Silversea to Offer Unlimited Wi-Fi to All Passengers

LauraS

With a week left to wait before I board The Shadow in Hong Kong for a b2b of almost a month, I am doing a happy dance over the wonderful news of included WiFi. Both my daughter and my niece have big jobs, and teenage children. “Free” WiFi will be terrific for them.

ENJOY UNLIMITED WI-FI ON YOUR CRUISE

Dear Guest,

Sailing around the world with Silversea leaves you with unforgettable memories. On your upcoming voyage you’ll capture remote landscapes, engage in authentic cultures, and savor regional flavors. These unique experiences will expand your global perspective, broadening your connection to the world in the most immersive way.

And now during your voyage you’ll be plugged into the world around you — and beyond. Starting April 1, 2018, Silversea will offer free unlimited Wi-Fi access to every suite on board all of our intimate, ultra-luxury ships. You’ll enjoy Unlimited Standard internet access for up to 2 simultaneous devices per guest. Or upgrade to Unlimited Premium access for only $29 per day, including 4 simultaneous devices per guest. Full voyage discount packages are also available, with prices varying based on voyage length.

Whether it’s catching up on emails or sharing rare moments from your cruise on social media, you will stay connected at sea and enjoy a world wide web of possibilities with Silversea. Plug into our world, as we look forward to welcoming you aboard for the voyage of a lifetime.

This is a change that will benefit those who need unlimited internet so a big plus for them.

Two challenges:

One is possible impact on performance. Hopefully this has been tested by Silversea prior to rollout so that it doesn't degrade the service.

The other one is hopefully people will not be on various devices 7x24 in the various venues including dining rooms and even doing things like texting when walking in the corridors as even on land that is starting to detract a bit.

I wish cruise lines could turn off the internet signal in dining venues.

Like most things time will tell how all of this works.

Keith

I am currently on board the Explorer.

We have unlimited internet since the start of this cruise a week ago.

It is working perfect on Android gear but logging on on a Windows 10 divice is a challenge.

They now about the problem but it not fixet yet:D

One is possible impact on performance. Hopefully this has been tested by Silversea prior to rollout so that it doesn't degrade the service.

The other one is hopefully people will not be on various devices 7x24 in the various venues including dining rooms and even doing things like texting when walking in the corridors as even on land that is starting to detract a bit.Keith

It rolled out to some suites the past cruise. Service turns off after a short period of inactivity.

I wish cruise lines could turn off the internet signal in dining venues.

Keith

Why is this a problem? I normally dine alone and always carry my iPad with me so I can read while waiting.

Marilyn

Why is this a problem? I normally dine alone and always carry my iPad with me so I can read while waiting.

Marilyn

Keith is regularly (and reasonably) championing the value of choice. But here he apparently is ready to eliminate choices of which he does not approve.

Keith is regularly (and reasonably) championing the value of choice. But here he apparently is ready to eliminate choices of which he does not approve.

Observer, you crack me up! I believe we may have met on a Regent cruise some years ago.

I do object when someone is talking on a phone in a dining room, but I don't know what the problem would be with reading an e-book or email. It's equivalent to reading the ship's newspaper at the table, imo.

Observer, you crack me up! I believe we may have met on a Regent cruise some years ago..

Quite possibly. I used to spend many days on Regent/Radisson until they raised their single supplements (previously 40% if one booked early) and included tours in the base fare. My divorce had nothing to do with the product, just the pricing.

Marilyn

I look forward to reading the news on my tablet at breakfast. Wouldn't want to give that up.

We just got off the Muse and this was in effect. You are allowed unlimited wifi with one device at a time connect. If you try to connect another device the server will tell you another device is active, do you want to disconnect it. If you say yes your device will connect and the other disconnect. On this ship the connected device will stay connected until you disconnect it, inaction will not disconnect it. We found the internet to be fast with no dead spots on the ship. I observed people using their devices in the same manner they would on land, after all isn't that the idea? give people the option and allow them to choose!