Tips for Azamara Newbies

Grandma Cruising

Bev0426? Just wanted to suggest that DH wear some convertible pants. Shorts until you need the legs covered then you can zip the pants part on. My husband did this when we went to Rome and visited the churches. I think he got his at Bass Pro or on Amazon. They are light and comfortable with loads of pockets. Have fun on your cruise.

• Like 1

Bev0426? Just wanted to suggest that DH wear some convertible pants. Shorts until you need the legs covered then you can zip the pants part on. My husband did this when we went to Rome and visited the churches. I think he got his at Bass Pro or on Amazon. They are light and comfortable with loads of pockets. Have fun on your cruise.

Thanks, Pattyj! Good idea!!! :)

Hello, My mom and I booked our first Azamara Cruise (Journey) in early October for 9 nights in Italy (trip starts in Rome, ends in Spain). We have not taken a cruise in more than 20 years.

Thanks for sharing these tips for first-timers on Azamara.

I'm looking at booking the offshore day excursions and most are very expensive. Do you have advice or referrals for booking private tours for offshore excursions- for only 2 adults? I know some private tours can cost more with only two people vs. a small group (6-8)

Thanks in advance.

The Living Room serves a variety of tapas pre-dinner and is a great place for a before-dinner cocktail.

The Patio serves a casual-dress, table-service dinner on deck 9. Menu includes lamb tournedos, beef paillard, chicken cordon bleu, and more. You can also take items from the Windows buffet to your table.

Suite passengers have no-charge access to the spa deck with thalassotherapy pool and lounge chairs at the front of the spa on deck 9. A limited number of spa deck passes are available for a fee for non-suite passengers.

[Fitting everyone's tips on one page will be a challenge, and most first-timers are not on Cruise Critic.]

Many of us are first time on Azamara but not first time cruisers. It is helpful to know how this cruise line differs from our previous ones

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello, My mom and I booked our first Azamara Cruise (Journey) in early October for 9 nights in Italy (trip starts in Rome, ends in Spain). We have not taken a cruise in more than 20 years.

Thanks for sharing these tips for first-timers on Azamara.

I'm looking at booking the offshore day excursions and most are very expensive. Do you have advice or referrals for booking private tours for offshore excursions- for only 2 adults? I know some private tours can cost more with only two people vs. a small group (6-8)

Thanks in advance.

I would try to hook up with folks from your Roll Call. If you haven’t joined, I would recommend you do. On our recent cruise, we did 2 private excursions with folks we met on our roll call and later at the Meet and Greet

Thinking of Azamara Journey next March. What would be considered a 'good' stateroom location? We're Celebrity Elite Plus, know the ships layouts well, and prefer deck 11 aft. What would be a comparable location? Can anyone advise what we're losing with a change to Azamara? Thanks to this thread I now know the cabins/balconies are smaller, there's a shower curtain instead of glass, the entertainment is 'different', but I'm thinking that with less sailors, there'll be less of a hectic, over-populated experience. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Never been on Celebrity, but Azamara is certainly peaceful, and there’s always plenty of room. I can’t comment on decks as I don’t know Celebrity’s ships layout. If we are having a Verandah we like deck 7 as its above and below cabins, so no sources of noise. From 2020 the aft Balcony cabins on Azamara will become a new class of cabin called Balcony Plus. They’re more expensive, but include extras such as included spirits in your cabin, a free meal in a speciality restaurant, free bag of laundry and free internet minutes (but as Elite Plus you will already have the last two and you can’t combine them).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

Tip for Newbies from Hotel director on Pursuit .

When you get your mid cruise questionnaire please fill it in as they need as much feedback as possible especially about outstanding crew members.

Any written comments go on their permanent personnel file and when they are considered for promotion this will mean MUCH more than an effusive goodbye or even an extra tip (if given).

All comments are posted in crew areas so that crew get recognition by peers as well as opportunity to get prizes for good comments like a full 24 hours off from any duties.

When working split shifts 24 hours a day 7 days a week that is like winning the lottery to them!!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Tip for Newbies from Hotel director on Pursuit .

When you get your mid cruise questionnaire please fill it in as they need as much feedback as possible especially about outstanding crew members.

Any written comments go on their permanent personnel file and when they are considered for promotion this will mean MUCH more than an effusive goodbye or even an extra tip (if given).

All comments are posted in crew areas so that crew get recognition by peers as well as opportunity to get prizes for good comments like a full 24 hours off from any duties.

When working split shifts 24 hours a day 7 days a week that is like winning the lottery to them!!!

Great advice! Love it!

• Like 1

Well, here I am back from my holidays - yes, I had a lovely relaxing time, with a bit of sight-seeing thrown in as well - Corinth Canal, Epidavros Amphitheatre, Nafplio, Methoni Castle.

I’ve spent the last couple of days putting a spreadsheet together of all the tips on this thread. Here’s the link to it. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Deg-GaeZYLml8NN3PVwoh_jUkQ8QmYUe1wxnVAlODE

As you’ll see I’ve copied and pasted people’s tips, where feasible. A few tips have gone in more than once because they fit in more than one category.

I’d be very grateful if those of you who offered to help could have a look at it and see what you think. I’m very relaxed about it and will be happy for you to identify any mistakes or omissions, or suggest a better way of doing it.

Thanks.

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Well, here I am back from my holidays - yes, I had a lovely relaxing time, with a bit of sight-seeing thrown in as well - Corinth Canal, Epidavros Amphitheatre, Nafplio, Methoni Castle.

I’ve spent the last couple of days putting a spreadsheet together of all the tips on this thread. Here’s the link to it. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Deg-GaeZYLml8NN3PVwoh_jUkQ8QmYUe1wxnVAlODE

As you’ll see I’ve copied and pasted people’s tips, where feasible. A few tips have gone in more than once because they fit in more than one category.

I’d be very grateful if those of you who offered to help could have a look at it and see what you think. I’m very relaxed about it and will be happy for you to identify any mistakes or omissions, or suggest a better way of doing it.

Thanks.

WOW Grandma!!!...that is great!! Thanks for doing this...I'm sure "newbies" will really appreciate it!!! LuAnn

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks.

Well done Grandma, it looks very good, and I like the way you have Referenced the post numbers of the tips.

I’m interested in your recent holiday in the Peloponnese, we are currently planning a land tour there for next year as we visited Nafplio, Monemvasia and a number of other ports earlier this year and have decided to do a more in depth visit. Already got the guide book and road map.

Thanks.

Just wanted to say all you experienced Azamarists (is that a word?) please keep adding tips - and newbies please keep asking questions. I’ll add any new tips to the spreadsheet as they get posted.

Hello, So much fantastic information on this , have really enjoyed reading it all!

I will be traveling on the Journey in Feb. I've tried calling Azamara a number of times and have been put on hold for over an hour each time so I 'm hopeing someone will know the answer to my questions. I would like to know if they have set dining times with the same table partners every night. My reservation says open dining and I'm wondering if that is the only type they have other than the specialty restaurants. The reason I ask is on other cruise lines whenever I don't have set dining I've often found that people don't want an outsider to sit with them and have been placed at a table by myself! That's a little awkward and I end up at the buffet with a book and a glass of wine!

Also, do many single people go on these cruises? I've checked my Roll Call and they are all couples who I will meet at the Meet and Greet.

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

Hello, So much fantastic information on this , have really enjoyed reading it all!

I will be traveling on the Journey in Feb. I've tried calling Azamara a number of times and have been put on hold for over an hour each time so I 'm hopeing someone will know the answer to my questions. I would like to know if they have set dining times with the same table partners every night. My reservation says open dining and I'm wondering if that is the only type they have other than the specialty restaurants. The reason I ask is on other cruise lines whenever I don't have set dining I've often found that people don't want an outsider to sit with them and have been placed at a table by myself! That's a little awkward and I end up at the buffet with a book and a glass of wine!

Also, do many single people go on these cruises? I've checked my Roll Call and they are all couples who I will meet at the Meet and Greet.

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

There is only open dining. We met a couple on our first cruise at the Meet & Mingle and ate with them most of the time at dinner. We asked for the same waitress also. On our second cruise we sometimes ate by ourselves and sometimes at a shared table. There were some singles. If you find a waiter/waitress that you like, ask for her/him every night.