Questions about Singapore

debut

first time in Singapore and Asia. Can you take bottle water in shops, taxis and metro trains? Is the water good from the tap? Also can you take a snack and have it on a park bench in the city? Anymore things I may need to know, we have 3 days there before our cruise and are getting excited! Thanks

first time in Singapore and Asia. Can you take bottle water in shops, taxis and metro trains? Is the water good from the tap? Also can you take a snack and have it on a park bench in the city? Anymore things I may need to know, we have 3 days there before our cruise and are getting excited! Thanks

Don't spit out your chewing gum or litter.....It's a "Fine City". We loved Singapore.

I knew about the gum, just wondering mostly about taking water in buildings and taxis. I think I will love Singapore and have no problems at all with their laws. I respect all countries we visit, if I can't I'll stay on the ship

We have just a few days ago come back from Singapore. The water was fine to drink from the tap in the hotel. I must admit I didn't think about it elsewhere as we usually had our water flask or bottled water. Taxi rides aren't that long so I never needed to drink in the taxi.

Just a tip if you take a taxi from the airport. If you need to use a credit card make sure you let the dispatcher know. We needed to and he made sure we got a taxi that could take a CC. Also there is a slight surcharge for using a card. There are ATM's in the airport if you wish to take out some cash.

I can't see a problem eating a snack on a park bench as long as you clean up after yourself. They are very strict about not littering.

If you go to Garden's By the Bay and go to buy tickets for the Flower and Cloud Dome, don't be put off by the long line. It is very efficient and moves quickly. They had people going down the line and checking what tickets people wanted and sorting it out before you had to pay your money at the front. It made things work more efficiently. We did this in the afternoon with American friends and we all appreciated the cooler temperature in the Domes.:)

Julie

Welcome to my country!

Bottled water is ok. Just don't litter. You can definitely take a snack and have it on the park bench. People do that all the time.

Where will you be staying and which ship are you sailing on, if I may ask?

Here is a video of Boat Quay to share with you.

[YOUTUBE]8Y3PPm3lQr4[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks everyone, good info! We are staying at Holiday Inn Express Clark Quay and sailing on Golden Princess April 10. Have two days to enjoy Singapore. Thanks for info on Gardens by the Bay, will an afternoon be long enough to see everything, then maybe stay later for the light show?

I don't want to hijack this thread, but is there a hawker center or food court close to the Marina Bay cruise center or Gardens by the Bay?

Don't miss going to Lau Pa Sat (Google to see what not to miss) for the best night time food "Satay"...starting at 6:30pm they close down the street for this...so good we went two nights during our precruise. Use the MRT if necessary...very easy to do.

Thanks everyone, good info! We are staying at Holiday Inn Express Clark Quay and sailing on Golden Princess April 10. Have two days to enjoy Singapore. Thanks for info on Gardens by the Bay, will an afternoon be long enough to see everything, then maybe stay later for the light show?

The first light show starts at 7.45pm. We saw it for the first time this visit after many times to Singapore, this was on a seperate night to our walk around the Gardens with our friends. My husband and I just went to the Super Tree Grove and sat on one of the Benches of a tree facing towards the main big trees. It was lovely and set to music. I actually could see it across the Bay from our room but it is much better sitting IN the Super Grove. :). The show lasted about 20 minutes.

We then went to Satays By the Bay for a Satay snack as we had eaten earlier. 20 mixed Satay for S$14 was all we needed @ a little shop called Sri Geylang right near the footpath near the water. Lau Pau Sat is also great for dinner but we just wanted quick and easy after the show.

We spent probably 2-2.5 hours covering the Domes after getting there around 2pm. We then did the Skywalk about 20 minutes. At the ticket place they actually recommend you don't buy the ticket for the Skywalk till you're ready to do it. This is because if it is very rainy or the wind picks up you won't be allowed to go on the Skywalk. Again it was quick to buy a ticket for us. The garden area surrounding is huge with sculptures and lakes. The main problem is once outside of the Domes getting tired and hot, and we are used to heat here in Perth.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Edited by frantic36

I don't want to hijack this thread, but is there a hawker center or food court close to the Marina Bay cruise center or Gardens by the Bay?

Satay By the Bay is at Gardens By the Bay that opens at 11.30am till around 10pm. Makansutra Gluttons Hawker Centre is across the Bay from Marina Bay about a 20-30 minute walk but is only open after 5pm.

We stayed in Mandarin Oriental and enjoyed walking across the Helix Bridge to both Gardens By the Bay and Marina Bay shopping area a few times. Though we shopped at Marina Square as the price point there was better for our budget :cool:. We enjoyed lunch at Marina Square twice as they have a large variety of food places there, both Asian and Western.

Julie

Yes, Marina Square area is great. Plenty of eateries, as well as a food court. In this video, I walk from Pan Pacific Hotel, to Esplanade MRT.

[YOUTUBE]gAXTI2UaE2I[/YOUTUBE]

On another day, I was at the Marina Mandarin Hotel. They are all connected.

[YOUTUBE]6qqm4kECCeg[/YOUTUBE]

Don't miss going to Lau Pa Sat (Google to see what not to miss) for the best night time food "Satay"...starting at 6:30pm they close down the street for this...so good we went two nights during our precruise. Use the MRT if necessary...very easy to do.

Yes, the nearest MRT station would be Raffles Place on the North-South line. It is about a 5 min walk from the station to Lau Pat Sat.

From the Marina Bay Cruise center, best would be to take the MRT from Marina South Pier Station (which is a 5-8 minute walk from the cruise center) to Raffles Place station (for Lau Pat Sat), or to City Hall station, where you will find plenty of eateries and food court at the Raffles City Shopping centre. Raffles City is also where the Fairmont is located.

Everyone is so nice and helpful, getting a lot of info, and Luv has great videos, if Singapore is as friendly as everyone on this board, it's going to be fantastic! Thanks again everyone :D

I will echo Debut's comments. So much information so generously given. And great videos! Thank you all.

Glad you liked the videos. It is my hobby to make videos, and very happy that the videos can help promote my country as a tourist destination. I've got more coming up!

Welcome to my country!

Bottled water is ok. Just don't litter. You can definitely take a snack and have it on the park bench. People do that all the time.

Where will you be staying and which ship are you sailing on, if I may ask?

Here is a video of Boat Quay to share with you.

8Y3PPm3lQr4

However, park benches are hard to find. They certainly don't encourage loitering!

Satay By the Bay is at Gardens By the Bay that opens at 11.30am till around 10pm.

From what I could tell, Satay by the Bay had similar prices to Lau Pa Sat. My wife has trouble walking so it seemed like a bit of a walk from the gardens area to the food area. Once you're out there, it's a walk back, or like we did just use Uber to call for a ride. They had more than Satay. It was really quite when we were there (no crowds).

Satay by the Bay is a good spot for lunch because there are fewer local there.

At lunch time all Singapore outside food areas are very busy & HOT.

Not far from Marina Bay food court - you can walk through underground in AC comfort - is the 2nd largest shopping mall in Singapore. SUNTEC City - it also has one of the largest fountains in the world & a large food court around the fountain underground.

It is literally a stone throw from Conrad Centennial hotel & on the HOHO bus route.

Also busy at lunch time but in AC comfort.