Quest rescues yacht in distress.

Riocca

After leaving Hvar at lunchtime today Captain Magnus responded to a distress call from a yacht which had lost its steering. In sudden high winds and rough seas all 7 of the crew are now safely aboard Quest.

Congratulations to Captain Magnus and the crew of Azamara Quest.

6dfc01c9eb86af5c79ac2747755794d0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is so heartening! Do you know if they managed to get a tow on the yacht or is it just drifting? As a sailor it made me shiver to read this but so pleased to know that the crew are safe thanks to our wonderful Azamara Captain Magnus and crew.

No the yacht was set adrift and left for the Croatian Coastguard to deal with. It would have been impossible to tow and after all the safety of the crew is far more important than the yacht.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Brief update from Captain Magnus at yesterday’s LCV event.

The yacht was a holiday charter and the crew were offered the option that Quest would stand by or they could abandon, they chose the latter.

There was no way in the conditions that the yacht could be towed so it drifted for two days however the company who owned the yacht had now managed to get a line aboard to retrieve it.

As a matter of interest it was one of four yachts abandoned due to the extreme conditions in the area that day.

Brief update from Captain Magnus at yesterday’s LCV event.

The yacht was a holiday charter and the crew were offered the option that Quest would stand by or they could abandon, they chose the latter.

There was no way in the conditions that the yacht could be towed so it drifted for two days however the company who owned the yacht had now managed to get a line aboard to retrieve it.

As a matter of interest it was one of four yachts abandoned due to the extreme conditions in the area that day.

Thanks for the update. Well done Azamara Quest.

Oh my goodness Riocca. Four yachts abandoned. That is incredible! What a nightmare of a holiday for those people who chartered the yacht. Was the weather particularly bad, I wonder?

Lynne:confused:

Forecast for Split was 40-50 knot winds on the day we were due to be there, which would have made it dangerous for Quest to dock which is why Captain Magnus decided to divert to Hvar. Actually winds gusting to 115 knots were recorded so it was a very good call by Captain Magnus.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Saw on tv last night that there is what is being called a 'Medicanne' - Mediterranean hurricane in the area. I imagine that a lot of ships and small craft will be compromised.

Lynne :(

The tropical storm (it never strengthened to a hurricane or ‘medicane’) is near Crete, more than 1000 miles / 1600 km away from Split/Hvar - totally unrelated.

Captain Magnus told us that in Croatia it’s know as the Bora Wind and comes from the North East. It’s brought about by a cold front passing over the area, of course with the mountainous nature of the area the gust can be concentrated and unpredictable.

Upside if there is one is that any clouds are quickly blown away, so we’ve had mainly clear sunny skies but with a chilly wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums