Mens shorts in the dining room during a Caribbean Itinerary

glittergal1

Hello we are new to carnival and new to a Caribbean itinerary , My question is regarding the type of shorts men can wear in the dining room are shorts with outer pockets ok (cargo shorts) or do they have to be the smarter straight leg short with out turn ups? or are turn ups allowed ?

We always sailed in Europe were my husband always wore smart trousers and shirt for dinner , He is looking forward to wearing shorts :D

Formal night would smart trousers , shirt and tie be OK ?

You can't wear basketball shorts but any other type shorts are fine in the MDR. On elegant night long pants and a polo shirt is great to wear. You will see a few ties floating around also. Basically whatever you wear, you won't be out of place. Be comfortable and enjoy your cruise!

I am always freezing cold on board ships and especially in the MDR.

DH doesn't like to feel chilled while eating so he doesn't wear shorts into the dining room but if you are not cold and can be comfy in them then you will be just fine.

You can't wear basketball shorts but any other type shorts are fine in the MDR. On elegant night long pants and a polo shirt is great to wear. You will see a few ties floating around also. Basically whatever you wear, you won't be out of place. Be comfortable and enjoy your cruise!

And no cutoffs:

Cruise Casual Dress Code

• Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts

You will see everything on Elegant night from tuxes to suits to slacks. Collared shirts with or without a tie.

And don't forget shorts, uncollared shirts and baseball caps..... Saw it 3x on my Vista cruise in November on Formal nights!!

Hello we are new to carnival and new to a Caribbean itinerary , My question is regarding the type of shorts men can wear in the dining room are shorts with outer pockets ok (cargo shorts) or do they have to be the smarter straight leg short with out turn ups? or are turn ups allowed ?

We always sailed in Europe were my husband always wore smart trousers and shirt for dinner , He is looking forward to wearing shorts :D

DH wears chino shorts and a a polo untucked for dinner every night. On elegant night he wears khaki pants and button up shirt tucked in (no tie). He either wears boat shoes or nice sandles for dinner and he's been fine!

Only of Elegant nights does my husband wear long pants. We live in Florida and he wears shorts all the time everywhere. Last time he brought his suit I think the next 2 cruises he will leave the suit at home and wear his favorite tropical shirt.. It will make the luggage lighter

Thank you my husband will be happy that he can wear shorts and it be acceptable , trousers on formal night though I will insist on that , Re formal nights I understand there will be 2 on a 7 night cruise is this correct? We board in Barbados on a Wednesday is there any set days for formal nights?

Are there any other theme nights? white party etc

Thank you my husband will be happy that he can wear shorts and it be acceptable , trousers on formal night though I will insist on that , Re formal nights I understand there will be 2 on a 7 night cruise is this correct? We board in Barbados on a Wednesday is there any set days for formal nights?

Are there any other theme nights? white party etc

There were 2 formal nights on our last 7 day. The first was the 2nd night, and the last was the 2nd to last night. I think it can vary by ship and itinerary.

I honestly don't remember any theme nights, except one night they had a Mega Deck Party. I think they have theme nights on the Journeys cruises.

We are currently on the Glory, our 3rd straight week, and this is what I've seen, ,,,

MDR casual night=about 70% of men are in shorts.

MDR elegant night=about 70% of men are wearing pants of some type with a colared shirt of some type including Polo's.

Your husband will be fine! Have a great cruise!

We are currently on the Glory, our 3rd straight week, and this is what I've seen, ,,,

MDR casual night=about 70% of men are in shorts.

MDR elegant night=about 70% of men are wearing pants of some type with a colared shirt of some type including Polo's.

Your husband will be fine! Have a great cruise!

I'm not disputing what the poster has personally observed on Glory but I never recall seeing dress shorts on Elegant Night in multiple Carnival cruises and the OP should not count on being admitted to the MDR. I absolutely have seen people turned away. It may be possible that the 30% mentioned are wearing something more formal than slack/shirt however and that I am misinterpreting. YMMV.

I had to search what turn ups are (cuffs in the States) - I don't think that they would be common but should be allowed. Cargo shorts on casual nights would definitely be fine and what my husband plans to wear with a polo (collared, short sleeve) shirt.

Smart trousers and non-athletic shirt would be acceptable for formal night. A dress shirt with tie, jacket, full suit, or tux are all options too, but pants and polo are fine. I don't think they are listed as either allowed or excluded, but a kilt should be acceptable too (a true kilt, but possibly not the "Utilikilt" that I've seen sometimes in the US).