Port shopping

emam

I am looking for a spare battery for my Canon SX620 compact camera. We are going on Ventura in June, stopping at Oporto, Barcelona and Gibraltar. Does anyone know if I would be able to buy a battery in any of these ports cheaper than at home. Also is it safe to do so.

We are also stopping at Italy but I doubt I would be looking for one there.

I'd second Ranchi's suggestion - buy one from a Canon dealer at home, you won't save much if anything if you buy from a respectable outlet abroad. If you really can't manage the price try Duracell who produce (from my experience) batteries which provide about 75% of the performance of the official product at around half the price, and if you buy from someone like Duracell Direct you've got a UK point of contact if the thing fails. Don't buy knock-offs from Amazon or eBay, or from 'duty free' electronics shops abroad where the fascia is festooned with brand names and the windows are full of bling watches, cameras, telescopes and binoculars with reflective lens coatings.

Also try asking in the photography forum as the cruise line/ship you're sailing on is irrelevant so you may get a wider range of informed opinions there.

Thanks for your replies. We have just come back from a Battlefield tour and I tried to get a battery before we went. The only one I found that matched mine was out of stock. I did see the Duracell one's but I think at the time the delivery would have been too late. So I will look again at those, I did like the idea of those being a brand that it well known.

On a different note, every time I write a post the writing comes up different sizes. It must be something to do with using different devices to do so.