We're back, it's rick & ron on the ss mariner--miami to san francisco (april 18,2018)

We loved the SS Explorer, our first cruise on Regent-sowe’ll take a fair review of this cruise on the SS Mariner. Have to be truthful and honest we’re lookingfor a great time if not better. Ofcourse we’ll be opened minded about this cruise as always. Anything we report will be as we see it, as weexperience it and feel in real time. Should you have questions please ask, after we a fun filled day we’llget back to you with an answer---but it will be our opinion as we see it, notwhat it was or what it should be, but what it is today. Others may see it different, but this is “ouropinion” only.

We flew out yesterday morning from Palm Springs toDallas. In flight someone needed medicalattention and we we’re diverted to Phoenix. Turned out the person had a really bad hangover and with the airturbulence got pretty sick. We were readyto move back from the gate, but no one around to walk the plane back. 20 minutes later we take off for Dallas.

Landing in Dallas wearrived 25 minutes before our plane was to take off for Miami. No one from the airline was at the gate withinformation of where to go—finally they show up and tell us they are holdingthe plane at gate C25, we’re at A 13. Off we go and get to the gate 8 minutesbefore the plane was to take off. At thegate no plane, they told us it left the gate early. They rebooked us on a flight that was leavingin 2 an half hours at gate A-16.

On the plane and in the air, we arrive 45 minutes early onlyto be told we had no gate. So we sit for50 minutes awaiting a gate.

Finally, off the plane and off to luggage. We wait 45 minutes no bags. The agent doesn’t know why, 29 minutes laterwe are told they can’t get the luggage out of the hold and not sure how long.You can’t make this stuff up. They nowtell us that we can leave and they will deliver the luggage to us, I asked howcan we trust them if they can’t get it from the plane to us here in arrivalluggage.

As instructed I went to fill out a form, came back and wastold it would be out in an hour, not to worry because it will be placed in holdfor safety before they delivered to us. I waited around finally theluggage comes out—no one around to collect. (where is safety and security ofluggage). We finally get our luggage 3 ½hours after landing. Just in case youare wondering what airline, it was “AMERICAN”. One last thing, I called to letthem know we got our luggage but was told on the phone if I wanted to talk tosomeone it would be 1 hour and 30 minute wait, no I didn’t wait. I had told thecar service to leave hours ago, so we got into a cab and off to the hotel.

Tonight dinner withfriends, in the morning we should be able to see the ship from our room, thecar will pick us up and the adventure will begin on the Mariner.

I’ll get back soon after we board, really can’twait. We cruise to cruise, we enjoybeing on the ship. Yes we enjoy goodservice, coffee in the morning in our suite before breakfast—so should be happycampers,We loved the SS Explorer, our first cruise on Regent-sowe’ll take a fair review of this cruise on the SS Mariner. Have to be truthful and honest we’re lookingfor a great time if not better. Ofcourse we’ll be opened minded about this cruise as always. Anything we report will be as we see it, as weexperience it and feel in real time. Should you have questions please ask, after we a fun filled day we’llget back to you with an answer---but it will be our opinion as we see it, notwhat it was or what it should be, but what it is today. Others may see it different, but this is “ouropinion” only.

Hi ronrick, and thanks for posting again.

I have the sense that being on the ship is probably more important to you than seeing the sights, but I'd be grateful if you'd post as much as you can about any ports you visit, excursions you take. Thank you and happy sails.

I love Mariner (suspect that we'd have no taste at all for Explorer, but, again, the ports are what matter most to us-- so long as it's a Regent ship).

Fair Winds and Following seas on your Mariner cruise ronrick1943.

Sorry to hear about your luggage delays and airline challenges hope your cruise is

smooth sailing.

We're very interested in your reports (cruise & excursion) on at least half of your ports as we are on the Mariner from Miami to Honolulu (then onward to Auckland) in October. We also have Columbia, Costa Rica, Panama Canal cross, Guatemala, Nicaragua, and Acapulco, and Cabo as ports before our Pacific Ocean Cross from San Diego

What a freaking nightmare flight(s). So sorry to hear you went through all of that. And the luggage issue is beyond excusable. That is a terrible way to start any vacation. Hope the rest of your trip is magical.

Having been there done that on a similar flight--including the plane leaving the gate as we were racing through the airport to catch it--I can only hope, pray that the rest of your trip is perfect. What a nightmare!

Hello, thanks for the great post! we will be on the Mariner next month, and trying pick a cabin... Do you know if smoking is allowed on Horizon Lounge (outside)? I am getting conflicting information from RSSC phone agent and website... it will help us to decide whether to go with AFT suite or not... Thank you!

We just finished our packing and are now in the wait mode until we leave for the pier tomorrow morning. Can’t wait to board and see the new Regent. Hope to meet you onboard.

Z and TB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your airline/airport nightmare is a perfect illustration of why we ALWAYS travel at least 24 hours before the ship sets sail.

We considered this cruise because the Panama Canal is on our bucket list but the dates didn't work. And, like you, the ship is the destination for us so your reports will be very interesting. Bon voyage!

We just finished our packing and are now in the wait mode until we leave for the pier tomorrow morning. Can’t wait to board and see the new Regent. Hope to meet you onboard.

Z and TB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking forward to reading about your adventures. Will be thinking about you and TB at the pool bar in the afternoon:evilsmile:

Hello, thanks for the great post! we will be on the Mariner next month, and trying pick a cabin... Do you know if smoking is allowed on Horizon Lounge (outside)? I am getting conflicting information from RSSC phone agent and website... it will help us to decide whether to go with AFT suite or not... Thank you!

Smoking is allowed on the area at the back of the ship outside the Horizon lounge. Technically allowed only on he port side, but I have seen the area full of smokers. I would not book an aft suite on 7.

Thanks so much ronrick1943 for blogging, we will look forward to your reports!

Roberto (Z & TB) can’t wait for your updates and pictures!!

We only wish we were onboard with you both. So looking forward to seeing you in San Fran. We will be greeting you when you arrive at the hotel with big hugs & Blood Marys!

R keep the joint neat & tidy for our boarding May 6th! Lol!

Karen & John

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures. The Mariner should be in tip top shape for you. It is quite different than the Explorer, with a personality all her own.

In our opinion, Captain Serena is one of the best ‘features’ on the Mariner. She will be a virtual fountain of information about your Voyage and her passion for traveling and interest in the world around us are an inspiration. I love how she interacts with people on her visits to the Coffee Connection.

Safe travels and looking forward to your posts.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

May you enjoy—Safe travels, calm seas and good health. We enjoy all Regent ships, but the Explorer is still my favorite. Perhaps that will change, when we sail on Splendor.

Look forward to all your experiences on Mariner, and of course, your sharing your journey with all of us.

Sheila

Agree that Serena is the best part of the Mariner cruise. She is absolutely amazing! Also agree that the Mariner is not the Explorer (nor does it try to be). I believe that the TS is in a Grand Suite (correct me if I'm wrong). We were in a Grand Suite for our 25 night Amazon cruise and it is much more spacious than the same suite on Explorer. However, it is not as glamorous.

To be 100% honest, although we have not been on the Mariner since the refurbishment, my "vision" of the "new" Voyager might have been too high. I'll be interested in learning if the countertop in bathroom(s) is now marble rather than granite as I hear that some are and some are not (based on information on the Voyager and am guessing that it may be the same on Mariner). Also, we were told that the upper suites were refurbished more recently than the rest of the ship and would therefore receive a refresh (carpeting, reupholstering, etc.) rather than a complete redo.

In any case, Mariner does have lovely public areas and is a beautiful ship.

Well, all is good in Miami, Great day for resting and meeting up with friends. Had super good dinner tonight at THREE in the Wynwood area of the city--a very colorful area filled with (art) graffiti on wall and buildings. Had a good time with friends (we did live here many many years ago).

It's getting late so a good nights rest, first thing we'll look out the window to see the ship---then later off to board her. Looking forward to lunching on the ship and well let you know what our first thoughts about her. But please remember this report will be about this cruise and this ship--Our other experiences are in the pass and are memories -good ones, but memories. Now we care about the future and this ship.

Rick - of course you want to be in the present and future but lots of us are interested in changes on the Mariner. Perhaps you will have time to post a couple of photos of your suite? Going to ask "Z" to do the same for their suite. Thanks in advance!

Also in Miami. Thought we were going AA Oakland-DFW-MIA but OAK flight was late by 2 hours so they drove us to SFO for a direct flight. Got to MIA with luggage an hour before the other flight would have arrived, but horror of horrors, we didn't get the first class seats we had in the other flights. Now at the Four Season where just had a great burger for dinner. See you all on board tomorrow.

Well, all is good in Miami, Great day for resting and meeting up with friends. Had super good dinner tonight at THREE in the Wynwood area of the city--a very colorful area filled with (art) graffiti on wall and buildings. Had a good time with friends (we did live here many many years ago).

It's getting late so a good nights rest, first thing we'll look out the window to see the ship---then later off to board her. Looking forward to lunching on the ship and well let you know what our first thoughts about her. But please remember this report will be about this cruise and this ship--Our other experiences are in the pass and are memories -good ones, but memories. Now we care about the future and this ship.

Glad you enjoyed the Wynwood area. Very vibrant and colorful. We had dinner there, at the Wynwood Kitchen, the night before we boarded the Mariner back in November!

Looking forward to your reports from the ship.

OK,here goes! It didn't get better yet. Got to the Port of Miami about 11:30AM. Porters on spot, took our bags and told us not to worry-next time you see your bags will be in your suite.

12:00 PM time to board. UH-OH an announcement--Welcome to Regent, we're sorry but we have a computer glitch, please stay seated we will boarding about 30 minutes. Another announcement still not fixed will give update later. At 1:30 PM another announcement we're ready to board.

But boarding will take time we only have 3 computers working. Lucky for us we are in a Grand Suite so we got on the ship. I have to say Regent did it right, serving water, soda, small finger sandwich's and some bubbly. Plus the staff was really on top of it and very friendly. Some people upset, but really Regent did a good job, I think.

Got to our suite, I like it, great deal in size and set up. However with all the hype about the retrofit, I thought it was going to be a really nice suite. However they did nothing to the Grand Suite, not even new carpet. As far as the furniture, honestly I've seen better in airline lounges and you know how bad that can be. I think Regent missed the boat on this and did a pretty bad job as we see it. Not even the bathrooms got any work. The one bathroom still has a shower curtain. The sofa looks worn, the chairs are definitely worn and filthy. 6 star service with 1 star furnishing. (Ron wants sheets to cover the chairs). However the built-ins look great. Even our butler who was on the Explorer couldn't believe the worn furniture. Today is his first day on the job. Yes I'm disappointed in the look. Really for a few $1000 dollars more Regent should have done it right.

Now the crew has been pretty good, but we just met them. We're going to have dinner in the suite tonight. Oh, lunch was quite good at La Veranda--great service and has a nice look.

That's about it for now, will write later as we get around the ship.

Today they said yes they do. Outside. They also have a club for smoking-inside but glassed in and vented.

Thanks for the updates and look forward to hearing more. Your adventures (or misadventures) with the air travel are a good example, of why I am much less eager to travel frequently as I used to do.

Sorry to hear about the state of the suite. With all the hoopla about a Mariner redo I would be disappointed and quite annoyed to find worn and dirty furniture. Regent is big on hype and poor on communicating reality too often. From the Regent website today: "Seven Seas Mariner’s bow-to-stern refurbishment has been complete, elevating her to a new level of elegance with dramatic new culinary experiences, elegant new suite designs and completely renewed elegant guest spaces."

Hopefully, the onboard service will be excellent. I find that is usually the case, otherwise, I would have given up on Regent years ago based on all their questionable hype and communication issues. Will be interested in knowing how you find the Mariner lounges and outdoor areas compared to the Explorer. I like the outdoor areas better on the Mariner.