Havana port cancelled

Bethcb

Viking Ocean had its planned Havana berthings cancelled too. We booked a December 2017 cruise which was scheduled to spend two days in Havana. I forget when we got the bad news (maybe mid-summer?) but apparently Cuba wouldn't let Viking come to Havana but would let them go to Cienfuegos instead. I checked on other cruises, but Oceania was totally booked up, and there were no other lines I was willing to take and/or could afford, so we just stayed with the Viking cruise and made the best of it. Viking ended up taking those of us who wanted to go to Havana by bus and putting us up in a hotel overnight. I went to colorful Trinidad the third day from Cienfuegos and enjoyed that very much. I wanted to spend a couple hours in Cienfuegos itself after that, but decided to just go back to the ship.

Not docking in Havana was very disappointing but Viking did a great job making things better for us (free excursions, etc.) and I am SO, SO glad we didn't just cancel the cruise. We had wanted to go to Cuba for a long time, and it did not disappoint us once we got there. We just spent more time on a bus than we planned, but things happen, so you have to roll with the punches on a cruise!

Edited by roothy123

In case this is helpful to anyone, especially if adventuresome, here are my pre-cruise notes on Cienfuegos. Sorry about the fomatting.

CIENFUEGOS Dec. 4 (alone), 5th with Insignia; them 7-4, 6th alone until 1p. I’m booked on Trinidad excursion; Howard Bay of Pigs & lunch.

Good info on city: http://www.cienfuegoscity.org

http://destinationguides.hollandamerica.com/caribbean/western-caribbean/cienfuegos/?WT.ac=Ports_CFG_DG– look at

Good thread: (Pearl & Adonia, Cienfuegos & Havana): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2447667&page=2

http://www.cienfuegoscity.org/cienfuegos-city-arch-queen-necropolis.htm tells about “antique queen’s cemetery”

Couple money exchange huts right when get off ship. Also some vendors & taxis.

City founded by French settlers, many from LA. Established 1819. From yacht marina there’s internet at hotel La Union in town (6 C/hr).Town about 1.5 mi. & can use byci-taxi (2C).

Casa de laCultura at Parque Jose Marti (AKA Ferrer Palace): Only a few people allowed on tower at time & 1 person at peak at time. 2C worth it. UNEAC at Calle 25 on W side of Parque Marti (might be marked as Casa de la Cultura on Moon map) has cultural events in open-air patio. Also Casa de la Cultura on Calle 37 #5615 esq. Av 58 has free traditional cultural events.

Teatro Tomas Terry 2 C admission with guided tour & 5 for camera. No AC. If head S on Santa Isabel from SE corner of square, are several blocks of vendors selling everything from crap to decent artwork. At end of street is bay, with seaside bar,pier & local version of Malecón.

Palacio deGobierno: Most of Parque JoséMartí's S side is dominated by grandiose, silvery-gray building whereprovincial government (Poder Popular Provincial) operates. Doesn't allowvisitors, but can steal look at palatial main staircase through front door;great condition.

Catedral dela Purismima Concepcion7a-noon has splendid interior.

Calle 29 (near Plaza de Armas & Customs House, Aduana) has vendors.

Cemetery (p) in Reparto Reina (west) looks worthwhile. 7a-7p. Naval Museum Calle 21 also in same area. Sounds near to cemetery: 4 antique steam trains preserved at Parque de los Locomotoras on Calle 19(esq. Av. 54).

CementerioTomas Acea is park-like, 5m taxi from center city, Parthenon-styled entrance building. Open 6-5, free.

Palacio de Valle(free, but spiral staircase to rooftop mirador might only be free after 5p) used to be private residence, done by team of French, Cuban & Arabartisans. Rooftop bar nice. Bus 1 supposedly travels down Calle 37 from PuebloNuevo (center city) to Palacio, need CUP small change; not sure how many CUC would be charged. Might also be carriages too, probably asked for 1C. From dock to Valle should cost 3C. They may ask more but 3 is going rate. You'll head S down Prado & past seaside bay on Malecon. Visit across street from Palacio seaside restaurant that sells fried shrimp outside under canopy – 2C for large plate - tasty! It's just few yards past glass door burger joint. (Same driveway). (Maybe one place mentioned is El Pelicano, marked on blowup of streetmap, on Ave 0 (Frente Sur). After Palacio, walk S to La Ponta, furthest point for benches & refreshment gazebo.

Food at Palacio dreadful. However, city has seen explosion of paladars, some very quaint with doorman, menu in hand to look at or posted outside on wall. Some are aggressive to get your business but make choice yourself.

Parquede Esculturas, Calle 37 & Av 6 near Club Cienfuegos at beginning of Punta Gorda peninsula has interesting modern sculptures.

Can take bici taxi back from bottom point 3 CUC. Sounds like horse carriages only go so far before must walk.

Muelle Real Avenida 46, opposite S end of Calle 29 – concrete jetty with benches. Nice for sunset, small outdoor café, opposite across road is elegant 19th C customs building.

Punta Gorda: Club Cienfuegos (used to be YachtClub) is gleaming white palatial 3 story mansion with green domes from 1918; 2 restaurants, swim pool, tennis courts & terrace overlooking marina next door that hosts program of night-time entertainment. Also shop & small low-key amusement park with mini go cart track, etc. Calle 37 e Avenida 8 y Avenida 12. 1 CUC to get in 10 -7 3-5 after 7p; 3 to swim. Close to marina.Yacht Club worth visiting to enjoy coffee at back patio with wonderful vista. Explore club; has historic regatta photos & inscribed trophies. Restaurant upstairs worth a look but food atrocious.

La Punta is narrow peninsula S of Palacio de Valle.Many opulent residences of wood & concrete; some colorful. Little park at tip. Google Earth shows small ferris wheel on land part, not right on water, reachable by walking to end of Ave 12 or maybe 14 & then towards wheel.

Taxis: La Union Hotel in Nuevo & Jagua hotel car park usually have taxis. Shared taxis called "collectivos." Can hail bici-taxi; plentiful & carry 2 adults.

Parque Marti part of Plaza de Armas. Blue building by yacht club building (green domes) is Palacio Azul.

If go back to Cienfuegos, check caribbeanpearltours.com fortours to Trinidad

Edited by roothy123

I am recently back from a land trip to Cuba. I was booked for one of the Oceania (waitlist) and someone here was sure I would not be on and I ended up cancelling the cruise. And when final payment was due, then they sent me a request for payment. As it turned out, I went with a group of 10 for an educational exchange with Cuban Photographers (my profession) and we trained them on a style of photography. In exchange, we got to tour with them and stayed in a Casa Particular. It was far from the luxury of an Oceania Ship but clean and the staff lovely. I would be the first person to say a cruise was the best way to go until I experienced my week there. We basically were free to do as we pleased. Food was amazing. Would I go back? Maybe. It was basic clean rooms with simple breakfast. The art, the music and the people are amazing. In some cases, like the rum factory, if we took a picture, a hand was out. If you cruise, you are limited where to get CUC. A lot of things you worry about are actually quite simple.

• 9 months later...

I just heard it on the news.   It's such a shame.  I feel like I live in a Communist country now, where we are no longer able to choose where we go for vacations.  I'm very glad I got to Cuba when I did.  It was a wonderful experience, and it saddens me that other Americans have to miss it.