Pillows

NeedPeace

This is probably a stupid question but I could be wrong because on our first ever cruise last year we found that Cunard fall over themselves to help where they can. This is one of the reasons we've booked again.

I know that if we booked a 'Grill' package we could choose which type of pillows we have but is it possible to just request a change in a normal balcony room? Last year we found that the pillows were too 'bouncy' and although you squashed them into shape by putting your head down, they still ran off when you moved. I'm used to a memory foam one, which is pretty firm and immovable so the problem is maybe just me! (Perhaps I should take my own?)

Hi NeedPeace

Technically no; I believe you need to be booked in the Grills or Britannia Club cabins for pillow choice.

However, I once asked my cabin steward politely for a change as the pillow was too soft. He swapped it later the same day. I didn't ask on embarkation day, I "gave it a go", and he was far less busy the following day.

It may come down to the individual crew member. A "newbie" may not, following newly-learnt rules. An "old hand" may know how to get a change for you.

As for taking your own, a "memory foam" pillow is heavy; I'd think twice if any flying to/from the ship is involved.

Good luck!

Bon Voyage!

Edited by pepperrn

Hi NeedPeace

Technically no; I believe you need to be booked in the Grills or Britannia Club cabins for pillow choice.

However, I once asked my cabin steward politely for a change as the pillow was too soft. He swapped it later the same day. I didn't ask on embarkation day, I "gave it a go", and he was far less busy the following day.

It may come down to the individual crew member. A "newbie" may not, following newly-learnt rules. An "old hand" may know how to get a change for you.

As for taking your own, a "memory foam" pillow is heavy; I'd think twice if any flying to/from the ship is involved.

Good luck!

Bon Voyage!

Hi,

I have frequently asked for different pillows in a Britannia cabin and have always been given one. However, I have never found one I like, in fact some have been like bricks, so I now take my own pillow from home. I don't fly so there is not a problem with the weight. I put a bright pillowcase on it and I mention it to the steward. It has never been a problem and I now sleep much better on board.

I always take my own pillow, a silk one, because the pillows in almost every place I stay are awful.

On the last night of our most recent transatlantic we returned to our room to find my pillow missing. It was about 11pm and too late, in our opinion, to disturb our steward but we did report the fact that it was missing to the purser's office.

They obviously contacted our steward because, despite our Do Not Disturb notice on the door, he knocked with my pillow in his hand at about 7 am the following morning.

Why he had felt he could take it I had no idea since I had placed it, as I do every morning wherever I am, in the wardrobe and all Cunard pillows were present and correct in the cabin.

I was not best pleased since I had a terrible night's sleep on their pillows and my pillow would be expensive (around £75) to replace.

To try and avoid this in the future I have also bought a coloured pillowcase but I still think he was wrong to take my pillow from the wardrobe.

Just like Camgirl I do not fly so the weight is not an issue.

Hi NeedPeace

Good luck!

Bon Voyage!

Hi Pepperrn,

Thank you for this, sensible to wait the day and probably right about the 'Newbie' and rules.

We should have booked the same cabin as last year, it was available when we booked, maybe the same steward would still be on that area. He was lovely, so helpful!

No flights involved - that's how we got into cruising, my absolute phobia of flying!

Many thanks,

Hi,

I have frequently asked for different pillows in a Britannia cabin and have always been given one. However, I have never found one I like, in fact some have been like bricks, so I now take my own pillow from home. I don't fly so there is not a problem with the weight. I put a bright pillowcase on it and I mention it to the steward. It has never been a problem and I now sleep much better on board.

Hi Camgirl,

Thank you for your reply. That's a worry though - if you've never found one you like there's a good chance I won't either! I'm so glad it's not just me and I'm grateful not to have been told that it was a stupid question as well. No flying for us either so I'm seriously considering taking mine now. Thanks for the bright pillowcase tip.

Best wishes,

I always take my own pillow, a silk one, because the pillows in almost every place I stay are awful.

On the last night of our most recent transatlantic we returned to our room to find my pillow missing. It was about 11pm and too late, in our opinion, to disturb our steward but we did report the fact that it was missing to the purser's office.

They obviously contacted our steward because, despite our Do Not Disturb notice on the door, he knocked with my pillow in his hand at about 7 am the following morning.

Why he had felt he could take it I had no idea since I had placed it, as I do every morning wherever I am, in the wardrobe and all Cunard pillows were present and correct in the cabin.

I was not best pleased since I had a terrible night's sleep on their pillows and my pillow would be expensive (around £75) to replace.

To try and avoid this in the future I have also bought a coloured pillowcase but I still think he was wrong to take my pillow from the wardrobe.

Just like Camgirl I do not fly so the weight is not an issue.

Hi Cabinet,

That's amazing, that he would take something from the wardrobe. Having said that, if there are so many Cunard options for pillows, perhaps he thought it was one of theirs and that it was in the wardrobe because it was in the way in the cabin? Who knows?

I think you are right that a brightly coloured pillowcase might be the answer, especially for an expensive one to lose. Perhaps alerting the steward to the fact that you've brought your own (as Camgirl said) might also be a good move.

I think my memory foam one might be going on holiday!

Many thanks.

Hi Cabinet,

That's amazing, that he would take something from the wardrobe. Having said that, if there are so many Cunard options for pillows, perhaps he thought it was one of theirs and that it was in the wardrobe because it was in the way in the cabin? Who knows?

I think you are right that a brightly coloured pillowcase might be the answer, especially for an expensive one to lose. Perhaps alerting the steward to the fact that you've brought your own (as Camgirl said) might also be a good move.

I think my memory foam one might be going on holiday!

Many thanks.

Yes I might mention it to a steward in future but it's never happened before anywhere so I just wasn't expecting it. I am afraid that I had such a lousy night's sleep that when he knocked at the door with it in his hand I just took it from him with rather a filthy look and a thank you that was far from genuine.

I have never regretted taking my pillow with me anywhere so buy a lovely bright pillowcase and look forward to a decent night's sleep.

Enjoy your cruise.

I find the pillows horribly soft and offering absolutely no neck support. Somebody - it might have been BigMac - suggested asking the steward(ess) to double fill the pillowslip, and that does help.

Thank you Cruiseluvva (and possibly BigMac) that does sound like a possible solution as well; because you are right they are too soft and there's no support at all.

Thank you.

Cruiseluvva is right Hattie, at least you don't need to worry about bringing your own/hiding it/explaining it/disguising it/buying a luminous pillowcase for it! I'm just impressed that nobody said it was a stupid question.

Cruiseluvva is right Hattie, at least you don't need to worry about bringing your own/hiding it/explaining it/disguising it/buying a luminous pillowcase for it! I'm just impressed that nobody said it was a stupid question.
True, but I think the question has been asked before so you are not alone. I hope you find a satisfactory solution.

True, but I think the question has been asked before so you are not alone. I hope you find a satisfactory solution.
I believe I might have asked the question when I was having problems sleeping with the pillows. Others said they took their pillows and mine has been travelling with me ever since. At first I would hide it away each day but now I just tell the steward and leave the pillow on the bed.

By the way, my husband loves the Cunard pillows. We are all different!

On my last cruise (not Cunard), I totally burst out laughing when I walked into our room and saw our bed.

99d20d90063f42d979c7081b6f65fae9.jpg

Someone must have left a note on our preference records from out previous cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my last cruise (not Cunard), I totally burst out laughing when I walked into our room and saw our bed.

99d20d90063f42d979c7081b6f65fae9.jpg

Someone must have left a note on our preference records from out previous cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! Were they all different?

I absolutely love the cunard pillows they are so soft and you just sink into them. The pillows standing up behind seem to be a lot firmer and I don't use them. Would love to know what sort of pillows they use

Wow! Were they all different?

I would ask for the lower pillow on the left. I like a flat pillow and have asked for one of the oldest, flattest, pillows that turned out to be pre- refurbishment. Eeeww...I know, but I was waking up with a stiff neck and on these two occasions was not offered an alternative. Sad really, I just wanted a flat pillow with any filling. A good sleep means a happy Cunarder, in my case, anyway. I will now take a pillow on my next voyage. Sad really for an upmarket line.

The two larger pillow were extremely firm. The stack for 4 pillows were relatively soft. We swapped two soft for to hard between us at nights.

I like firm high pillows. The other half just wants one soft pillow.

Just to repeat, this photo was not Cunard but another cruise line