Cunard unveils 2020 itineraries

SummmerInKefalonia

I don't see anything for June through August, but on another booking site I do see:

September 9 - 18 day Alaska inside passage - Vancouver to Tokyo

September 9 - 27 Day World & Exotic - Vancouver to Tokyo

September 28 - 9 Day Japan & Far East - Tokyo to Tokyo

October 7 - 9 Day Japan & Far East - Tokyo to Tokyo

October 7 - 18 Day Japan & Far East - Tokyo to Tokyo

October 16 - 9 Day Japan & Far East - Tokyo to Tokyo

October 16 - 16 Day China Cruises - Tokyo to Hong Kong

October 16 - 23 Day Southeast Asia - Tokyo to Singapore

October 16 - 36 Day Japan & Far East - Tokyo to Brisbane

October 16 - 38 Day Southeast Asia- Tokyo to Sydney

October 16 - 40 Day Australia & New Zealand - Tokyo to Melbourne

October 25 - 7 Day China Cruises- Tokyo to Hong Kong

October 25 - 14 Day Southeast Asia - Tokyo to Singapore

November 1 - 7 Day Southeast Asia - Hong Kong to Singapore

November 1 - 20 Day Asia/Africa/Middle East - Hong Kong to Brisbane

November 1 - 22 Day Japan & Far East - Hong Kong to Sydney

November 1 - 24 Day Japan & Far East - Hong Kong to Melbourne

November 8 - 13 Day Australia & New Zealand - Singapore to Brisbane

November 8 - 15 Day Australia & New Zealand - Singapore to Sydney

November 8 - 17 Day Australia & New Zealand - Singapore to Melbourne

November 21 - 2 Day Australia & New Zealand - Brisbane to Sydney

November 21 - 4 Day Australia & New Zealand - Brisbane to Melbourne

November 23 - 2 Day Australia & New Zealand - Sidney to Melbourne

Since the May cruises end up in Vancouver I'll make a guess that QE will be doing Alaska cruises through the summer.

It looks like QE leaves Vancouver on June 2 for a 10 day Alaska cruise. Based on the 2019 schedule I'd guess this is the prototype for the summer 2020 schedule.

June 2 Vancouver

June 3 Cruise Inside Passage

June 4 Tracy Arm and Juneau

June 5 Skagway

June 6 Hubbard Glacier

June 7 Icy Strait

June 8 Sitka

June 9 Ketchikan

June 10 Cruising

June 11 Victoria

June 12 Vancouver

There might also be a 7 Day Vancouver to Seward cruise (or six days, Vancouver to Anchorage) on Sept 9.

Looking at Sydney cruise ship schedules, Queen Elizabeth will be making regular calls at Sydney right through to March 2021. If QE then has another Alaska season in 2021, we may not see her back in the UK until much later in 2021 or even 2022.

Well, it's all very curious. P&O has had a major presence in the Australian cruise market since the mid 1930s. But someone at Carnival has decided Cunard should, too. At the expense not only of its traditional UK market but entailing the even more inexplicable and almost total withdrawal from the Mediterranean. As for Alaska, one would think that was already overtonnaged with Carnival's Princess and Holland America. Carnival has too many brands chasing too few markets it seems. But removing Cunard from its Mediterranean presence (which dates to 1905) is a headscratcher.

For those of us who like traditional ex-Southampton cruising on Cunard, it's Baltic or Bust for the next three years it seems. I guess it's Bust for many. I think QV has but 2-3 cruises in the Med all of 2019 and 2020. Shame.

Hello all,

Does anyone know the schedule of QE after May? Any ideas why it isn't posted anywhere, or perhaps I am missing it. I really look forward to sailing on her summer of 2020.

Thanks!

The bulk of the Cunard 2019 schedule was announced last year on September 5, 2017. However, that did not include most of QE's Alaska itineraries for 2019 which were not officially announced until October 23, 2017. Presumably something similar is going on with QE's Alaska itineraries for 2020. If they keep to a similar schedule this year, look for an announcement about the remainder of QE's summer 2020 schedule (June 12-Sept 9, 2020) toward the end of October.

Well, it's all very curious. P&O has had a major presence in the Australian cruise market since the mid 1930s. But someone at Carnival has decided Cunard should, too.
There has been some conjecture here that the fourth Cunard ship would allow an increased Cunard presence in Asia and Aus/NZ.

Looking at Sydney cruise ship schedules, Queen Elizabeth will be making regular calls at Sydney right through to March 2021. If QE then has another Alaska season in 2021, we may not see her back in the UK until much later in 2021 or even 2022.

In addition, it looks like all three queens will be in Australia at some point during February/March 2021. In fact, based on what the Sydney cruise schedule is showing, QE and QV may both be in Sydney on 1 March 2021 while QE and QM2 may both be in Sydney on 8 March 2021.

The bulk of the Cunard 2019 schedule was announced last year on September 5, 2017. However, that did not include most of QE's Alaska itineraries for 2019 which were not officially announced until October 23, 2017. Presumably something similar is going on with QE's Alaska itineraries for 2020. If they keep to a similar schedule this year, look for an announcement about the remainder of QE's summer 2020 schedule (June 12-Sept 9, 2020) toward the end of October.

We were on board the QM2 in late Sept./early Oct. last year and were prepared to book an Alaska cruise. Yoyo and her colleague explained to us that there will definitely be Alaska cruises, but the itineraries were still being tweaked. They weren't going to accept bookings until this was sorted. So we booked a future cruise deposit and booked the cruise when it became available. It appears there will be more of those Alaska cruises in 2020 than in 2019.

Just to update a couple items from my previous posts above concerning the 2020 itineraries...

Cunard have corrected their posted itinerary for QM2 voyage M020, the "Independence Day Celebration" voyage (29 June-6 July 2020) to include Portland, Maine. Instead of entirely omitting 3 July 2020 from the itinerary, it now shows "Fri 3 Jul - anchor Portland". Not that there was really any doubt about that port call, but now it can actually be seen as such on the Cunard web site.

The 1-6 November 2020 QM2 voyage (probably voyage M036) which some sites are showing as "Hamburg, Stavanger, Oslo, Hamburg" has not been posted on the Cunard web site and is not listed in the "April 2019 - December 2020" online brochure available for download from the Cunard UK web site. As I mentioned before, my thinking is the most likely scenario would be a charter from Hamburg, similar to previous years. I suppose another possibility could be an extension of her drydock which I have been assuming is the reason for the subsequent gap in her schedule for 6-28 November 2020.

• 2 weeks later...
I still don't see the QE schedule for June to August. Am I lost?

Thanks in advance!

To echo Underwatr, no, you are not lost. We are assuming QE will be doing a full schedule of Alaska itineraries during June, July, and August of 2020 but nothing has been announced yet. Last year it wasn't until late in October that QE's 2019 Alaska schedule was formally announced.

Thanks so much for the quick responses. I wonder why they haven't finalized yet?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

My guess is that Alaska itineraries have so many ships from other cruise lines that cruise Alaska every summer , squeezing in the late comer, Cunard, to decent port times can be a challenge ?

• 2 months later...

Some of QE's previously unannounced 2020 Alaska itineraries are now posted on the new Cunard US web site. Some (but not all) of these are also listed on the Cunard UK web site as well. Here is what I am seeing on the US site.

12 Jun - 22 Jun: Vancouver, Inside Passage, Icy Strait Point, Skagway, Sitka, Hubbard Glacier, Juneau, Ketchikan, Victoria, Vancouver

22 Jun - 2 Jul: Vancouver, Inside Passage, Ketchikan, Icy Strait Point, Juneau, Skagway, Hubbard Glacier, Sitka, Victoria, Vancouver

2 Jul - 9 Jul: Vancouver, San Francisco (over night), Victoria, Vancouver

9 Jul - 21 Jul: Vancouver, Inside Passage, Sitka, Hubbard Glacier, Anchorage, Kodiak, Seward, Ketchikan, Vancouver

21 Jul - 31 Jul: Vancouver, Inside Passage, Juneau, Skagway, Hubbard Glacier, Icy Strait Point, Sitka, Ketchikan, Victoria, Vancouver

31 Jul - 11 Aug: Vancouver, Inside Passage, Tracy Arm/Juneau, Skagway, Sitka, Ketchikan, Icy Strait Point, Victoria, Vancouver

11 Aug - 20 Aug: Vancouver, Inside Passage, Tracy Arm/Juneau, Skagway, Hubbard Glacier, Sitka, Victoria, Vancouver

The Inside Passage, Hubbard Glacier, and Tracy Arm calls are all "cruise by" calls.

QE will be going to San Francisco once again in early July 2020. But instead of continuing on to Los Angeles, Fort Lauderdale, and Southampton as she will be doing in 2019, she will be heading back for more Alaska cruises (as we expected).

The Cunard UK site lists Astoria (Oregon) as an additional port call for QE's 2 Jul - 9 Jul 2020 cruise. That Astoria port call is not shown on the US site yet. The Cunard UK site also lists College Fjord as a "cruise by" call on QE's 9 Jul - 21 Jul 2020 cruise.

I'm not seeing anything listed yet for QE for 20 Aug - 8 Sept 2020 before she heads back to Japan from Vancouver.

• Thanks 1

Here are the last two of QE's newly announced 2020 Alaska itineraries (covering 20 Aug - 8 Sep) as found on a cruise travel agent web site.

20 Aug - 29 Aug: Vancouver, Inside Passage, Tracy Arm/Juneau, Skagway, Hubbard Glacier, Sitka, Ketchikan, Victoria, Vancouver

29 Aug - 8 Sep: Vancouver, Inside Passage, Juneau, Sitka, Hubbard Glacier, Icy Strait Point, Skagway, Ketchikan, Victoria, Vancouver

By the way, there is a press release dated today (December 20, 2018) on the "Cunard News Room" page of the new Cunard US web site titled "Cunard Unveils First Full Season of Alaska Voyages in 2020". That press release can also be found here on the Cunard UK web site.

https://www.cunard.co.uk/cunard-experience/media-centre/press-releases/full-season-of-alaska-voyages-in-2020-for-cunard/

Edited by bluemarble