Hairdryer

Lindy028

I use a Dyson hairdryer at home, I remember how poor the hairdryers were on our previous Azamara cruises, I normally take a travel dryer with me but that has just died! Do I take my Dyson, or will it not work very well. Have read on a previous thread that GHD’s don’t work very well at all, so has anyone any experience with a Dyson?

Hi, Lindy never owned or have used a Dyson Hairdryer but in our recent many Azamara cruises, the hairdryer has been better than any travel hair dryers I've ever owned. My experience is they are certainly better than most hotel hair dryers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for that, it’s about 4 years since we last cruised with Azamara, so they obviously changed the hairdryers.

I do agree about hotel dryers, those attached to the wall are a real bugbear.

I have long hair and I do not find the hairdryers very powerful. I wish my GHD dryer would work onboard. I have no experience with a dyson dryer but if it is light enough and you have enough luggage allowance I would take it

Those that know me know that a hairdryer would not be top of my packing list, although Carol does make good use of such a device.

However I have had a look at the technical issue, in Azamara’s cabins there are both US 110v & European 220v sockets, as the Dyson is requires a 220-240v supply that would be ok. But and it’s a big but, not to get too technical every ac electrical supply has a frequency, the Dyson requires 50 Hz whilst ship supplies like the US are usually 60Hz. This might not sound a serious problem but devices like the Dyson could suffer serious damage from running at the wrong frequency.

The ships hairdryers are 110v 60Hz units which is why they are not as powerful as we are used to in the U.K. I would not recommend using any U.K. specification hairdryers on a cruise ship.

Lindy, I have a Dyson hairdryer at home....possibly the best present I have ever had, apart from my pony when I was aged eight!

I would not try to use the Dyson in the cabin. It's so powerful that I think it would blow the electrics anyway, apart from all the techie stuff that Riocca said.

John, I don't think you need to purchase a Dyson hairdryer!

I manage OK with the cabin hairdryer generally, but you do need to keep your finger on the power button and it does take much longer to dry your hair than the supersonic Dyson does. If you have arthritic fingers it would be more difficult.

Our 2017 Azamara holiday cruise was my last trying to dry my hair with that low power dryer with that button needing constant pressure. It gets to your thumbs after awhile! I even switched hands.

I have short hair but when cruising in the Caribbean, there is humidity to deal with.

I have purchased a great dryer and take it on all trips. It is not a Dyson and I am not about to purchase a Dyson.

Mine is lightweight, powerful but not enough power to impact electric circuits and my hair for once is not in a wavy mess due to humidity. It emits ions that make your hair shine, and costs about $60 in all major online and in store shopping sites. It has Tormaline Titanium in the title of the product and I will not leave home without it! :)

Thanks for the idea of duct tape but not needed with my new travel and home dryer.

Grandma, Easy fixed. We always take some duct tape and tape the button down permanently. It just means you have to unplug the hairdryer if you want a pause during drying. And you have to remember to remove the tape at the end of the cruise!

Thanks for the tip - I must remember to take duct tape in July!

Those that know me know that a hairdryer would not be top of my packing list, although Carol does make good use of such a device.

However I have had a look at the technical issue, in Azamara’s cabins there are both US 110v & European 220v sockets, as the Dyson is requires a 220-240v supply that would be ok. But and it’s a big but, not to get too technical every ac electrical supply has a frequency, the Dyson requires 50 Hz whilst ship supplies like the US are usually 60Hz. This might not sound a serious problem but devices like the Dyson could suffer serious damage from running at the wrong frequency.

The ships hairdryers are 110v 60Hz units which is why they are not as powerful as we are used to in the U.K. I would not recommend using any U.K. specification hairdryers on a cruise ship.

Thank you John for that information, at the price a Dyson hairdryer is, I think It will have to stay at home.

Thanks also to the person who posted about the tape, will definitely give that a go. 👍

No hairdryer means more room for shoes, I am the Imelda Marcos of Merseyside! 😀

Thank you John for that information, at the price a Dyson hairdryer is, I think It will have to stay at home.

Thanks also to the person who posted about the tape, will definitely give that a go. 👍

No hairdryer means more room for shoes, I am the Imelda Marcos of Merseyside! 😀

Absolutely!! I’m the Imelda of Sydney :D

Electrical questions make my brain hurt, but surely, if all electricity on the ship is supplied at 60Hz, very few things plugged into the 220-240v outlet would work correctly? Even simple things like clocks would go wrong. The ships and those outlets pre-date the era of phone and camera chargers that work well on either voltage and both frequencies, so the 220-240v outlets would have been fairly useless in 2000. I would expect that the 220-240v outlet uses 50hz frequency.

Electrical questions make my brain hurt, but surely, if all electricity on the ship is supplied at 60Hz, very few things plugged into the 220-240v outlet would work correctly? Even simple things like clocks would go wrong. The ships and those outlets pre-date the era of phone and camera chargers that work well on either voltage and both frequencies, so the 220-240v outlets would have been fairly useless in 2000. I would expect that the 220-240v outlet uses 50hz frequency.

Same here, especially when our last cruise on Journey after the refurb when they put in the flat screen TV's and my hair dryer that I always take on cuises blew the fuse and we lost power to the TV and the outlet that was on the same circuit. According to the ship's electrician there was too much power and the ship has a safety shut off in place that did shut us down. He put it back on and suggested we turn off the TV when using the blow dryer.

I never had that problem before and hope it doesn't happen on our upcoming cruise.

BTW my dryer is just a standard Remmington (I think 1500W).

It could get very complicated, but basically the 220v & 110v is supplied from the same source and just wired differently, so both have to be the same frequency.

The frequency difference is not noticeable on a number of items but anything with a motor would be affected. I’ve never asked the question but I assume that they do limit the supply to each cabin but that would be down the ships technical staff to determine.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would buy an inexpensive travel hairdryer. The one on board the Pursuit had no power at all and having to press a button while styling is difficult. I tried it once and then used my own for the rest of the cruise.

As expensive as the Dyson hair dryers are, I'd worry that someone handling my bag at the airport would steal it.

I need a really good blow dryer and can never use those ones on ships. They leave my hair frizzy. This is what I take on every cruise and despite it's tiny size, it works amazingly well. Best of all, it's dual voltage. I've taken it all over Europe and never been disappointed. It's left my hair shiny and silky.

https://www.amazon.com/BaBylissPRO-Nano-Titanium-Travel-Dryer/dp/B0041QZOF0/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1537116299&sr=8-3&keywords=babyliss+travel+hair+dryer

I love my Dyson hairdryer but would not risk using it on board.

Previously I have taken my GHD hairdryer with me and it did not work, and it took up so much space in my suitcase.

I have long curly hair which takes ages to dry. I also need a diffuser to try and stop the frizz (I know I am fighting a losing battle here!)

I purchased this cheap hairdryer and find it works perfectly and it’s really small.

https://www.boots.com/remington-on-the-go-hairdryer-2000-d1500-10237733

• 1 month later...