Interesting Guarantee Quandary

Bigmike911

This is a longish post with a question at the end.

I started out booking a Westbound T/A from Southampton next September. Later I found I could get the accommodation I wanted by starting out in Hamburg, so I re-booked the crossing to start there. Last week in London at dinner with friends, they agreed that they would like to have a four day 'short break' leaving Southampton traveling to Hamburg and back.

I decided to book the Southampton to Hamburg to add to my current planned westbound to travel with them. I sent my very competent Travel Agent an email that night after dinner, and when I rose in the A.M. I had her email confirming my booking.

I did it as a separate booking, because I didn't want to disturb the Hamburg to NYC booking, because the suite grade I had booked showed currently unavailable, and I didn't want to loose it. I had purchased two future cruise credits on my last trip so I had them available.

Yesterday when I got back from London I called my Travel Agent to see if we could link the two bookings so I could stay in the same suite all the way even going from a guarantee to a confirmed booking if necessary. She called Cunard and called me back saying "I have some good news, and I have some bad news".

Apparently there are no available suites in my grade to confirm. I was told not to worry, I would have the grade I paid for or better in the end.

There are not a lot of grades above my guarantee, and one of the grades is not acceptable to me because it has no balcony. So this will be interesting to see how this is sorted out. Have others had similar experiences and how did the all work out?