Regent deck parties

WesW

On the voyager last nite Daniela (Food & Beverage Mgr) shared photos on the Regent Social Club Facebook page of the crew/Exec Chef displaying their Vietnamese Party/BBQ beautiful dishes. Another FB social club member posted terrific photos of guests dancing and having a blast.

Our observation is the pool deck after 6pm is one of the least used public spaces. Nice to see that the Voyager not only had a deck BBQ but made it extra special with the Country they were visiting. Please enjoy a few of Daniela’s photos:

6fe7de4b0aa6e47817e29da8bab201c3.jpg

06f5321111ca7639bbb0c0723b1924e9.jpg

8d10f1c7f3801a64f0fa5920e36c86ab.jpg

8f353f8f59f71ccbc5137a56dafd46f9.jpg

6ccad5a2bf192ac1d3452de6ae98f4af.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wes, last fall on Voyager we had deck parties both in Yangon and Saigon; overnights in port are wonderful for deck parties. Yangon suffered from a number of insects around but Saigon was absolutely perfect.

Marc

Deck parties are very special nights, I only wish that they were held more frequently. On 7 Regent cruises, we were only able to enjoy deck parties on 2 occasions. But we did have wonderful times on both.

After our Voyager 40 nite Grand Voyage last year, Frank Del Rio (Chairman of NCLH) called me at home and asked me what suggestions I had for improvement.

Told Frank, very strongly that the pool deck became a desert after 6pm, if Ida and I wanted champagne in the Jacuzzi we had to bring it ourselves from our suite. Suggested like Seabourn has a rock the boat party at night, Regent should have their Beatles nite or Beachboys, or theme of your choice on almost every cruise. The guests would love it.

Anyway, hope as Marc mentioned above, and as Daniela posted her Vietnamese BBQ photos attest, Regent is having more themed parties on the pool deck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wes, once again we seem to disagree. Due to temperature issues, we would not attend night time parties on the pool deck but do enjoy what they do during the day when temperatures are mild. During our 31 cruises on Regent we rarely see anyone in the jacuzzi at night. On our last cruise (Asia) - earlier this month, it was so hot that even locals were too warm. The last place that we wanted to be was on the pool deck at night. The air conditioning on Voyager was perfect for us.

Haven't discussed this issue with Frank but may do so next month when we see him. On the other hand, he is not running Regent anymore - that is the job of CEO/President Jason Montague. Frank is managing the people that run Regent, Oceania and NCL. I try not to go over Jason's head and just stay friends with Frank without discussing Regent (other than telling him how great things have been).

In any case, gently disagreeing with each other is not a bad thing. It would be interesting to learn if the feedback from others onboard support your position. If so, it isn't a big deal -- just an event that we would not attend.

P.S. Not aware of "more" themed parties on Regent ..... generally once per cruise at night and several at lunch when there are sea days.

Wes, great idea! I hadn't thought of champagne in the jacuzzi in the evening, but next cruise I will do it!

All I can think of is germs in the jacuzzi. The best "champagne" idea I've heard in a long time was champagne in the laundry room. However, if sitting in the jacuzzi with champagne is your thing, ask your butler to bring a bottle out to you. Much easier than trying to have "service" on the pool deck at night when most of the crew is trying to serve dinner (and, as has been reported on some cruises, it is a challenge to keep up with the pool deck drinks - even during the day).

I'm all for the parties on the deck at night and under the stars, doesn't it normally get cooler, because the sun isn't beating down on your head? I'm in the same camp as Wes

champagne in the jacuzzi in the evening. Just don't go back to your room in the bathrobe!! :evilsmile:

I'm all for the parties on the deck at night and under the stars, doesn't it normally get cooler, because the sun isn't beating down on your head? I'm in the same camp as Wes

champagne in the jacuzzi in the evening. Just don't go back to your room in the bathrobe!! :evilsmile:

Definitely do not go back got your suite in a bathrobe! I suppose if the parties were held after the restaurants closed, it could work. In terms of jacuzzi's....... read any of these articles before you decide to go in germs in jacuzzi's. Think that I'll stick to the jacuzzi in my bathroom!

Unfortunately, during our Amazon and Asia cruises, the nighttime temperatures were still quite hot, humid and sticky.

OK, a few comments.

I assume the jacuzzis are well sanitized. Probably the most germ free place on the entire ship. I'd rather have champagne in the jacuzzis than the laundry room!!! I agree with your point about lousy bar service on the pool deck during the day. But, if I'm on deck and want a drink, I have no problem getting up and walking to the pool bar.

OK, a few comments.

I assume the jacuzzis are well sanitized. Probably the most germ free place on the entire ship. I'd rather have champagne in the jacuzzis than the laundry room!!! I agree with your point about lousy bar service on the pool deck during the day. But, if I'm on deck and want a drink, I have no problem getting up and walking to the pool bar.

Agree - they are sanitized but the temperature needs to be at a certain temperature at all times and the chemicals must be right (again, see articles). Since I don't go into public jacuzzi's, perhaps you would know if Regent regularly checks temperatures and chemicals. One article talks about urine and sweat in the water, putting our "nether regions" in the water, etc. These are facts - not something that I or others are making up.

Just wondering, how do you get back to your suite in the evening from the jacuzzi without a bathrobe. Is wrapping a towel around yourself any better than a bathrobe, or are you expected to somehow change into clothes in the small bathrooms on the pool deck?

PS. Love champagne in the jacuzzi.

I was warming to the idea of night parties (I was too focused on my last two ultra hot cruises when no one was outside at night) until I remembered that everything can be heard in the suites below as well as those on the same deck as the pool (and balconies).

Wes, is there a closing time for the jacuzzis? Just thinking that they could keep the Pool Bar open a extra couple of hours if there were enough people to serve.

I personally think being able to sit outside with a drink in the evenings with some form of entertainment or not is a great idea.

Some cruise lines have their main entertainment on deck in the evenings and often it is standing room only, but this entertainment finishes earlier than indoor venues, leaving just the bar open for quiet drinks.

A themed deck party/buffet is something we would probably attend.

We quite like the heat and my chest doesn't cope very well with constant aircon and even when we were in Sri Lanka, we tended to turn the aircon off at night and leave the balcony doors open with the screen across.

I was warming to the idea of night parties (I was too focused on my last two ultra hot cruises when no one was outside at night) until I remembered that everything can be heard in the suites below as well as those on the same deck as the pool (and balconies).

Wes, is there a closing time for the jacuzzis? Just thinking that they could keep the Pool Bar open a extra couple of hours if there were enough people to serve.

You’d hate SeaDream where there are parties on the pool deck all the time and most meals are taken outdoors. Mostly, the deck parties are cocktail parties and dinner is served afterwards in the normal dining venues (outdoor or indoor).

I was warming to the idea of night parties (I was too focused on my last two ultra hot cruises when no one was outside at night) until I remembered that everything can be heard in the suites below as well as those on the same deck as the pool (and balconies). .

The deck parties that I have attended did not exactly extend into the wee hours of the night, I doubt if it would be much of a nuisance to folks in those suites.

Jackie, am not aware of closing times for the jacuzzi's. The only times I have seen nets over the jacuzzi's is early in the morning when the deck washing team is cleaning them.

Absolutely agree with your observation about the pool bar hours, but learned from Regent leadership this is a staffing challenge as dinner hours approach.

Did hear back from the President of Regent after sending him this thread link and comments about deck parties:

Thanks Wes – we often try to have them when we are in late or overnight in port and the weather is good – as we are adding more overnights into the mix this should lead to more deck parties in the future.

All the best,

Jason

Agree - they are sanitized but the temperature needs to be at a certain temperature at all times and the chemicals must be right (again, see articles). Since I don't go into public jacuzzi's, perhaps you would know if Regent regularly checks temperatures and chemicals. One article talks about urine and sweat in the water, putting our "nether regions" in the water, etc. These are facts - not something that I or others are making up.

I strongly agree with TravelCat. We don’t go into public pools or jacuzzis. We have both at home but it is just the two of us who use it and we are very hygienic perhaps a bit OCD about it.

From the CDC. https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swimming/swimmers/rwi.html

Something to seriously think about.