More fake service dog nonsense

on NOS now and an entitled buffoon walking around w his dog under his arm encouraging people to pet the dog. Not even one of those Amazon vests or pretending it’s a service dog. Got in an elevator w us and puts dog in my sons face. No thanks. Not sure who smelt worse the dog or the guy. Stay home w your “pets” not everyone thinks it’s cute. RCI really needs to get a backbone about this

on NOS now and an entitled buffoon walking around w his dog under his arm encouraging people to pet the dog. Not even one of those Amazon vests or pretending it’s a service dog. Got in an elevator w us and puts dog in my sons face. No thanks. Not sure who smelt worse the dog or the guy. Stay home w your “pets” not everyone thinks it’s cute. RCI really needs to get a backbone about this

It is not a service dog. He may be claiming comfort dog which is a big difference.

It is not a service dog. He may be claiming comfort dog which is a big difference.

Guy just flaunting system for attention and kicks and/or too cheap to pay for boarding for a few days. Ruins it for those w real needs. Sad in its own way. Pathetic

If he can't be without his "comfort dog" he should take another kind of vacation. This is from someone who has owned large dogs for over 40 yrs and have loved them dearly but they didn't come on cruises with me. Real PTSD dogs with proper certification and vests aren't little dogs carried in someone's arms.

I'm sorry to say nothing RCCL can do about this. The federal law in the United States is very clear. The cruise line or business cannot even ask the reason for the animal. It is not just Cruise lines same thing happens on Airplanes. I have a friend here, another American, who loves Standard Poodles, comes from a very wealthy New York Family. No health or mental issues, but plays the system. His dogs travel on the Airplane with him in the cabin.

He purchased a new puppy two years ago, from the top breeder in North America, but had the correct paperwork saying it was a service dog. Which here in the Philippines means go to the doctor pay a office fee and get the letter. With this letter he was able to travel with the dog in the cabin for the flight and no one could question anything.

What happened to the good ole days when there were Guide Dogs/Service Dogs ONLY, and they were for the (blind/visually impaired), and that was it!!:confused:

:confused:

What happened is people realised that animals could do way more than that, and unfortunately others realised that they could take advantage of that.

Dogas can sense things we can’t, by small primarily.

Diabetes

Epilepsy

And are great at helping deal with PTSD, Depression, anxiety and a multitude of other problems

What happened is people realised that animals could do way more than that, and unfortunately others realised that they could take advantage of that.

Dogas can sense things we can’t, by small primarily.

Diabetes

Epilepsy

And are great at helping deal with PTSD, Depression, anxiety and a multitude of other problems

I agree completely, it does not matter the size of the dog it can still be a service/comfort dog. I am not saying I agree with people abusing this, but it seems people in the U.S. specifically, push things to the furthest possible to get what they want. I was on a flight once from FLL to DTW and about 26 people needed to have a wheelchair to board, but it was amazing how many in that 3 hour flight had no problem walking off the plane because they did not want to wait for the wheelchair on landing. I even mentioned it to the flight attendants and they said it was a joke, most do it to board first and the airline gets charged for that service. Which guess who ends up paying for that in the end?

What happened to the good ole days when there were Guide Dogs/Service Dogs ONLY, and they were for the (blind/visually impaired), and that was it!!:confused:

Really is not important, only the current laws that are in place now. Do I think the current laws should be looked at absolutely, but until that happens nothing can be done.

:confused:

I am sorry but I find this humorous, what happened to the good old days when people who were old and walked slow actually parked in a regular spot and walked the distance into a store? Or someone that is obese actually had to walk a few extra feet? Of course both of those are me judging based on appearance but I am sure that privilege is also abused. Or because you are pregnant you get a special parking space? The U.S. is the most coddled spoiled nation I have ever seen, and I live here but have traveled to many countries around the world so I am basing this on first hand experiences.

I agree completely, it does not matter the size of the dog it can still be a service/comfort dog. I am not saying I agree with people abusing this, but it seems people in the U.S. specifically, push things to the furthest possible to get what they want. I was on a flight once from FLL to DTW and about 26 people needed to have a wheelchair to board, but it was amazing how many in that 3 hour flight had no problem walking off the plane because they did not want to wait for the wheelchair on landing. I even mentioned it to the flight attendants and they said it was a joke, most do it to board first and the airline gets charged for that service. Which guess who ends up paying for that in the end?

All it would really take is serious certification.

According to Royal' date=' they only allow service dogs. The ADA does not cover comfort animals.

[left']Royal Caribbean International welcomes service dogs on all ships.* Please note we do not accept pets.

[/left]

Oh but they do

I'm sorry to say nothing RCCL can do about this. The federal law in the United States is very clear. The cruise line or business cannot even ask the reason for the animal. It is not just Cruise lines same thing happens on Airplanes. I have a friend here, another American, who loves Standard Poodles, comes from a very wealthy New York Family. No health or mental issues, but plays the system. His dogs travel on the Airplane with him in the cabin.

He purchased a new puppy two years ago, from the top breeder in North America, but had the correct paperwork saying it was a service dog. Which here in the Philippines means go to the doctor pay a office fee and get the letter. With this letter he was able to travel with the dog in the cabin for the flight and no one could question anything.

The airlines are starting to catch on now.

To travel with an emotional support or psychiatric service animal, passengers must upload the required documentation at least 48 hours before a flight.

To travel with an emotional support animal, passengers must:

• Download and fill out the required Emotional Support or Psychiatric Service Animal PDF. You may submit a copy of vaccination records in lieu of the Veterinary Health Form as long as the vaccination dates and veterinary office information are included.
  • Upload it to My Trips through the Accessibility Service Request Form
  • Keep completed paperwork with you while traveling

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/special-travel-needs/service-animals.html

And furthermore:

Delta said the idea behind the new regulations is to keep trained service animals and emotional-support animals safe from aggressive ones. Overall, the airline says it carries 700 service or support animals every day. But people have tried to fly with everything from turkeys, to snakes, spiders and even gliding possums, which are also known as sugar gliders.

Since 2016, the company reported an 86-percent increase in 'animal incidents', that include animals urinating, biting or showing acts of aggression. Last June, a 70-pound dog flying as a support animal bit another passenger several times in the face on a Delta plane in Atlanta. The victim was hospitalized.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/delta-airlines-emotional-support-animal-policy-change-service-animals-dogs-incidents/

Oh but they do

The folks letting them on the ship may be in error. I have never seen anything from Royal that says ESA can board the ship.

The ADA is very clear about NOT protecting ESA...only service animals:

Q3. Are emotional support, therapy, comfort, or companion animals considered service animals under the ADA?

A. No. These terms are used to describe animals that provide comfort just by being with a person. Because they have not been trained to perform a specific job or task, they do not qualify as service animals under the ADA. However, some State or local governments have laws that allow people to take emotional support animals into public places. You may check with your State and local government agencies to find out about these laws.

Q4. If someone's dog calms them when having an anxiety attack, does this qualify it as a service animal?

A. It depends. The ADA makes a distinction between psychiatric service animals and emotional support animals. If the dog has been trained to sense that an anxiety attack is about to happen and take a specific action to help avoid the attack or lessen its impact, that would qualify as a service animal. However, if the dog's mere presence provides comfort, that would not be considered a service animal under the ADA.

https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html

Royal can change their policy to allow cats with roller skates to board if they want to, but right now, they only allow Service Dogs.

The folks letting them on the ship may be in error. I have never seen anything from Royal that says ESA can board the ship.

Royal can change their policy to allow cats with roller skates to board if they want to' date=' but right now, they only allow Service Dogs.

[left']

[/left]

It doesn't matter what is written. It doesn't matter what is said. Royal allows pets onboard.

I am deathly afraid of strange dogs since I got bit as a child. If I see a strange dog I get anxious. If someone puts one at my face, I may strike it or throw it overboard in my panic.

I have two comfort dogs at home trained to keep strange dogs away from me.

I can get a letter from my doctor certifying this anxiety.

LOL

If he can't be without his "comfort dog" he should take another kind of vacation. This is from someone who has owned large dogs for over 40 yrs and have loved them dearly but they didn't come on cruises with me. Real PTSD dogs with proper certification and vests aren't little dogs carried in someone's arms.

Part of the problem is that there is no official certification or vests. That is why you can get your dog certified for $50 online and buy them a vest on Amazon.

The main issue seems to be with separating service animals that are trained to perform an actual service, which the ADA laws cover, and emotional support animals, which are not trained to provide a service beyond being a pet and are therefore not covered by ADA. Companies just seem to be unwilling to figure this out.

It doesn't matter what is written. It doesn't matter what is said. Royal allows pets onboard.

If that is true, then Royal has erred or the owner has lied.

Royal cannot require any documentation proving an animal is a service animal. They can only ask...period.

If people are willing to lie, Royal can't do anything...zero..

The ADA is clear.

Royal can change their policy to allow cats with roller skates to board if they want to' date=' but right now, they only allow Service Dogs.

[left']

[/left]

There was a cat on our TA with Celebrity last November. Confined to the cabin of course, but a cat none the less...

Sent from my iPad using Forums