The classic dilemma

I know this is a question that has been asked time and time again, but I haven't seen it here lately and thought I'd gauge what people are doing nowadays. Do you guys take your passport with you off the ship each time you go ashore?

It seems very risky, but it also seems as if it's pointless to bring with you if you don't plan on taking it off the boat just in case

I know this is a question that has been asked time and time again, but I haven't seen it here lately and thought I'd gauge what people are doing nowadays. Do you guys take your passport with you off the ship each time you go ashore?

It seems very risky, but it also seems as if it's pointless to bring with you if you don't plan on taking it off the boat just in case

This really is discussed often.

I will tell you two things: My opinion, and my assessment of how these threads go.

In the Caribbean, I NEVER NEVER NEVER take my passport off the ship with me. It remains safely locked in my safe. I have photos of the important pages in my phone, which DOES go off the ship with me.

The identification that I take with me is my photo driver's license. That is all that any local authorities require.

These threads usually split 2/3 to 1/3, with 2/3 NOT taking their passports.

In Europe, it may be different. In South America, the ship keeps your passport, because it expedites the clearance process in most of those ports. In Europe, they often keep your passport for the same reason.

(To be clear, I am talking about US citizens. I have no information about other nationalities)

Here in Asia they took our passports upon arrival. On the first cruise with stops in Malaysia and Thailand they gave them back after the port visits.

For the second cruise once again they took them at the start and we have not had them for Vietnam and Hong Kong. Tomorrow they are giving them back as we have face to face immigration in Korea.

We do as Carol said, copies of pertinent passport pages and photo IDs

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

We usually only take our with us if there is an announcement to do so. I don't think we've ever been asked to show it anywhere.

I guess they ask you to do it in case of an emergency but most times we don't bother.

My opinion. Why would you NOT take your passport with you. IF (and I know it's a big if) something should happen and you miss the ship, a picture of your passport will not get you on a plane to catch up with the ship at the next port. A picture will certainly help you get a new passport but it won't get you on a plane. People talk about losing their passport or having it stolen. Treat your passport as you would your wallet or your purse. I have never had my wallet lost or stolen and I don't expect to lose my passport or have it stolen either.

My opinion. Why would you NOT take your passport with you. IF (and I know it's a big if) something should happen and you miss the ship, a picture of your passport will not get you on a plane to catch up with the ship at the next port. A picture will certainly help you get a new passport but it won't get you on a plane. People talk about losing their passport or having it stolen. Treat your passport as you would your wallet or your purse. I have never had my wallet lost or stolen and I don't expect to lose my passport or have it stolen either.

No one expects for ANYTHING to be lost or stolen...

I use the passport card - not drivers license- as photo ID in the Caribbean. Also use passport for checkin and the card for departure as it seems to be faster when going through passport control, no page flipping.

Do have mobile pass app which requires passport but usually not working at FLL the last couple of cruises.

My mother in law ended up needing emergency surgery while on a cruise. We all disembarked half way through and ended up flying home. The process was made much easier because we had used our passport for the cruise even though it was a closed loop cruise that did not require a passport.

According to people who have missed the ship at a port call, their passports were given to the port agent before the ship left. Their passports were taken from their cabin and were waiting for them at the dock. The best thing to do is keep your passport in your safe, because that is the first place they will look for it.

(The port agent's contact information is printed in the Cruise Compass on each port day. You should snap a photo of it and have it with you off the ship.)

You have a passport (or other ID) for two reasons: 1) So the ship personnel will make you a ship ID allowing you to board and come /go at the various islands. 2) So US Customs will let you back in to the US at the end of your vacation.

Once you have a ship ID, the ship won't require your passport (or other ID) again.

As for risky, yes, I do personally know one person who lost her passport in a taxi (going through her bags, consolidating, the passport slipped out) and another person who was pickpocketed on an island. The ID that's going to get you back into the US should stay safely in your cabin while you go ashore with your Ship ID.

... IF (and I know it's a big if) something should happen and you miss the ship, a picture of your passport will not get you on a plane to catch up with the ship at the next port.
This topic gets more attention that it should. You have a watch. You know what time the ship will sail. It takes a pretty big mistake to mess up.

Don't allow your group to split up. Have cash in your pocket in case you need to take a taxi. Don't wait 'til the last minute to return to the ship.

I always wonder about those that are worried about their passport being stolen, how many times they have been pickpocketed or robbed?

MANY of these threads. MANY people afraid of taking their passport. But NOT ONE REPORT OF THEFT OR CASH OR WALLET.

And BTW, if they would have gotten your passport, they would get your sail pass and photo ID, so you are in trouble anyways.

I never take my passport off the ship while in a port . I need it before the cruise leaves and when it ends only.

We have only done Caribbean cruises. I only take my drivers license and cruise card. A passport is just another thing to worry about if you want to go swimming. The only port where I was asked for photo ID was in Bermuda. The cruise card was enough ID to get me past the gated entrance to the ship at every other port.

Outside of the conversation about passports, ALWAYS bring the contact information for the cruiseline's port contact. He or she are a great resource in case of an emergency. It is always listed on the daily info sheets.

Leave your passport in your cabin safe when you go ashore. If you don't return to the ship, your passport will be retrieved and left with a representative at port.

This might sound like a stupid question but how exactly will a cruise rep know to retrieve my passport from the safe? Do they do a head count and retrieve it automatically when they discover I’m missing or do I make a phone call to the cruise line?

This might sound like a stupid question but how exactly will a cruise rep know to retrieve my passport from the safe? Do they do a head count and retrieve it automatically when they discover I’m missing or do I make a phone call to the cruise line?

They know exactly who is on and off the ship at all times.

According to people who have missed the ship at a port call, their passports were given to the port agent before the ship left. Their passports were taken from their cabin and were waiting for them at the dock. The best thing to do is keep your passport in your safe, because that is the first place they will look for it.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but, in my opinion, the best thing to do is carry your passport with you so you don't have to worry about anyone retrieving it from your cabin.