Over 70 Participation in Excursions

Travelcat2

I was just browsing through some of the Splendor itineraries and noted that in Grand Cayman there are two excursions that require a doctors note to participate in if you are over 70. Given the extremely active passengers on Regent - many above 70, what do you think of this restriction?

Below is a description of one of the excursions (2 person activity level)

STINGRAY SANDBAR SWIM

Experience the graceful beauty of one of Grand Cayman's undersea denizens up-close during this stingray swim and snorkeling tour.

One of the most popular excursions on Grand Cayman is a visit to the world-famous Stingray City Sandbar in the North Sound, where you can snorkel and wade among these friendly Southern stingrays. It is one of the few locations in the world where man can interact with these shy creatures in their natural habitat.

Depart the pier for the brief drive to your snorkeling boat. Upon arrival, you will embark your boat and cruise to the sandbar. Here, you will feed and play with these magnificent creatures in their natural habitat, where the water depth ranges from 3-5 feet.

Following your swim with the stingrays, you will be transferred back to the pier and ship.

Please note: This tour is recommended for active guests in good physical condition. This tour is not recommended for guests with limited mobility or guests who utilize a wheelchair. Guests are advised to wear a swimsuit under a cover-up, sunscreen, a hat and sunglasses, and bring a towel from the ship. Snorkeling gear is included, and allows for better viewing of the stingrays. There is neither coral nor fish at the sandbar. The maximum age is 70 years old unless the guest has a note from their doctor that they are able to participate.

Since most people don't tell the truth about their physical condition(s) away, why not-it's better to be safe than sorry. Just read your own post regarding people that shouldn't be taking some tours. If we look deeper with Regent I'd guess insurance as a part in this.

Since most people don't tell the truth about their physical condition(s) away, why not-it's better to be safe than sorry. Just read your own post regarding people that shouldn't be taking some tours. If we look deeper with Regent I'd guess insurance as a part in this.

Regent has had people sign waivers for years to take some excursions - that is not a big deal In my opinion. The issue many of us have on excursions is people with walking issues taking excursions that require a lot of walking/hiking/stairs. In terms of insurance, people fall and hurt themselves on excursions (and getting onto and off of tenders) - even when they are young and able bodied. Not sure how Regent deals with that.

Not sure how I feel about this - just checking to see what the small percentage of Regent cruisers on this board feel. I'm also not trying to argue with you (just to be clear) but thought that it was important to bring up the waivers and the number of "accidents" that happen regularly where age is not a factor.

My husband Herb is a very active man in his 80s. He swims every day and exercises all the time. He has gone scubadiving and wherever we are that offers snorkeling, he goes. On our last Regent cruise to the Caribbean, about three years ago, he went on a snorkeling tour in St. Barts. He was never asked for a doctors note. This must be a new policy.

He did have to sign a waiver before he went into the water. This has always been the policy. That was fine. It certainly should be enough for the ships protection.

With everything else we do to get ready for a cruise, that now becomes another item on our list. I will bet that anyone who asks their doctor for a letter will get it.

I agree that too many people book excursions beyond their level. I am very careful not to interfere with very active folks, of which my husband is one. So I will stay on the bus when there is too much walking or climbing hills. I wish others would recognize their limitations also.

Sheila

Rachel G - After my first post, it also occurred to me too, that perhaps this is a tour operator requirement and is not necessarily driven/originated by Regent. Perhaps (I certainly don't know this), the tour operator/vendor (Stingray City Sandbar) has told/asked Regent to pass this requirement (a doctor's note) on to passengers who might want to take this excursion.

My question would be, "why 70", as opposed to 60, 65, 75, or even 80?

Rachel G - After my first post, it also occurred to me too, that perhaps this is a tour operator requirement and is not necessarily driven/originated by Regent. Perhaps (I certainly don't know this), the tour operator/vendor (Stingray City Sandbar) has told/asked Regent to pass this requirement (a doctor's note) on to passengers who might want to take this excursion.

My question would be, "why 70", as opposed to 60, 65, 75, or even 80?

Arbitrary number, but I guess they have to pick something. Obviously there are 80 year olds who are very fit, and 40 year olds who are totally unfit.

I’ve taken this excursion in the past. It’s less strenuous than other snorkeling excursions because they bring you out to a sand bar. But perhaps people think it’s not too strenuous because of that and think they can handle it. Just getting into and out of the boat with equipment can be strenuous. I wouldn’t take it personally, better safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've seen so many people over the years on certain excursions that should not have been on them. Mainly due to mobility issues and theproblems with walking. Many of the passengers can hardly get off the ship, especially when its tendered. Then it's an issue when

getting on and off a bus. I think Regent does a good job when describing what is involved with each excursion. I think it's the passenger

who doesn't really understand or maybe doesn't care and just signs up anyway. It's like an accident waiting to happen. YIKES!

Disabilities can happen at any age which is why I found this a bit strange. I went back to the Regent website for excursions in the Grand Cayman's and found that the general snorkeling excursion as well as the scuba diving excursion have the same requirement so it does sound like it is a requirement of the tour operator. Wondering if they ask for I.D.?:evilsmile:

Having been up close and personal with a stingray barb I wouldn’t go anywhere near this excursion :eek:

Really curious as to why you said that. I would have thought that it would be relatively safe but perhaps I'm wrong?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge, a person while swimming is virtually never stung by the poisonous stinger. The danger is in walking into a barb while shuffling in the shallows. In other words, the human being kind of "stings" the innocent creature minding his/her own business. The main thing people do on Sting Ray City kinds of outings is shuffle along the bottom in very shallow water. People often wear water shoes precisely to avoid being stung in that manner.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge, a person while swimming is virtually never stung by the poisonous stinger. The danger is in walking into a barb while shuffling in the shallows. In other words, the human being kind of "stings" the innocent creature minding his/her own business. The main thing people do on Sting Ray City kinds of outings is shuffle along the bottom in very shallow water. People often wear water shoes precisely to avoid being stung in that manner.

Shuffle or no shuffle, the barbs are sharp and cause incredible spreading pain. Like any puncture it can result in infection to the site. Believe me water shoes are not a complete safeguard! And it’s my understanding the rays will use the barb defensively if needed.

The operator’s website does have a warning about the barb.

Not trying to scare anyone away from the trip but, better to know.

In Bora Bora, they had”debarbed” the sting rays. Since we were in a lagoon, I wondered if there was ever a rogue ray who swam in for the free food! We swam with black tipped sharks, too. They had teeth!

In Bora Bora, they had”debarbed” the sting rays. Since we were in a lagoon, I wondered if there was ever a rogue ray who swam in for the free food! We swam with black tipped sharks, too. They had teeth!

Forgap, we are doing the stingray and snorkel excursion in Bora Bora in Nov. How did you like that excursion?

Forgap, we are doing the stingray and snorkel excursion in Bora Bora in Nov. How did you like that excursion?

Best and likely lower priced are the Bora Bora tours with Patrick. Small group, lunch on picnic benches in the water on a Motu. All the lobster, beer, pig cooked in the ground, etc. Small boats, only about 8 per boat. Just google Patrick tours in Bora Bora. So good often times fully booked and difficult to do. Can't say enough about his tours.