Can't book refundable deposit using Safari, but can in Chrome

Daghis

I thought I was seeing a price drop on one of my cruises, but when I called Royal Caribbean to get the lower price, I was told that it was only lower if I went for a non-refundable deposit. That seemed odd, but then I looked at how I checked the price in the browser (Safari on a Mac) and noticed that the web site never asked me whether I wanted refundable or non-refundable; it seemed to assume non-refundable.

As an experiment, I tried the same thing using a "private" (also known as "incognito") window, but I saw the same behavior. The web site funneled me directly into a non-refundable deposit.

I then tried the same thing using Chrome. This time, I was prompted to select refundable or non-refundable, and then I saw the same pricing options that the representative on the phone had described.

I wonder why using Safari seems to skip that step for me.

Maybe it does depend on that, but I would think that changing browsers then wouldn't matter.

For those curious, the particular sailing I was looking at is Independence of the Seas (5-night itinerary) on January 12, 2019.

I'd think maybe I have a bad cookie (I know that Royal Caribbean doesn't manage their cookies well), but the "private" window should have avoided any issue with that.

Maybe it does depend on that, but I would think that changing browsers then wouldn't matter.

For those curious, the particular sailing I was looking at is Independence of the Seas (5-night itinerary) on January 12, 2019.

I'd think maybe I have a bad cookie (I know that Royal Caribbean doesn't manage their cookies well), but the "private" window should have avoided any issue with that.

Must be something to do with the cookies. I checked that date using safari and I see both refundable and non refundable.

It could also be the version of IOS that you are using. When I bought my new iPad in December I noticed a big difference in how the website behaved. It seemed as though they didn’t support older versions.

There was a thread about this yesterday, and it happened to me this morning on my Android device. When I went to my laptop I got both prices. This was for a cruise later 2019 Weird

Can't find that thread, otherwise I'd merge this.

Must be something to do with the cookies. I checked that date using safari and I see both refundable and non refundable.

It could also be the version of IOS that you are using. When I bought my new iPad in December I noticed a big difference in how the website behaved. It seemed as though they didn’t support older versions.

Thanks for checking and trying to confirm. One possible difference, perhaps, is that I'm using a Mac.

It's part of this thread- starts on post 8 not sure if worth merging, that is a decision only you can make:halo:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2626344

Ah, it was previously discovered. I saw that thread and didn't notice that the thread had diverged slightly.

I'm glad it's not just me.