Room Service Charge??

Just wanted to know what and if there is a Room Service Charge? Does it make a difference what you order? Are some things free and others not? On FOS if it makes a difference. Thank you.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/data/dining/room-service/menu/In-Stateroom-Room-Service-Full-Menu-web.pdf

While continental breakfast is the only thing you can order without incurring the fee of $7.95, I just thought I'd share this perspective. It's a flat fee, which means it's not based on per person or specific items. We came back from an excursion sweaty and hot and wanted to shower but we were starving. We had two adjoining cabins and we ordered rooms service to be delivered to one of the rooms. We ordered the works...pizzas, burgers, fries, chips, salads and desserts. We had a few soft drinks in our fridge. We tipped the person delivering but outside the tip, four of us ate for about $2 each and it was great. We sat with our wet hair, soaking in the a/c and stuffing our faces. It arrived just as the last one got showered and dressed. Even if it had just been two, for $4 each we would have considered it a bargain. This would be especially great with kids after a tiring morning on a excursion. Well worth the flat fee. The only bad thing was knowing that people would see the number of containers in the hall waiting on the room service pick-up to retrieve them and knowing what pigs we had made of ourselves.

For those with special needs or disabled they do forego the fee when asked on a case by case basis. Some people have to rely on room service much due to health, and are not really utilizing many of the other activities onboard, so I think that is fair of them.

While continental breakfast is the only thing you can order without incurring the fee of $7.95, I just thought I'd share this perspective. It's a flat fee, which means it's not based on per person or specific items. We came back from an excursion sweaty and hot and wanted to shower but we were starving. We had two adjoining cabins and we ordered rooms service to be delivered to one of the rooms. We ordered the works...pizzas, burgers, fries, chips, salads and desserts. We had a few soft drinks in our fridge. We tipped the person delivering but outside the tip, four of us ate for about $2 each and it was great. We sat with our wet hair, soaking in the a/c and stuffing our faces. It arrived just as the last one got showered and dressed. Even if it had just been two, for $4 each we would have considered it a bargain. This would be especially great with kids after a tiring morning on a excursion. Well worth the flat fee. The only bad thing was knowing that people would see the number of containers in the hall waiting on the room service pick-up to retrieve them and knowing what pigs we had made of ourselves.

Excellent point. We are family of 5 (3minors) and when traveling have 2 adjoining cabins. Same situation, not all the time, but usually when coming back from shore, tired and hungry... we usually order to one cabin and the charge even with tip, comes to a very reasonable amount per person...

To put it in perspective, in a prior life I used to outfit people going on big game safaris. Clothes, equipment, and gunsmithing services; thousands of dollars worth of equipment in addition the their safari fees, government licenses, airfare and lodging which easily came to tens of thousands of dollars. Then they complain about the bullets costing four dollars each or eighty dollars a box of twenty. I mean even shooting at an animal could cost them hundreds of dollars and they are complaining about a four dollar bullet? You're not shooting a BB gun.

What if my special need is not being willing to pay ridiculous fees without having a conniption?

Careful, a conniption fit could result in your confinement in your cabin for remainder of the cruise for the safety of the other passengers! ;)

Don't put the dishes and trays in the hall. They will not be picked up any sooner or later if you leave them inside the cabin when you leave.

Also, when we get room service we tip a dollar or two, and at end of cruise, if in Europe, tip in Euro or pound.

Not asking to start a debate: do you tip on top of the fee? Wondering if the service fee goes to the server or to RC...
Royal claims a gratuity of 18% will be added to the the $7.95 fee (plus any billable extras like sodas), but if you are ordering more than a light snack for two, you should tip a little extra. Edited by WeighAnchor

They can’t get the continental breakfast orders right or on time; if you want to pay for more be my guest. It’s insulting anyone would ask for it free. This is a resort not a nursing home.

Oh please you’re paying for the cruise. This fee is yet another way rccl is trying to nickel and dime its customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Royal claims a gratuity of 18% will be added to the the $7.95 fee (plus any billable extras like sodas), but if you are ordering more than a light snack for two, you should tip a little extra.

Thanks! Good to know. I don't love the added service fee BUT I also think it prevents people from ordering a ton of stuff from room service and then not eating it. I have seen room service people knocking on doors with no answer or trays in the hallways full of half-eaten food. Having worked in shelters and food banks, it pains me to see so much food get wasted.

There are 4 of us on this cruise, so if we order a full breakfast that's only a few dollars per person for the convenience.

What if my special need is not being willing to pay ridiculous fees without having a conniption?

Have you ever had room service in a hotel?

They charge higher prices for the items than the restaurants. Plus they add a 15 - 30% room service charge. And some charge a mandatory gratuity.

Oh please you’re paying for the cruise. This fee is yet another way rccl is trying to nickel and dime its customers.

I don't agree.

I think that this is a way for RCI to control room service. Even people here on CC admitted to ordering room service for one plate of cookies.

Before this, reports were of over an hour to get room service. Now, it seems it comes much more quickly.

Thanks! Good to know. I don't love the added service fee BUT I also think it prevents people from ordering a ton of stuff from room service and then not eating it. I have seen room service people knocking on doors with no answer or trays in the hallways full of half-eaten food. Having worked in shelters and food banks, it pains me to see so much food get wasted.

There are 4 of us on this cruise, so if we order a full breakfast that's only a few dollars per person for the convenience.

And, as I mentioned, people were placing orders for one item.

So don’t use room service and if it bothers you that much find a different company to cruise with.

I get the continental breakfast. It upsets me that room service USED to be free and now it’s not.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with the nickel and dining. Just more fees for Royal. Sure they throw out some rationalizations but it is greed that is motivating Royal. First it was $3.95 or so for late night delivery. Then it was $7.95, then a service charge on the service charge. Next will no doubt be a menu price plus the service charges.

I know it is a for profit business but this is one instance where they made cruising less special. Just like no chocolates on your pillow. I don’t want a budget vacation, I want extraordinary. Where is the WOW?

I usually tip extra on cruises but am beginning to wonder why. If a restaurant at home imposes a mandatory fee, on principle I will not add to it. Not sure why I change my rule on cruises.