New Builds Possibly

It is being reported that Fred Olsen Junior has announced that they are looking for a yard to build a new series of ships. They are thinking around 600 berths on each ship. So smaller than the current ships. I am surprised they would go smaller when they have no for expedition for expedition cruises. We will see.

Apparently second hand ships are now too big for Fred. Presumably that means no Oriana or Oasis of the Seas for Fred Olsen.

Interesting and time will tell.

https://shipmonk.co.uk/2018/02/28/series-of-new-600-passenger-ships-announced-by-fred-olsen-junior-at-launch-of-cruise-lines-2019-20-brochure/

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been sailing with Fred. Olsen since 1991 and there has always been talk of new builds.Initially this was to replace the "Black Prince" but nothing came of it except the purchase of the current ships which were, of course, second hand. It would be nice if it were true but I shall believe it when I see it.

I have been sailing with Fred. Olsen since 1991 and there has always been talk of new builds.Initially this was to replace the "Black Prince" but nothing came of it except the purchase of the current ships which were, of course, second hand. It would be nice if it were true but I shall believe it when I see it.

Same here. I will believe it when they place the order. Apparently it was a statement by an Olsen family member speaking in an official capacity. Other family members, shareholders and banks may have a different opinion. Who knows? Positive as far as it goes.

Best wishes, Stephen.

There are a number of ships that would be suitable for Fred. For example, the Ex Renaissance class ships, and ships that the luxury cruise lines. will be replacing in the future. However, given that Fred. have announced their Captains in Funchal cruises in 2020, nothing is likely to happen in the near future. We are trying Cruise & Maritime for the first time this year, and will be interested to see whether Fred.s much higher prices are justified.

I took one cruise on Cruise & Maritime "Magellan" a few months ago. The ship was fine but the organisation and crew weren't a patch on Fred. Olsen. It would be interesting to know if things have improved.

I took one cruise on Cruise & Maritime "Magellan" a few months ago. The ship was fine but the organisation and crew weren't a patch on Fred. Olsen. It would be interesting to know if things have improved.

A friend of mine is taking his first CMV cruise this month. I am eagerly waiting his report before I decide to book a CMV cruise. Our last two cruises with Fred have not been entirely satisfactory so I am looking for other alternatives.

I just went to the link in the first post again, to look at the list of 2019/20 Cruises and it has disappeared! I am guessing the writer wasn’t supposed to release this info yet!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A friend of mine is taking his first CMV cruise this month. I am eagerly waiting his report before I decide to book a CMV cruise. Our last two cruises with Fred have not been entirely satisfactory so I am looking for other alternatives.
We sailed CMV to the Fjords last year and found it entirely satisfactory. I don't think you will be disappointed if you give it a try.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Same here. I will believe it when they place the order. Apparently it was a statement by an Olsen family member speaking in an official capacity. Other family members, shareholders and banks may have a different opinion. Who knows? Positive as far as it goes.

Best wishes, Stephen.

We were invited to the captain's table and I was sat next to the captain on a cruise a few months ago. I asked about new builds, which had been mentioned last year by Fred Jnr as I understood it. I came away with the impression that the Olsen Family are not at one with each other regards this. The cruise lines are a mere 2% of the whole Fred Olsen empire and the comment was that Fred's sister (who is chair of the entire business), would be rid of the cruise line as it does not make enough money. Arguments put against that include that is good PR for the overall business. The excessive cost of a new build was also mentioned.

As I have mentioned on another thread, we would pay more for better ships if itineraries are right for us - but that means something really different. I suggest Fred needs to do what some other companies do and provide different ships for different types of cruises. The quality of itineraries and port speakers that were offered by All Leisure, would be one start, if only on some cruises or one ship.

We tried CMV two or three years ago and decided it is not for us. Had all the disadvantages of Fred and none of the quality points. Their itineraries are far better than Fred's though IMO.