Amenity change on Nov 1, 2019

rheasue38

Speaking of yesterday's news, how about comparisons of Crystal and Viking to "O" which do not belong on this thread.....too many times to quote!

And, how about almost everything else on these boards......Cuba cancelled ports, new itineraries, the R ships versus the O ships, GDR menus, times for meet and greet etc.!.

And, especially from those with 5000 plus posts, some of them with almost 10,000, and, most of them also meaningless.

Maybe amenity changes are now yesterday’s news and all that needed to be said about it was already said (in several threads)?

It is what it is and will not change with more complaining about it. We can accept it or move on to another line - like some here are “threatening” to do. :)

If we complain about it enough than maybe something will be done about it. Moving on is not the only option. Still need to get in the face of O without the threat but to convince them that is the wrong way to go. At one time Mr. FDR read these boards and maybe he still does. Hope so.

If we complain about it enough than maybe something will be done about it. Moving on is not the only option. Still need to get in the face of O without the threat but to convince them that is the wrong way to go. At one time Mr. FDR read these boards and maybe he still does. Hope so.

Maybe the loyalty cutbacks are helping to fund the refurbishments so that fares don't have to go up as much?? Just a guess.

Speaking of yesterday's news, how about comparisons of Crystal and Viking to "O" which do not belong on this thread.....too many times to quote!

And, how about almost everything else on these boards......Cuba cancelled ports, new itineraries, the R ships versus the O ships, GDR menus, times for meet and greet etc.!.

And, especially from those with 5000 plus posts, some of them with almost 10,000, and, most of them also meaningless.

Random thoughts??!! :o

From our point of view as relatively new O cruisers, the big perk when we make Silver is the free prepaid gratuities. While we realize the OBC will drop from $400 per cabin down to $250 per cabin, the amount of refundable OBC our new TA gives us along with the OBC we get from NCL shareholder benefits, the loss of $150 OBC will not detour us from booking future O cruises.

However, I'm glad we're switching from our current TA to one that only issues refundable OBC or a cash rebate rather than like our current TA which gives the free PPG issued by O as part of their compensation. I've heard you don't get the equivalent in OBC once you make Silver, but I could be wrong.

One other cool thing you get with O is that you get the new perks when you start the cruise that moves you up a level rather than when you finish the cruise like most other cruise lines.

would you elaborate on how oceania handles the perks --moving up a level--when you begin the cruise vs. when the cruise ends?

would you elaborate on how oceania handles the perks --moving up a level--when you begin the cruise vs. when the cruise ends?

If the booked cruise moves you into the next level

say you have 4 cruises & #5 is your next cruise

once you step on the ship you get the new perks for that level

You do not need to wait until cruise #6 to get the perks

Hope that make sense

Say, did your Cheerios taste funny this morning?

Lighten up Francis. :rolleyes:

yes amenities are being decreased and awards everywhere. It used to be for 100,000 FF miles you could fly first class around the world.... Now 100,k gets you rt to NY from LA. .......... Marriott's just combined their program when they bought Starwood/ and all nights went up 10 to 20K points per stay. ..... Airlines award miles are now related to how many times a year you fly and how much you pay for a ticket.

I used to get a Big Mac for .49 cents and fill up on 24 cent a gallon gas! That was then....this is now.

What we loved about the past is not an insurance for the future.

Well, cruise ships are in the same "Boat" , pardon the expression.

What it boils down to Hotel, Flights or Cruises, is to me, what do you like.!!! If you liked the product before a change, and they did not alter the product but only the freebe benefits, it doesn't really change the basic product and why you originally selected it.does it ?

Personally, I would rather get reduced extras ( many of which I would never use or want) and a more stable fare .

Costs for everything go up...managers are faced with 3 choices

1. raise fares to cover costs

2. Hold fares somewhat but cut extras

3. keep doing the same in spite of rising costs and go out of business.

(pick only 1)

Going down the road at 60 mph looking in the rearview mirror to evaluate how to drive ahead is not going to work really well Change of any sort is an adversary we all must face form birth to death. There is nothing you can do but accept the reality that it will change and change again.

In reading through posts I'd not seen before I had an idea about what to post ... but waited. And now I forgot what I wanted to say!

But regarding amenities from various sources ... hotels, airlines, etc.

I recently booked a one way flight home (LHR to NYC) after my April 2019 TA on Marina ends. I intended to use FF miles. UA wanted 155,000 miles for business class to Newark. AA wanted 57,000 miles for business class to JFK. That's quite a difference! It's possible the UA flight would be a better experience, but this time around I prefer to return to JFK PLUS paying an extra 100,000 miles didn't seem cost effective. If we were talking about a 14 hour flight I might have opted for the more expensive version ... but we aren't.

Mura

Mura;

Even though United is touting their new Polaris Class service, actually very few of the planes have been upgraded. The vast majority of US planes are still the older models with the older configurations. A bit of “bait and switch “.

You did quite well scoring those tickets for 55,000 miles on AA. We’re you hit with the outrageous LHR exit tax on FF miles~$350?

May well have been, but as far as I'm concerned that is the price of doing business. I'm still ahead!

I should look at the fine details but it's been my belief that everyone has to pay that tax, so I assumed it would be in the mix.

Mura

For my 57,000 miles I'm paying "taxes and carrier imposed fees" of $293.71. AA didn't really break these down.

UA DID, but their charges were virtually the same. So the main difference was in the FF miles the trip cost me.

I'm planning on spending several days in London after the cruise, and willing to pay those taxes to leave the UK rather than going someplace else to avoid the fee.

Mura

I'm planning on spending several days in London after the cruise, and willing to pay those taxes to leave the UK rather than going someplace else to avoid the fee.

Mura

If your friends lived elsewhere in UK - say Manchester or Edinburgh - then you could fly from there via LHR for same amount of FF miles but lower taxes (transit LHR vs departure from LHR).

It might not apply to you but might be helpful for someone else in the future.

PS I hope this post doesn’t upset The A Train too much :)

But she lives off Hyde Park ... Good to know, though! Once upon a time we flew from Manchester to Copenhagen. But that was then. Our Copenhagen friends are probably going to join us in London ...

Mura

In reading through posts I'd not seen before I had an idea about what to post ... but waited. And now I forgot what I wanted to say!

But regarding amenities from various sources ... hotels, airlines, etc.

I recently booked a one way flight home (LHR to NYC) after my April 2019 TA on Marina ends. I intended to use FF miles. UA wanted 155,000 miles for business class to Newark. AA wanted 57,000 miles for business class to JFK. That's quite a difference! It's possible the UA flight would be a better experience, but this time around I prefer to return to JFK PLUS paying an extra 100,000 miles didn't seem cost effective. If we were talking about a 14 hour flight I might have opted for the more expensive version ... but we aren't.

Mura

Danger danger ok to fly in to UK on FF BUT!!!! Never fly out of FF miles the departure tax of FF flights in coach is $160 and 350 in business or First.... Think this through Mura Pay for the ticket out of UK to europe...dont get burned

You can also score 60 to 70K tickets in UAL each way by waiting 3 to 5 days before you want to fly even in summer. I use UAL awards but pick flights on code share on Lufthansa or Austrian Try it.... you can cancel your AA points any time you score a better deal. in May booked a Zurich to LAX 6 mos out. Wanted to stay 3 more days no available seats under 155. So, 4 days prior , in Europe, I scored a 70K return allowing my 3 more days and canceled the other miles using them on my new flight.

Already done, Dan. And I didn't pay that much. Let's put it this way -- the cash outlay was less than using O's air but paying for a deviation and the PE upgrade. So I'm okay with it.

Given my husband's desire NOT to travel anymore because of his vision problems, I doubt that I'll be traveling that much in the future either.

I know that I can change my FF miles if I change my mind. At t his point, I don't even know if I can do this cruise. If Howard's vision continues to fail, I might not be able to leave him home alone.

But under these circumstances, I don't think I'd want to take extra time to get elsewhere in Europe before going home. I'm already spending 4 days in London. I don't want to leave Howard alone more than that.

Thanks for your suggestions, however! They are appreciated.

Mura

Already done, Dan. And I didn't pay that much. Let's put it this way -- the cash outlay was less than using O's air but paying for a deviation and the PE upgrade. So I'm okay with it.

Given my husband's desire NOT to travel anymore because of his vision problems, I doubt that I'll be traveling that much in the future either.

I know that I can change my FF miles if I change my mind. At t his point, I don't even know if I can do this cruise. If Howard's vision continues to fail, I might not be able to leave him home alone.

But under these circumstances, I don't think I'd want to take extra time to get elsewhere in Europe before going home. I'm already spending 4 days in London. I don't want to leave Howard alone more than that.

Thanks for your suggestions, however! They are appreciated.

Mura

Just thought of what you could do...and where they would get you.

I posted elsewhere a premise that you seem to also embrace...

That is do whatever it is now rather than later it will cost less and be more enjoyable and have less problems than the future, which no one can control.

Case in point Health!!!

As for cost its all relative I took a 36 day PH on Regent Marina 16 years ago for $18K Today the same would cost $88K.

You can always get more money...you can not get more time.

“You can always get more money...you can not get more time.”

No truer words have ever been said but so true. Live each day like it’s your last. Enjoy while you can. The relatives will just deal with less when we are gone. La vida loco. Live life NOW!