Carnival Cruise offers teen $5,000 trip for Snapchat handle

trherald

The Carnival representative was in the midst of saying, "We'd like to offer you one free cruise every year for the next five years." But just as they told Darian, "We'd like to offer you one free cruise..," Darian screamed, "I'll take it!" When Carnival execs got the news, it looked a little something like this...

?format=750w

I just saw this on my newsfeed this afternoon. I'm so happy for that kid and his family!

Should of held out for free cruises for life!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Forums mobile app

The downside is higher taxes for life.

I would have liked to have held out too, but it would take me quite a while, if ever, to convince myself that owing an extra $1,100 in taxes each year(assuming a $5,000 cruise and the 22% tax bracket) was worth it. It would cut my refund in half.

If I was in his situation, I would prefer cash. I would hold out for way more than $5,000. I could use some of that cash to pay the higher taxes, upcoming dental work(at least $10,000), make a down payment on a house, and still be able to go on cruises.

Edited by Tiger0613

• 4 weeks later...

It's nice to see they've changed tactics; I got a legal notice a few years back advising me they would be filing suit against me for my CarnivalCruiser.net website. At the time I had a few family cruise photos and nothing objectionable. I ignored the letter, but did reply to the email that I am a Carnival Cruiser and they are Carnival Cruise Line. I don't claim to be Carnival.com or affiliated with Carnival.

The downside is higher taxes for life.

I would have liked to have held out too, but it would take me quite a while, if ever, to convince myself that owing an extra $1,100 in taxes each year(assuming a $5,000 cruise and the 22% tax bracket) was worth it. It would cut my refund in half.

Seriously?? You would not pay $1,100 for a $5,000 cruise? Most folk here go gaga for AARP gift cards at a 10% discount.

Seriously?? You would not pay $1,100 for a $5,000 cruise? Most folk here go gaga for AARP gift cards at a 10% discount.

1) I like getting the refund amount that I currently get.

2) There is no way to set aside cash from the prize to pay taxes because the prize didn't come with cash.

3) I refuse to go on the Vista class. I can spend $1,100 of my refund on a ship I actually like.

4) I only buy AARP cards closer to the sailing. I only apply them to my Sail & Sign account. I have to pay the entire cruise fare and taxes with my credit card to get the travel benefits.

1) I like getting the refund amount that I currently get.

2) There is no way to set aside cash from the prize to pay taxes because the prize didn't come with cash.

3) I refuse to go on the Vista class. I can spend $1,100 of my refund on a ship I actually like.

4) I only buy AARP cards closer to the sailing. I only apply them to my Sail & Sign account. I have to pay the entire cruise fare and taxes with my credit card to get the travel benefits.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you do not have a degree in a business discipline, because none of this makes any sense financially.

These are my preferences. I don't have to justify them to you.

I didn’t ask you to, because, really, I don’t think you can justify any of this financially to me or anyone. Just stating the obvious. I guess it takes all kinds, if everyone was a financial genius there wouldn’t be any market inefficiencies to exploit.

If anyone ever offers you a free cruise, PLEASE let me know before you turn it down. I’d gladly pay your taxes on it if you would pass it on to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by dsotm73

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you do not have a degree in a business discipline, because none of this makes any sense financially.

dsotm73,

10% discount makes sense. Part of 'business' sense is saving money and vacations are about doing what you want to do.

dsotm73,

10% discount makes sense. Part of 'business' sense is saving money and vacations are about doing what you want to do.

I don't see where I said it didn't make sense. I use the AARP cards extensively, paid off my entire upcoming cruise with them. It's the rest of that poster's rationale/post that makes little sense.

I don't see where I said it didn't make sense. I use the AARP cards extensively, paid off my entire upcoming cruise with them. It's the rest of that poster's rationale/post that makes little sense.

It makes perfect sense to not go on a ship that I dislike. Why make myself miserable when I would rather be on a different ship?

I also prefer to not have to pay extra taxes and higher filing fees. Winning a free cruise would force me to file the full 1040 instead of just a 1040A. Filing a 1040 at H&R Block costs more than filing a 1040A. I won a $1,000 grocery gift card in 2016. I got a 1099-MISC. A 1099-MISC can only be filed with a 1040.

I prefer not to have to pay taxes with money already set aside for another purpose. I would rather it come out of the prize. That is why I would have no problem winning a lottery or slots prize. The prize is all cash.

Some credit cards come with really nice and potentially valuable travel benefits, but you can only use them if you pay your entire fare with that credit card. Carnival gift cards don't come with those benefits.

It amazes me at how some people can afford to buy AARP Carnival gift cards seemingly every week/month. I plan out when I will pay for my vacation expenses, life insurance premium, dental work, and other yearly or one-time expenses a year in advance. I need to know when that money is going into or out of my savings account. I can't afford to buy the AARP Carnival gift cards whenever I feel like it.

It makes perfect sense to not go on a ship that I dislike. Why make myself miserable when I would rather be on a different ship?

I guess I just don't understand how any cruise, much less a free one, would make one miserable.

I also prefer to not have to pay extra taxes and higher filing fees. Winning a free cruise would force me to file the full 1040 instead of just a 1040A. Filing a 1040 at H&R Block costs more than filing a 1040A. I won a $1,000 grocery gift card in 2016. I got a 1099-MISC. A 1099-MISC can only be filed with a 1040.

I bet it didn't cost you an additional $1000 to file that 1040, so you came out way ahead. So rather than pay H&R another $40, and pay another $1,100 in taxes, you turn down a $5,000 cruise? This is what doesn't make sense to me financially.

I prefer not to have to pay taxes with money already set aside for another purpose. I would rather it come out of the prize. That is why I would have no problem winning a lottery or slots prize. The prize is all cash.

So sell the cruise and use the money to pay taxes.

Regardless, we're only talking about a hypothetical prize, so no more from me on the subject. I would wager if we asked you and 999 other people on these boards if they would take a $5000 cruise if they won it, you would be the only one who said no. Any rational person would take it. But as I said, it takes all kinds,

I guess I just don't understand how any cruise, much less a free one, would make one miserable.

I bet it didn't cost you an additional $1000 to file that 1040, so you came out way ahead. So rather than pay H&R another $40, and pay another $1,100 in taxes, you turn down a $5,000 cruise? This is what doesn't make sense to me financially.

So sell the cruise and use the money to pay taxes.

Regardless, we're only talking about a hypothetical prize, so no more from me on the subject. I would wager if we asked you and 999 other people on these boards if they would take a $5000 cruise if they won it, you would be the only one who said no. Any rational person would take it. But as I said, it takes all kinds,

1) I don't like the Vista class. Also, a free cruise is never free for a US citizen unless someone else pays the taxes and doesn't ask for reimbursement.

2) I don't have to do it just because it makes financial sense to you. Do you enjoy paying taxes on something isn't income? A non-cash prize forces you to pay the taxes out of pocket instead of from the prize.

3) Alot of prizes are non-transferable. If I did sell it, I would still be paying additional taxes.

My preferences are rational for my circumstances. You can clearly afford to waste money paying taxes on every prize that comes your way. Not everybody can do that.

This is a public forum, so you are free to reply to my comments, but there was no need to insult me for the choices. Yes you did insult me by calling me an irrational person. You called me an irrational person by saying any rational person would take the prize.

The more i think about it i think we were had....no one brings in star..go for billboards truck etc unless fix is in. Also, carnival does not need negative media from suing a teen. This one is part of bigger settlement than we know.

The more i think about it i think we were had....no one brings in star..go for billboards truck etc unless fix is in. Also, carnival does not need negative media from suing a teen. This one is part of bigger settlement than we know.

I would have been pissed if they plastered my name all over the city trying to find me. I don't like that kind of attention. I don't want to be bugged by the media or anyone else. If that did happen to me, I would dig my heels in further and refuse to give up the Snapchat handle.

dsotm73,

Your exact words were "because none of this makes any sense financially."

Now do you see it? :confused: