How fast is the WiFi on Queen Mary 2?

BoiiMcFly

Well, not very fast. If you have large files to work with, forget it. I am one of those nerds who can be spotted wandering about in corridors with my laptop looking for a good connection. Wifi in staterooms is sketchy. Sometimes connections in pubic areas are better. At the computer center ("Connections") it's a bit better, but not great. Lower your expectations and don't anticipate that you will be able to do any serious work or send out lots of photos. In my experience, average for cruise ships.

We've never had wifi before so can't compare our experience. I felt it was quite reasonable if you wanted to do simple things like email or check facebook etc. Doubt it would be fast enough though if you wanted to do some serious work and I wouldn't even dream of attempting to send pictures.

From a technical perspective, the Wi-Fi aboard QM2 is blazing fast, though the ship's satellite Internet connection is incredibly slow. During the refit, the ship's entire Wi-Fi network was completely replaced with state of the art Aruba Networks 801.11ac access points which provide comprehensive total Wi-Fi coverage throughout the entire ship. Unfortunately, the amount of satellite bandwidth aboard appears to have remained the same. Until they either upgrade the satellite arrays atop the ship, or subscribe to a faster satellite internet provider, the Internet connection will be terribly slow during periods when large numbers of guests, and crew are trying to use the Internet. If you attempt to use the system at an "off" time such as during the first or second sitting of dinner when the theater shows are in full swing, it is sometimes possible to get a reasonably fast connection. During the Christmas Caribbean cruise I was able to upload photos and videos to Google Photos to share with friends back home, but I was only able to do so during periods when most guests were busy with activities and not trying to use the Internet.

I work in IT and maintain the campus Wi-Fi network for a small private college, so I'm familiar with some of the difficulties Cunard's technical staff face in order to provide guests with a good Internet experience. I'm currently installing the same Aruba Wi-Fi gear that the QM2 is using, and it is a top shelf system, and it appeared to me like the installation aboard QM2 was well designed. They now just need to upgrade the satellite bandwidth available to the ship to be able to provide a good Internet experience to guests.

From a technical perspective, the Wi-Fi aboard QM2 is blazing fast, though the ship's satellite Internet connection is incredibly slow. During the refit, the ship's entire Wi-Fi network was completely replaced with state of the art Aruba Networks 801.11ac access points which provide comprehensive total Wi-Fi coverage throughout the entire ship. Unfortunately, the amount of satellite bandwidth aboard appears to have remained the same. Until they either upgrade the satellite arrays atop the ship, or subscribe to a faster satellite internet provider, the Internet connection will be terribly slow during periods when large numbers of guests, and crew are trying to use the Internet. If you attempt to use the system at an "off" time such as during the first or second sitting of dinner when the theater shows are in full swing, it is sometimes possible to get a reasonably fast connection. During the Christmas Caribbean cruise I was able to upload photos and videos to Google Photos to share with friends back home, but I was only able to do so during periods when most guests were busy with activities and not trying to use the Internet.

I work in IT and maintain the campus Wi-Fi network for a small private college, so I'm familiar with some of the difficulties Cunard's technical staff face in order to provide guests with a good Internet experience. I'm currently installing the same Aruba Wi-Fi gear that the QM2 is using, and it is a top shelf system, and it appeared to me like the installation aboard QM2 was well designed. They now just need to upgrade the satellite bandwidth available to the ship to be able to provide a good Internet experience to guests.

This is the most clear explanation I have ever seen on this. Thanks. Makes perfect sense.

Damn now this is a thorough answer, thank you! So do the RC ships that offer Voom just have better satellite dishes installed?

RCI's Voom Internet service is using newer satellite technology from OB3 Maritime Networks. It uses medium earth orbit satellites with steerable beams on the satellites. This allows the satellite signal to be aimed more directly at the ships using the service, greatly increasing the available bandwidth. From what I have heard, RCCI invested a ton of money in the system.

It will take some big spending on the part of CCL to improve the internet speeds on Cunard, and their other brands, as launching satellites is massively expensive. I heard that Cunard spent around 12 million USD on the shipboard upgrades to QM2's Wi-Fi network, so I would hope they have some plans to improve things on the satellite end in the near future. As a network engineer, it's kind of sad to see QM2 equipped with the latest and greatest onboard Wi-Fi system, only to have it hamstrung by their very slow satellite Internet connection, leaving guests to assume that the Wi-Fi system is the cause problem. Each of the Aruba Networks 270 Series outdoor access points that they installed all over the outside decks of QM2 go for about $1400 each at list prices.

RCI's Voom Internet service is using newer satellite technology from OB3 Maritime Networks. It uses medium earth orbit satellites with steerable beams on the satellites. This allows the satellite signal to be aimed more directly at the ships using the service, greatly increasing the available bandwidth. From what I have heard, RCCI invested a ton of money in the system.

It will take some big spending on the part of CCL to improve the internet speeds on Cunard, and their other brands, as launching satellites is massively expensive. I heard that Cunard spent around 12 million USD on the shipboard upgrades to QM2's Wi-Fi network, so I would hope they have some plans to improve things on the satellite end in the near future. As a network engineer, it's kind of sad to see QM2 equipped with the latest and greatest onboard Wi-Fi system, only to have it hamstrung by their very slow satellite Internet connection, leaving guests to assume that the Wi-Fi system is the cause problem. Each of the Aruba Networks 270 Series outdoor access points that they installed all over the outside decks of QM2 go for about $1400 each at list prices.

I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before they make the switch, maybe during its next dry dock. As you said, why get such expensive routers without pushing them to their full potential.

• 1 year later...

We did a voyage on the QM 2 last year and sent many pictures throughout the voyage with no problem at all.

What probably helped immensely was using the TimeStamp app for taking pictures instead of the native Mac one, we got excellent pictures at only 200 to 300 KBS.

There's many answers to this question online, but I haven't seen any recent ones. Is the internet faster now (similar to Voom) or still slow as many say it is?

Absolutely nothing like Voom. I wish it was. Cunard has not made the investment in WifI like other cruise companies. On QM2 it's slow and unreliable. Don't plan on downloading any large files whatever you do. Sometimes around midnight (if you're up that late), they shut it off completely to passengers. This I was told, is so they can download all the business files they need coming in from headquarters. Nope this doesn't happen with Voom!

• 2 months later...

I am sailing on QM2 on Saturday, December 8th Transatlantic.  On Cunard’s site it says that due to internet improvements on all of their ships, they cannot guarantee what internet packages will be available while on board.  

Has anyone recently returned from a trip on QM2 and can you report on whether or not internet was available?  

If available, was it better or worse than has been reported previously?

Thanks, Ed

14 minutes ago, edcarp said:

I am sailing on QM2 on Saturday, December 8th Transatlantic.  On Cunard’s site it says that due to internet improvements on all of their ships, they cannot guarantee what internet packages will be available while on board.  

Has anyone recently returned from a trip on QM2 and can you report on whether or not internet was available?  

If available, was it better or worse than has been reported previously?

Thanks, Ed

That wording which states "Due the nature of the changes being made to our satellite internet service, at present, we are unable to confirm which packages will be available on board during your holiday" has been in the Cunard FAQ for several years now. In my view that's just a hedge on Cunard's part in case they decide to introduce new internet packages that are priced per day rather than by the minute. Internet packages are available where you pay by the minute based on pricing that has not changed for the standard 2-hour, 4-hour, and 8-hour packages since our first Cunard voyage on QM2 back in 2005.

120 minutes - $47.95

240 minutes - $89.95

480 minutes - $167.95

I assume that if they ever improve it significantly then passenger usage will increase as well.  So far, with low expectations, I assume people don't even attempt to try to download films or play games.

If the service improves then won't people just try and do more?

Sad to read that there has been no improvement.  This may be a Carnival Corp. wide problem.  We are currently on board a Seabourn ship and the internet is lousy here as well.  We are using our phones while in port.  And it is true that other lines have upgraded.

In Oct/Nov at best it was awful and majority of times could not even get an internet connection and when asking at Internet desk in Cunard Connexions the lady didnt want to know and wasnt interested all she said it was my settings on my PC. Which it wasnt.

Edited by majortom10

On Oceania a year ago we had good experience with the internet, not as fast as at home, but still way better than Carnival Corp. ships.  And I seem to remember somewhat improved speed on Azamara.

57 minutes ago, CABINET said:

I didn't realise any cruise ship could provide decent wi-fi.

Which lines can?

I have not personally experienced it, but my understanding that Royal Caribbean ("Voom") offers high-speed internet to each passenger with unlimited use (for a price). I'll be on an RCI ship in October.

Some other lines offer unlimited plans charged her day of the cruise. More info:  https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=45

The Carnival Corp. lines seem to be lagging the rest of the industry.