What to wear elegant night on carnival

THUDSON

The dress code is below. Basically, think neat and clean with no shorts or tee shirts and you are probably good to go. I normally wear a dress and DH slacks and a collared shirt (sometimes a tie, sometimes not). You will find that if you have 2 cruise elegant evenings, people tend to dress up more for the first than the second.

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown
  • Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

You very rarely see tuxedos and evening gowns on any mainstream lines these days

I do wear a suit and my wife a nice dress on the first Elegant Night only because we enjoy getting our pictures taken. If they don't come out, we dress up again for the second. If they do, I usually wear slacks and collared shirt and my wife dresses down similarly.

Basically wear what you would wear to a cocktail party as long as what you would wear is not in the prohibited items. You will see people less dressed and more dressed than you and you just remind yourself that that is probably what they would wear to a cocktail party.

On a Caribbean cruise on the main stream lines there are barely any dress codes these days. On a 4-night Mexico out of Ft. Lauderdale I just wore slacks and a dress shirt.

But, for a 7-night European cruise, I did wear a suit the night we ate in the MDR.

Don't worry about a suit if you don't want to, and certainly no need for a tux.

As a woman, I wear a nice Maxi dress in a nice fabric. I have seen women get really dressed up on Carnival in gowns with crinolines but that is NOT necessary at all. Depending on your age, wear your Prom Dress, bridesmaid's dress, Maxi dress or cocktail dress and that is more than enough.

I wear dockers and a golf shirt to the MDR on Carnival elegant nights. Years ago, I sometimes packed a tux, sometimes a sports jacket, but no more. Carnival is very relaxed. Now that I live in FL, I bring just one pair of slax for the 6 or 7 hours I spend on the 2 MDR elegant nights and 1 night in the Steakhouse. I wear dress shorts for the other nights.

One exception is that mens shorts are a no-no for the Carnival Steakhouse on any night. I've witnessed the majority of men wearing shorts being turned away by the Maitre'D.