Cunard drinks are such a rip off..

Dw2065

Relative to a supermarket or high street restaurant agreed. But relatively to a lot of five-star hotels Cunard is quite reasonable and as someone who works in the wine trade I'd say the middle and upper end of their wine list is quite good value and imaginatively sourced.

€32.30 for two glasses of box standard Pinot.... what a con...

I agree on our last cruise on Cunard never seen so many bars virtually empty at 10-30pm on a cruise ship and dont think it was anything to do with the age of cruiser just price of drinks they are extortionate.

Yes agree completely. Just had a fabulous two weeks onboard and the only negative feedback we gave on the form was value for money on drinks. On the plus side though it’s easier to find a nice seat in the commodore club now. Love those tables for two up there but found myself sipping a rumless mojito on more than one occasion :-)

It made a huge difference to people we spoke to who refused to pay the prices. We were fortunate to have plenty of onboard credit to use on drinks as we toured independently in port but have seen the decline in many bars over the last couple of years. I think it also depends whether you are comparing prices to the poor £ against those from USA $

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow Dw2065, that's a little over U$41 or U$20.50 per glass. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "box standard" but when we were on the QM2 last year the "house" wines were all U$8 for 150ml which is standard pour here in the states. Rarely in an upscale American bar or restaurant do you get 250ml (1/3 of a bottle) pour without an uncharge. So that would be about 150% price increase since our last cruise.

My wife and I will be boarding the QM2 in a week. I will see if we can get some bar prices and post here upon our return.

Thanks or the heads-up.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

We are no wine drinkers, but Cunard‘s prices for cocktails are very moderate compared to any other cruiseline or even mid-level hotels on land.

The price of around $40 for 2 glasses of Pinot noir sounds a bit excessive, a full bottle of Cunard‘s house wine can be had for around $35 plus service charge.

This is our third Cunard Cruise and we have tried all ships as it just seems to get more expensive each time. We have done six or seven Celebrity Cruses and to be honest the whole experience is much more pleasurable. The staff are friendlier and much more attentive, you have the ability to buy a drinks package, that’s if you didn’t get one in your holiday package and the food is higher quality and there is much more variety. I think Cunard has had the last of my money...

Drink prices are definitely higher with Celebrity.

Also the Service Charge is higher there!

Cunard‘s Mdr food is far better than Celebrity. Also Staterooms are nicer with Cunard and so are the seats in the theatre.

Celebrity has better evening shows in our opinion, but the food quality is lower on Celebrity. We like the Solarium Pool better on Celebrity though (S-Class).

I agree on our last cruise on Cunard never seen so many bars virtually empty at 10-30pm on a cruise ship and dont think it was anything to do with the age of cruiser just price of drinks they are extortionate.

We have just completed the Q V last trip to the Baltic, I commented on the questionnaire, we have never seen the Commodore or the Golden Lion pup so empty, heard lots of people commenting about the price of drink:evilsmile::evilsmile:

The problem with using wine (or indeed cocktails) to compare prices is that there are too many imponderables. Specifically wine, you can't just compare a glass of [insert grape variety here] in one location with [insert grape variety here] somewhere else unless a) the size of the glass is the same and b) it's the same wine (i.e. the same bottle).

So you really need to compare two known entities otherwise the comparison is meaningless. The best thing would be a bottle (or draught) of brand X beer. Then you know you are comparing eggs with eggs.

My wife and I will be boarding the QM2 in a week. I will see if we can get some bar prices and post here upon our return.

Jack E Dawson - I would appreciate knowing the price of a Manhattan. Thanks in advance.

Thanks, Host Hattie,

I'll post the bar menu of Celebrity Solstice when we are there, but as far as I remember, no beer could have been found at $6,-- like there are plenty on QM2.

I guess that the myth of Cunard drink price ripoffs will soon be busted.

The better halves favourite, $8.95 for a margarita or $10 with service charge looks the same as any Decent hotel in UK. Wine and beer are hotel prices. Dearer than Weatherspoons but it is QV/QE/QM2

Sorry but I must be going to the wrong hotels and pubs and because I dont live in the south paying £6-£7 for a pint of Guinness or Marstons Pedigree is a rip off in anybodies mind.

Thanks, Host Hattie,

I'll post the bar menu of Celebrity Solstice when we are there, but as far as I remember, no beer could have been found at $6,-- like there are plenty on QM2.

I guess that the myth of Cunard drink price ripoffs will soon be busted.

Thanks, that would be interesting. The OP's original example was certainly a bit eye watering but there are definitely cheaper options available.

Nicked from here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2494703&page=4

6ae496dabc949471a60fb47f630f54a0.jpg

1d6af9e8d6ac9d4b2fcb9fe64c032dc9.jpg

87d58e36e6a72639c1ace8d0b359eb94.jpg

Mojito: Celebrity= $9,--, Cunard = $8,95

Singapore Sling: Celebrity= $10,--, Cunard = $ 8,95

Heineken 0,33: Celebrity = $8,-- (Lager) Cunard = $ 5,50

Guiness (Pint): Celebrity = $8,--, Cunard (draught) = 6,50

Edited by Yoshikitty

€32.30 for two glasses of box standard Pinot.... what a con...

Sorry, have never seen a Cunard Sommelier pour a glass of wine from a box. However, witnessed this by guests in various venues on another line.

You appear to be an officianardo of BIB.