Has anyone ever asked for the pool music turned down?

Kurt Cobain

We were recently on the Dream and are booked on the Magic in the fall of 2018. The music was so loud at the main pool and even the aft at times. I could barley order a drinking my ears were ringing so bad.... has anyone had this problem or am I just old. Anyone had any luck with getting them to turn it down ? Thanks

We were recently on the Dream and are booked on the Magic in the fall of 2018. The music was so loud at the main pool and even the aft at times. I could barley order a drinking my ears were ringing so bad.... has anyone had this problem or am I just old. Anyone had any luck with getting them to turn it down ? Thanks

It's definitely too loud for me, so I just don't linger there.

Yes, many times on Celebrity, not on Carnival.

I have also insisted they turn down the "techno" music in the shops area.

I have a noise meter app on my device, used it to make a decible level reading on the Celebrity Connie, provided it to "mgmt" and the noise level was reduced for balance of my cruise. I sent the reading to my email so I could send it to the US federal govt health department.

The decible level is a health and safety issue.

I do not walk away - I fight back

Yes, I have complained only once! Did they turn it down..... not really.... bottom line, Lido is not the place to be if you would like to actually talk to someone.

It seems the DJ's "think" everyone likes the to have the music at "earsplittenloudenboomer" levels! :):):):):cool:.

Go to the Serenity Deck.

yes, many times on celebrity, not on carnival.

I have a noise meter app on my device, used it to make a decible level reading on the celebrity connie, provided it to "mgmt" and the noise level was reduced for balance of my cruise. I sent the reading to my email so i could send it to the us federal govt health department.

I do not walk away - i fight back

:'):'):'):'):'):')

One night years ago on the Fascination, our friends and my DH and I were on a very empty lido deck, and the music was so loud we couldn't talk. Think about it... no one is there....music is blasting....no one is listening, dancing, swimming, or partying. My friends daughter walks over to the bartender and asks if the noise could be turned down, due to the old people cant hear each other, and yes they turned it down. Bless her. The point is for those of you who just love music as loud as it can be? It aint good for your ears. And if no one is on deck, then what's the point of blasting noise-is this the equivalent of a fog horn? With Huey Lewis's news this week, it should be a lesson for us all.

One night years ago on the Fascination, our friends and my DH and I were on a very empty lido deck, and the music was so loud we couldn't talk. Think about it... no one is there....music is blasting....no one is listening, dancing, swimming, or partying. My friends daughter walks over to the bartender and asks if the noise could be turned down, due to the old people cant hear each other, and yes they turned it down. Bless her. The point is for those of you who just love music as loud as it can be? It aint good for your ears. And if no one is on deck, then what's the point of blasting noise-is this the equivalent of a fog horn? With Huey Lewis's news this week, it should be a lesson for us all.

That is a whole different situation and one I agree with. But on a beautiful hot day by the pool with some cold drinks and good people, music is key.

But an empty deck, whats the point?

Yes, I'm 47 and find the music played by the DJs too loud. I was aboard the Victory 3 weeks ago, and couldn't stay for the Sail Away Party because of the super loud music. I was getting the biggest headache. It may be the style of music that they play. I don't find the Caribbean music played by the live bands loud at all though. I always go to the aft pool because the music played there is not as loud.

It's not so much the decimal level, but the music of the typical DJ's choice. Mindless techo blaring everyone's ear drums is not conducive to relaxing on a lounger and enjoying a cold drink. At least play songs that the majority of people who've paid for their cruise to sing and sway along to. Example, in 2014, on the Breeze, I was having a drink on lido and people watching. The DJ finally relented to playing music a few people wanted. They played 3 80's songs and half the people got up from their loungers and started dancing and singing along. Then the DJ mindlessly started with the techo again, and EVERYbody was back down in their loungers......some even left. The DJs need to realize that not everyone on board is a 21 year old in the late-night dance club.

Now THAT must be my grandpa talking.

Sounds like him when he complained about that Elvis Presley kid who would never go anywhere.

No that was my parents! Fortunately I've lived thru the best music times. From the Stones & Beatles to Journey & Boston. Too bad it stopped there. But to each their own!

General rule of thumb - when one specific aspect dominates (like loud blaring music) then the context is not balanced.

On pool deck, there is generally background music, people splashing in the pool, people talking, waiters taking drink orders, sound of the wind perhaps.

Versus, when you go to a rock concert, there is one criteria, loud ear splitting sound. Nothing else expected by the patrons.

A rock concert is not a cruise pool deck.

My last Celebrity cruise - it was the techno music that was the ONLY thing I heard. I could not hear my husband, nor understand the wait staff when trying to order a drink. I could not focus on my reading material. I had ear plugs in and still it jarred me to my soul.

This is a situation that is out of balance.

Music yes, if people want very loud blaring music, indeed please do. But keep it to yourself with your personal device.

Same goes for cruise lines. Few guests expect the pool deck to be as loud as a rock concert.

Not sure...HOW OLD ARE YOU?

I am 45 and still enjoy loud music a lot but it was a hard to sit and people watch. Don't get me wrong... I won't let it stop my good time but just thought if there is a place to ask it would be here.

I have a noise meter app on my device, used it to make a decible level reading on the Celebrity Connie, provided it to "mgmt" and the noise level was reduced for balance of my cruise. I sent the reading to my email so I could send it to the US federal govt health department.

/quote]

I would like to know what agency you sent this information to.

I don't know of any US federal agency that would regulate or care about the music level on a cruise ship.

/quote]

I would like to know what agency you sent this information to.

I don't know of any US federal agency that would regulate or care about the music level on a cruise ship.

Since the ships are most of the time in international waters, I don't think the U.S. government would have any jurisdiction over music or anything else, docked at a U.S. port... maybe. They probably have bigger fish to fry anyway.

I am 45 and still enjoy loud music a lot but it was a hard to sit and people watch. Don't get me wrong... I won't let it stop my good time but just thought if there is a place to ask it would be here.

Come on, Kurt. True old school Nirvana fans would never complain about lots of noise.

Courtney Love, on the other hand, makes my eardrums burst with her shrill singing style. I still think she was to blame...

Edited by stobe1

There is music on lido deck? Opps forgot my hearing aids. Honestly i wish they had captions for movies or shows like theaters.

I am too young for holland and princess. :cool:

They had the movies captioned on the big screen on my Liberty sailing in December. I was thankful for that and just figured it was standard on all ships. Is it not?

Without my hearing aid in, I am stone deaf so the loud music on Lido isn't an issue for me. I can lay out there for hours and not be bothered. However, I completely agree with those here saying it can be damaging to ears if played too loud.

I spent my 20's years ago in nightclubs with blasting, thumping music so loud my ears would ring after leaving and i'm certain that contributed to my hearing loss. If you feel it's too loud for you on the Lido, either leave or wear good ear protection!

Yes, many times on Celebrity, not on Carnival.

I do not walk away - I fight back

Please also report to the US government that the ships don't meet the federal minimum wage law also. I am sure they will get right on it.

With a name like Kurt Cobain, I thought the same thing.

Lol... but really did want to know the answer.

I think it an eq/frequency thing that makes the music very shrill. Way to much mid range. I love steel drums and the drummer they had was awesome but it made my ears ring. Not trying to complain but I love watching the crowd, talking and being in a fun atmosphere.