Suit bag

capegirl

Cunards view:

We would suggest you carry your suit carrier on board, to avoid any accidental damage during the loading process along conveyor belts where straps, handles or the bag itself may get caught and tear.

Please note, suit / dress carriers form part of your flight luggage allowance where applicable.

I would not risk it with a soft flexible type! We use a proper fairly rigid zip up suit carrier, which has survived many cruises, it has large side pockets which I put sheets of plastic in to reinforce it, and finally put a strap around it!

As a guy who is very particular about his suits, tux and evening jackets, I wouldn't dream of sending my suit carrier through the ships conveyer belt ( I don't even chance it when checking in for a flight )

Don't chance it, I know it can be a bit of a hassle, to be on the safe side just carry it on ( and off) . The whole idea of a suit/dress carrier is to ensure that the contents arrive onboard free from unnecessary ceases.

It also states in brochure sent to you prior to your cruise with luggage labels in that suit carriers should be carried onboard and not sent on with your suitcases.

Brochure? What brochure is that? We are boarding QV on Saturday after a few days in Rome and have not had a brochure from Cunard. I thought they had probably decided not to send them any more and you just have to print your luggage labels out your self!!

Brochure? What brochure is that? We are boarding QV on Saturday after a few days in Rome and have not had a brochure from Cunard. I thought they had probably decided not to send them any more and you just have to print your luggage labels out your self!!

It's the "Your ocean awaits" pre-voyage brochure. Apparently not everyone receives them. You definitely won't receive one if you tick the box "To create your E-Brochure" in the "Your Voyage Information" section of the Voyage Personaliser.

If you do receive one, the quote in question is found in the "How much luggage you can pack." section within the pages discussing "Those final preparations." Here is what it says.

"If you decide to bring a suit bag, this must be carried on board as hand luggage^ and only contain items of clothing.

^Suit carriers cannot usually be taken as hand luggage on aircraft."

But based on Camgirl's report, this apparently is not enforced at voyage check-in.

It's the "Your ocean awaits" pre-voyage brochure. Apparently not everyone receives them. You definitely won't receive one if you tick the box "To create your E-Brochure" in the "Your Voyage Information" section of the Voyage Personaliser.

If you do receive one, the quote in question is found in the "How much luggage you can pack." section within the pages discussing "Those final preparations." Here is what it says.

"If you decide to bring a suit bag, this must be carried on board as hand luggage^ and only contain items of clothing.

^Suit carriers cannot usually be taken as hand luggage on aircraft."

But based on Camgirl's report, this apparently is not enforced at voyage check-in.

The porters at Southampton have always told us to just add our suit carrier to the pile of cases and then have taken it off with them. Have never noticed any instructions to carry it on, to be honest, so we have always sent it through with the rest of our luggage and it has always been taken.

I must admit, I have always wondered why so many people carry them on board. Now I know!

I guess it depends on the suit bag. I had no issues with mine, both checking it to fly across the Atlantic or the porter accepting it at the quay. Indeed, I cannot imagine Southampton porters caring one way or another about Cunard's "weight limit" on cases or the type of bag they take. And they don't, trust me. I hand them a pile of luggage and a fiver and Bob's Your Uncle.

My suit carrier is no longer made, but this M&S description describes it exactly

Our EVA moulded suit bag is made from lightweight Cordura® fabric boasting durable strength and a scuff resistant finish. Internal pockets include compartments for shoes, while a metal hook allows you to hang when needed.

I would not want to risk the glorified plastic bag type though baggage handling!

Dont think there would be a problem with any of the porters accepting a suit bag but I think the reason why Cunard tell you to carry on your suit bag is possible damage once it goes through the hole and whatever happens when it is loaded onto cages and loaded onto ship by fork lift and arriving at your cabin.

Well mine is a 25-year-old Hartmann leather and tough knobbly twill that even a stevedore with a grudge couldn't damage.

PS: Cunard/Southampton Docks got full marks this last cruise.... we had our cases outside our cabin within 20 minutes of boarding. 20 mins!!

My suit carrier is no longer made, but this M&S description describes it exactly

Our EVA moulded suit bag is made from lightweight Cordura[emoji768] fabric boasting durable strength and a scuff resistant finish. Internal pockets include compartments for shoes, while a metal hook allows you to hang when needed.

I would not want to risk the glorified plastic bag type though baggage handling!

This is the sort we have, I think. It is quite a robust thing made of plastic leather. It isn't one of the flimsy j cloth type bag things. Maybe that is why the porters say they will take it.

No, not in Southampton but I think in New York it would be expected from what I've read on here.

We Americans tip. Just do. And maybe that's why our luggage, including suit bag, got delivered in 20 mins! But yes, I would certainly recommend one tip porters in New York at very least. That "plop" you hear might other be one of your cases going over the side.

We Americans tip. Just do. And maybe that's why our luggage, including suit bag, got delivered in 20 mins! But yes, I would certainly recommend one tip porters in New York at very least. That "plop" you hear might other be one of your cases going over the side.

What you tip porter's has no reflection on what happens and how fast they get taken onboard by different people who you never see and crew who deliver them to your cabin who have no idea how you tip. You are tipping the porters to taking your suitcases 20 metres and putting them through a hole nothing more.

To be honest whether travelling with P&O or Cunard I have never tipped the baggage handlers and they have never hung around enough for me to give them one.

Even as a cheapskate Canadian with an aversion to obligatory (a.k.a. "extorted") tipping absent any link to service above and beyond the norm, nevertheless when I handed my bags to the curbside porter then drove off to park my car, you can bet your sweet bippie that I included a $10 tip to underline the care and responsibility with which I was entrusting the gentleman.

Interesting to note that, while walking back to the terminal, I witnessed a forklift carrying a full load of luggage across the tarmac, and I yelled a warning that one suitcase was about to topple off the pile. The operator eventually stopped, but not until after he rolled over and crushed the bag quite severely.

As far as garment bags, I guess it depends on your description and the particular care with which you wish that item to be handled. I travel with a sturdy roller garment bag, and of course I have no qualms about entrusting it to the porters. But if it was a mere suitbag (i.e. a flimsy cover) and it's packed with an expensive suit or dress then I would carry it on myself. No different than carrying on your own computer bag, unless your electronic items are packed into a ruggedized shockproof Pelican case. For the record, I handed over my soft-sided cooler bag containing several bottles of hooch, surrounded by a few plastic water / softdrink bottles for protection, and it arrived unscathed at my cabin.

Finally, I made sure to keep my bags under the 50lb/23kg weight limit, as required. I would not wish to risk an injury to a luggage porter by recklessly exceeding this (reasonable) published constraint. Nor would I wish to be hauled into the "room of shame" to account for such a flagrant transgression.

PJ