Celebrity tenders - Kailua-Kona and Lahaina Maui

kokopelli-az

We are looking at a Celebrity cruise in 2019 that stops at Honolulu, Kailua-Kona, Lahaina Maui and Hilo. Celebrity's website says that Kailua-Kona and Maui are tender stops. Has anyone with mobility issues (using a walker, wheelchair or scooter) been able to get off at the tender stops?

We are looking at a Celebrity cruise in 2019 that stops at Honolulu, Kailua-Kona, Lahaina Maui and Hilo. Celebrity's website says that Kailua-Kona and Maui are tender stops. Has anyone with mobility issues (using a walker, wheelchair or scooter) been able to get off at the tender stops?

Here is what a Celebrity website says:

"Many ports provide easy access for wheelchairs and scooters, however due to various conditions: steepness of the gangway, tendering, weather, tidal and sea conditions, and shore-side facilities, guests using assistive devices may be precluded from getting on or off the ship. We will make reasonable efforts to assist our guests, but for safety reasons, our staff is not permitted to lift guests or equipment. Assistance with manual wheelchairs, walkers, canes, etc. will be provided."

As you can tell, this is a difficult question to answer since a firm statement really cannot be made until the time of tendering, and each case is different depending upon the mobility of the passenger and the equipment he/she needs. We have tendered into and out of Lahaina many times over the years, and climbing from the dock down into the tender and up out of it can be a challenge.

• 2 weeks later...
There are no private tenders at Lahaina. It will be ship's tenders.

Thanks that could be very slow, but we have priority tendering. I don’t think Ovation has been to this port before ... she carriers 4200 guests so it will be busy. Ship tour sounds like it’s the best option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks that could be very slow, but we have priority tendering. I don’t think Ovation has been to this port before ... she carriers 4200 guests so it will be busy. Ship tour sounds like it’s the best option.

You will find that no matter whether you arrive on the smallest cruise ship or the largest one or take a large or small tour, there is still only one speed at which Maui (all of Hawaii actually) works, and it is hardly fast. It is called Maui time. Take heed and relax.

You will find that no matter whether you arrive on the smallest cruise ship or the largest one or take a large or small tour, there is still only one speed at which Maui (all of Hawaii actually) works, and it is hardly fast. It is called Maui time. Take heed and relax.

haha we get it, we've been to hawaii many times but never to Maui!!

At tender ports best is to book a shorex from the ship in order to get the Priority Ticket. For our Eclipse cruise schedule says arrives at 8:00AM and all ship shorex starts at 8:31AM

Going on Solstice this Sunday out of Honolulu. If you are going to take a ship's tour, I'd recommend booking it early. The prices only go up. This surprised me a bit because I thought they were overpriced to begin with.

We prefer to do it on our own so we'll have to wait for the ship's tours to take the tenders first. At least we're Elite in Celebrity's loyalty membership program (Captain's Club), so we'll have some priority. However given the older crowd on this 12-day cruise, I suspect there's going to be a lot of Elite members.

Scooters are not allowed on the tenders. The rocking can be a major liability. We are here right now ( leaving Maui) and the staff has gotten people with walkers and wheelchairs on and off. Our friends use a scooter and had to leave it behind.

We were on the Pride of America which tenders in Kailua-Kona. My friend used an ECV/scooter on board but left it on board. She was able to climb up and down the steps to and from the tender but with a bit of trepidation. She uses a straight cane for walking. It was a calm day. The crew helped her off and then on again at the pier. If the sea is choppy it may be too difficult for someone with mobility issues to get up and down the stairs to and from the tender. Remember the tide will change while you are off the ship so it will make a difference in your getting back on the tender at the pier. I am a physical therapist so I am aware of some of the challenges for people with mobility issues. ;) When we booked the cruisewe discussed the tendering (the PoA only tenders at Kailua-Kona) we agreed that if the sea was choppy and it was too difficult for her to negotiate the steps we would stay on board at that port.

We are middle-aged and able bodied and found getting on and off the tenders to be a little difficult. There is an incline and large step to get on and off the ship and you have to time it due to the ship rocking. That being said we did see people with canes going on the tenders and there is plenty of crew to help. There were times where the tenders had to wait midway in the water for other tenders to pass so we were floating in rocky water which might affect someone easily prone to seasickness.