Bringing a fan

Terre

I've searched the boards and can't find an answer...when bringing a small fan on board, does it have to be in your carry-on or can you leave it in your checked bag?

Every cruise line is different and you get different answers when you call them.

I suggest a battery operated fan. I've seen fans with electrical cords confiscated. I know some get through security, but your chances are better with a battery operated version.

I email special services a few months ahead of time and ask that box fan be placed in our room.

I need to do this. We use a fan mainly for the sound, so I'm not sure a small portable one would work for us. Would you mind sharing the email or where to find it? Thanks!

I need to do this. We use a fan mainly for the sound, so I'm not sure a small portable one would work for us. Would you mind sharing the email or where to find it? Thanks!

special_needs@rccl.com

I email right after booking and then do a follow up email about 30 days out just as a reminder. One time we boarded and the fan was not in the room so I showed the steward the email and he went immediately to get us one. So nice to have a box fan for the air and the white noise!

Also have the 02Cool table top fan w detachable power supply. It can run on batteries but have never tried that. Have brought it on every cruise past 5 years no problem, all lines. Carry on. Also has built in USB port for charging electronics.

I email special services a few months ahead of time and ask that box fan be placed in our room.

I always do this but both times we've sailed on the Serenade I haven't gotten one and they tell me they don't have them. I need it for my asthma to sleep.

I've never had a problem with the request on any other RCCL ship or any other cruise line.

I always do this but both times we've sailed on the Serenade I haven't gotten one and they tell me they don't have them. I need it for my asthma to sleep.

I've never had a problem with the request on any other RCCL ship or any other cruise line.

Well I hope that doesn't happen on our Brilliance cruise! On our Carnival cruise last year they would not provide one but they said that we could bring our own so we did and I printed out the email too, just in case. No problems walking the full size box fan on board!

We used to bring a fan, like you, mainly for the noise. I found a wonderful free app called "Rain, Rain" and now just use that from my phone. It has several free sounds, rain, ocean, thunderstorm, city rain, etc. (we like rain on a tent ;)) and it runs all night.

Give it a try, it's very soothing.

We used to bring a fan, like you, mainly for the noise. I found a wonderful free app called "Rain, Rain" and now just use that from my phone. It has several free sounds, rain, ocean, thunderstorm, city rain, etc. (we like rain on a tent ;)) and it runs all night.

Give it a try, it's very soothing.

Does it require internet

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm a fan noise addict and bought a noise machine at Bed Bath and Beyond for $12 that works well for me. It's small which is great when you are trying to conserve space in luggage. I have also taken a plug-in fan checked in my bag without being confiscated when I didn't realize it was not allowed.

I always bring a small electric desk fan....(about 5 inches) and it's in my checked bags. Battery fans are heavier because of the batteries...and the batteries won't last an entire cruise, if you run the fan all night long, like I do! An extension cord is handy if you need it by your bed...no "surge" protectors, tho.....

If you just want noise..get a noise machine. If you need airflow, bring the fan!

I've searched the boards and can't find an answer...when bringing a small fan on board, does it have to be in your carry-on or can you leave it in your checked bag?

Every cruise line is different and you get different answers when you call them.

I have a small battery operated fan that works great .It has a nice carrying case and I have yet to have a problem with it.

We use an app that mimics the fan noise and use a small portable Bluetooth speaker to increase the volume above our phones capabilities.

I need a fan for my asthma, not for noise as others do. Looks like the people who want one for noise are winning out over my medical need even though I send my request right after booking as well.

Oh well, guess I need to take my own if we sail on the Serenade again.

I need a fan for my asthma, not for noise as others do. Looks like the people who want one for noise are winning out over my medical need even though I send my request right after booking as well.

Oh well, guess I need to take my own if we sail on the Serenade again.

I am not sure that RCCL sees a box fan as a medical need, maybe you could provide them documentation ahead of time and they can make sure you get one?

BTW, I just received confirmation that our fan, extension cord and distilled water for my husband will be in the room so maybe try emailing special services again and make it clear that a fan is a medical need for you.

I am not sure that RCCL sees a box fan as a medical need, maybe you could provide them documentation ahead of time and they can make sure you get one?

BTW, I just received confirmation that our fan, extension cord and distilled water for my husband will be in the room so maybe try emailing special services again and make it clear that a fan is a medical need for you.

Emailing them and reminding them does not work on the Serenade. I've done that on two cruises now with that ship. I even got a confirmation from the ship that I would have it, but once on board they say they don't have fans for guests. That's why I was asking about RCI' s policy about packing it in your checked bag because on Carnival you have to carry it on; however, Carnival has always provided me with a fan.

Emailing them and reminding them does not work on the Serenade. I've done that on two cruises now with that ship. I even got a confirmation from the ship that I would have it, but once on board they say they don't have fans for guests. That's why I was asking about RCI' s policy about packing it in your checked bag because on Carnival you have to carry it on; however, Carnival has always provided me with a fan.

It's funny because Carnival was the opposite for us. When we asked for a fan we were told Carnival does not provide them for guests and we would've to carry one on. Some showed up to the port with a full-sized box fan:') Maybe instead of it being a thing with the different lines it is instead a thing with each ship!