would have no clue if the airline did it or them.

Good luck.

What brand or manufacturer??

What brand or manufacturer??

Not really sure which piece you were referring to, our damaged one or the one the airlines gave us. The airline gave us a Skyway piece. We bought a K-Swiss with the cash RCCL gave us, and I do not remember what make the damaged pieces were.

The crew seriously abuses luggage. I saw it myself:

Once on boarding day we were walking down the hallway towards our room -- we always board early as possible -- and we heard a loud THUMP, THUMP, THUMP noise. If definitely commanded our attention.

A crew stairwell door was standing open so we could see in -- we weren't meant to see this -- and we saw the crew at the top of a stairwell literally THROWING suitcases from the top of the staircase. They were BUMP, BUMP, BUMPING down the stairs and landing in a big pile (inside the stairwell); I assume someone else was going to come take it from that floor's stairwell.

We actually saw some of our own stuff in the pile, and no crew were at the bottom of the stairs, so my husband stepped into the stairwell (yeah, that's not allowed, but so what?) and took our stuff before it was covered up with other suitcases.

With that treatment, I'm surprised more stuff isn't broken. That experience has affected the way we pack: We pack lighter now and, if possible, try to carry on our own stuff. We also double ziplock sodas and toiletries.

The crew seriously abuses luggage. I saw it myself:

Once on boarding day we were walking down the hallway towards our room -- we always board early as possible -- and we heard a loud THUMP, THUMP, THUMP noise. If definitely commanded our attention.

A crew stairwell door was standing open so we could see in -- we weren't meant to see this -- and we saw the crew at the top of a stairwell literally THROWING suitcases from the top of the staircase. They were BUMP, BUMP, BUMPING down the stairs and landing in a big pile (inside the stairwell); I assume someone else was going to come take it from that floor's stairwell.

We actually saw some of our own stuff in the pile, and no crew were at the bottom of the stairs, so my husband stepped into the stairwell (yeah, that's not allowed, but so what?) and took our stuff before it was covered up with other suitcases.

With that treatment, I'm surprised more stuff isn't broken. That experience has affected the way we pack: We pack lighter now and, if possible, try to carry on our own stuff. We also double ziplock sodas and toiletries.

Oh, I agree. Luggage is abused. All the more reason to obtain a brand that is known to handle this stress.

Not really sure which piece you were referring to, our damaged one or the one the airlines gave us. The airline gave us a Skyway piece. We bought a K-Swiss with the cash RCCL gave us, and I do not remember what make the damaged pieces were.

K-Swiss is Target Store luggage and Skyway, they a PVC hardside luggage which retails for no higher than $115. I wouldn't say these were top of the line luggage, although they may look nice.

TravelPro and Tumi are sold only through their own Kiosk or high end luggage stores.

Edited by troykahack

Saddleback bags are amazing and I've used them for years. They come with a 100 year warranty. Because they are made of real full grain leather, they stand up to a ton of abuse.

Not cheap, but the good stuff rarely is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Saddleback bags are amazing and I've used them for years. They come with a 100 year warranty. Because they are made of real full grain leather, they stand up to a ton of abuse.

Not cheap, but the good stuff rarely is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used a Saddleback bag to carry AMMO when I was shooting Sporting Clays. It was one tough bag. Didn't realize they made larger luggage bags. They are certainly bulletproof.

• 1 year later...

I will NEVER cruise Royal Caribbean again! I don't care if it is a free cruise! 2 worse cruises I have EVER been on! The last straw....I purchased their insurance and they literally poked a huge hole in my hard side luggage. When we claimed our luggage at debarkation the porters took them and put them directly in the taxi and I didn't notice the hole until we got to our hotel a few miles away. I immediately took pictures so it had a time stamp, all the luggage had been dented and one with the hole. When I got home I filed a claim and they said they needed a form from RC so I called them and they said you could have damaged it in the taxi so we cannot help you! REALLY!?!?! So I guess before you EVER TOUCH your luggage in that huge room of luggage where they are yelling at you to get the hell out as fast as you can, stop everything and find an RC employee and take them to your luggage and point at it.

Wondering if anyone has had experience with this....we departed Adventure on Saturday, and our (almost new) suitcase took a beating on disembarkation. The handle was ripped off on one side, and there is a big rip in the corner. I would understand if just the handle was broken, but the fact that there is a big rip also tells me that this bag was treated pretty roughly. Is it worth contacting Royal? Would they assume responsibility for any of this? I'm sure somewhere in the cruise contract there is language releasing them from liability for baggage, but thought I'd check if anyone had experience with this.

Deleted

I will NEVER cruise Royal Caribbean again! I don't care if it is a free cruise! 2 worse cruises I have EVER been on! The last straw....I purchased their insurance and they literally poked a huge hole in my hard side luggage. When we claimed our luggage at debarkation the porters took them and put them directly in the taxi and I didn't notice the hole until we got to our hotel a few miles away. I immediately took pictures so it had a time stamp, all the luggage had been dented and one with the hole. When I got home I filed a claim and they said they needed a form from RC so I called them and they said you could have damaged it in the taxi so we cannot help you! REALLY!?!?! So I guess before you EVER TOUCH your luggage in that huge room of luggage where they are yelling at you to get the hell out as fast as you can, stop everything and find an RC employee and take them to your luggage and point at it.

Bye

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On our two week cruise/land tour to Alaska many years ago the porters put a three-corner tear in my new HUGE rolling duffle. I was told to purchase a new piece of luggage at our first port and turn the receipt in to the service desk for reimbursement. Not many places close to port in Juneau that sold luggage. They sent me to the store on board and gave me a very small replacement that was no way large enough for our land tour. They took my bag the first night to “repair” the bag and they delivered it to me the last night on board. They duct taped the tear. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. Good luck. Hope you have better luck than I did.

How heavy was it? How old was the bag?

I’ve had a few break like that and tear as well but it was usually larger more heavily used bags that were maxed out in their weight. Tears can happen easily on cheaper luggage.

If this was expensive stuff then it might be worth a try. If it was $150 for a 3 bag set I wouldn’t waste my time.

I doubt they do anything or they would be giving out a lot per cruise for damaged luggage.

Ok. But I have personally had a set of their luggage for almost 30+ years and worst case a zipper pull has fallen off. We are still using them with our cruises. They cost a little more but it is your luggage.

On our last cruise, we saw had least multiple travelers with wheels falling off as well as handles. Just saying, if you want something to last, buy what 90% of the aircrews use.

Travelpro is sturdy luggage. No doubt! But, as a flight attendant for 28 years, I can tell you, I try NEVER to check my work suitcase. If I do check it, I expect it to come back damaged. No ones cares about your bags, whether checked with an airline or a cruise line!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums