Live from Carnival Legend: 8 Things to Keep in Mind If Considering a Carnival Austral

LauraS

• 6 months later...

They should make them watch a Nick "The Honey Badger" Cummins video, to explain the lingo.. Where just freindly lovely people.. Plus we reckon we get to live on the greatest place on Earth. Come-on down & experience the beatuiful blue Pacific & a bit of OZ..

They must have heard a New Zealander using the word “togs”, no one in Australia ever calls them that! They’re “swimmers” in Australia.

Also as an Australian I found a lot of this cringeworthly untrue haha the only really accurate part is the bit about tipping, Australians are happy to pay more in menu prices to have all fees,taxes and gratuities/service charges always included in the pricing - we like keeping everything straight forward and simple :) So whilst here, including on our cruise ships you can put your tips away as no one expects or wants tipping here - we like our way of what you see is what you pay!

Hope to see some of you on cruises out of Australia!

Don't forget cruisin-m, there are different words used in Australia. I have lived in three States and have had to learn a different dialect in each. Swimmers in NSW, bathers in SA, cossie in Queensland (and I think Queensland itself is divided).

You are right on tipping, and not because we are mean, because we pay a wage to do the job and expect that the job is done properly for the sake of the job, not for extra money.

Don't forget cruisin-m, there are different words used in Australia. I have lived in three States and have had to learn a different dialect in each. Swimmers in NSW, bathers in SA, cossie in Queensland (and I think Queensland itself is divided).

You are right on tipping, and not because we are mean, because we pay a wage to do the job and expect that the job is done properly for the sake of the job, not for extra money.

Exactly right! Togs however is almost unheard of here although we know the term from when our Kiwi mates use it ;p:D

I've looked into sailing on Legend in Australia and found that my Carnival VIFP points do not count. I would have to start over at square one with Carnival Australia. I'm platinum with Carnival, so I am taking my business to Holland America, where my points are good and continue to accumulate no matter where they sail.

Most of the people I know are horrified at the thought of being able to smoke inside a public venue so we would join the "whiners" if we sailed out of America.

Taters, I didn't know that. I accumulate VIFP points on Australian sailings, I assumed I could add to them if I did the Alaskan trip I'm dreaming of.

I've looked into sailing on Legend in Australia and found that my Carnival VIFP points do not count. I would have to start over at square one with Carnival Australia. I'm platinum with Carnival, so I am taking my business to Holland America, where my points are good and continue to accumulate no matter where they sail.

Call Carnival directly. They told us our VIFP points would count.

Rest assured they are counted! We have completed 4 Australian and 4 US Carnival cruises, with 1 more in 2 weeks. The only catch is you may have to manual add your AU cruise. When I called Carnival on an unrelated matter, she did tell me also they weren’t counted and I had to politely tell her that I’m looking at my profile now, I they are definitely included as I can see every cruise and all my points!

VIFP points do count, I think the people you're getting on the phone don't quite know what they're talking about.

When I click the VIFP tab on the Carnival AU site it actually directs me to the US site... it's all one VIFP.

Great article, considering this cruise...if I can swallow the airfare! :p

We pay $800 to $1000 US dollars return for Sydney to LA.. Most 8 or 9 day cruises would be about $1000 US for a balcony. Per person... Something to think about.. May-be.

Oh before i go SYDNEY Harbor is The World's best... There's no better departure with a Aussie sunset through The Sydney Harbor Bridge...:):)

Rest assured they are counted! We have completed 4 Australian and 4 US Carnival cruises, with 1 more in 2 weeks. The only catch is you may have to manual add your AU cruise. When I called Carnival on an unrelated matter, she did tell me also they weren’t counted and I had to politely tell her that I’m looking at my profile now, I they are definitely included as I can see every cruise and all my points!

Good to know! Thanks for setting me straight everyone! :D

They must have heard a New Zealander using the word “togs”, no one in Australia ever calls them that! They’re “swimmers” in Australia.

I've lived in Victoria all my life and grew up calling them either bathers or togs. Swimmers seems to be a NSW thing. http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/history-culture/2016/01/togs-or-swimmers,-australian-lingo