What has gone back to QE2 from QE?

Lanky Lad

Guest SilverHengroen

As I understand it more or less everything that was transferred in the first place - from Bluemarble in another thread: the Queen’s bust, the silver QE2 model and Queen mother’s personal standard. Not sure about the bell, though I assume so. Possibly one or two other items I’m not remembering as well.

Thanks. A shame they have left qe but I guess they have gone back to where they belong.

Sent from my 9001X using Forums mobile app

With respect no - they have not gone back to where they belong. They we artefacts and commemorative items of high value given to Cunard as a shipping line. They were merely on general display on the Cunard ships - in that case the then Cunard QE2 as a sea going liner. The current QE2 is no longer part of the Cunard fleet, it is no longer a seaworthy ship. It a a mere floating hotel and is no longer owned by Cunard and therefore there should be no reason to strip these items from the Cunard archives/displays on the ships. Unless of course some idiot at Cunard/Carnival Cruise line sold them with the actual QE2: WHICH WOULD HAVE BEEN ONE AMAZING GARAGE SALE AND ONE MONUMENTAL MESS UP; which why explain why there is nothing being said officially about this by Cunard.

As I understand it more or less everything that was transferred in the first place - from Bluemarble in another thread: the Queen’s bust, the silver QE2 model and Queen mother’s personal standard. Not sure about the bell, though I assume so. Possibly one or two other items I’m not remembering as well.

Just to be clear, I can't take credit for any particular insight into what has been transferred from QE to QE2. The items I listed in a previous post originally came from safarigal in this post of hers from March 18th on her "Greetings from Queen Elizabeth" thread.

This may have been posted elsewhere, but in today’s Daily Programme on QE there is a notice that the bust of Queen Elizabeth in the Queens Room, the personal standard of the Queen Mother, and the silver model of QE2 in the yacht club are to be packed away and transferred to QM2 in Hong Kong, as they have to be returned to Dubai Ports as they are only on loan to QE. :(

We returned from QM2 yesterday and a few days earlier it was announced in our Daily Programme that a Royal Standard and the Laconia Cup were being returned to QE2.

What is interesting is the fact that there were actually two Royal Standards displayed on the wall in the Queens Room; one small and one large.

The Daily Programme referred to the larger one on the starboard side but it was the smaller one on the port side that was eventually removed.

I guess it must have been a typographical error in the Daily Programme.

I find it... interesting. Cunard trade so much on the "Ocean Liner History" and of the traditions of the line, and of the many ships in the fleet since 1840.

Constantly refer back to the previous queens: Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth, Queen Elizabeth 2, and the many famous liners before them, Mauretania, Lusitania, Aquitania et al.

Even the interior decor of the current fleet reflects that proud history, of a bygone age, with a "Maritime Trail" and dozens of art works showing the many famous ships from the company's past.

And yet Cunard cannot dispose of that history fast enough.

So instead of Cunard passengers seeing the wonderful art deco piano from Queen Mary (used to be in the Chart Room on QE2 if I recall), the bust of HMQ from QE2's Queens Room, the Royal Standard of HM Queen Elizabeth, the silver model of QE2, the many ship models that were onboard QE2, the many irreplaceable artifacts reputed to be in the ward room on QE2, etc, etc, onboard a current (and future) Cunard vessel, we see what from Cunard's illustrious past?

Those pathetic display cases of "maritime history" (no doubt bought cheap in a Southampton junk shop) on board QE and QV.

Who is to blame? I Blame Micky Arison. He bought Cunard's name and history for sound commercial reasons. He could have added to, and over time, vastly increased the value of that name and accompanying history.

Instead, he proceeded to sell Cunard's history as quickly as possible.

Edited by pepperrn

With respect no - they have not gone back to where they belong. They we artefacts and commemorative items of high value given to Cunard as a shipping line. They were merely on general display on the Cunard ships - in that case the then Cunard QE2 as a sea going liner. The current QE2 is no longer part of the Cunard fleet, it is no longer a seaworthy ship. It a a mere floating hotel and is no longer owned by Cunard and therefore there should be no reason to strip these items from the Cunard archives/displays on the ships. Unless of course some idiot at Cunard/Carnival Cruise line sold them with the actual QE2: WHICH WOULD HAVE BEEN ONE AMAZING GARAGE SALE AND ONE MONUMENTAL MESS UP; which why explain why there is nothing being said officially about this by Cunard.

The gold bust of Queen Elizabeth 11, the silver model of QE2 displayed outside The Yacht Club, Royal Standards in Queens Room, the QE2 bell and the builders plaque from outside Commodore Club have definitely returned because we were told on a recent QE cruise that they were only on loan form the new owners and were sold at the same time QE2 was sold. Somebody wants to be hung drawn and quartered for not removing these items prior to sale and not including them in the sale.

The gold bust of Queen Elizabeth 11, the silver model of QE2 displayed outside The Yacht Club, Royal Standards in Queens Room, the QE2 bell and the builders plaque from outside Commodore Club have definitely returned because we were told on a recent QE cruise that they were only on loan form the new owners and were sold at the same time QE2 was sold. Somebody wants to be hung drawn and quartered for not removing these items prior to sale and not including them in the sale.
Well said majortom10.

I believe that Queen Mary was sold in the 60s to Long Beach "as is"; similar seems to have happened with Queen Elizabeth 2. There should have been a list "except the following items..."

At least the Boston Cup is safe on board QM2, for now anyway.
Don't say that too loudly Lanky Lad, they'll sell that next! ;) .

(It has been missing the lid for many years; anyone here like to own up to having a really nice silver souvenir at home of a long-ago voyage? :D )

Edited by pepperrn

We returned from QM2 yesterday and a few days earlier it was announced in our Daily Programme that a Royal Standard and the Laconia Cup were being returned to QE2.

What is interesting is the fact that there were actually two Royal Standards displayed on the wall in the Queens Room; one small and one large.

The Daily Programme referred to the larger one on the starboard side but it was the smaller one on the port side that was eventually removed.

I guess it must have been a typographical error in the Daily Programme.

Hello, IMO clearly when Arison's company took over Cunard and finally sold on QE2 after aborted deals they did not bother to ensure that historic items relevant to Cunard AND not just QE2 were excluded from the sale. I think in particular of the 'Laconia Cup'. He and Carnival Corp are said to have little or no regarding or interest in the history of Cunard beyond the 'Marketing' and 'PR' potential. It is interesting that the displays on QV and QE have been subtlety removed - no doubt they may consider "flogged on" the remaining items of heritage with little regard for the consequences.