Oceania Cheapskate?

vcdarty

First time on Oceania Riviera, crossing to BCN, 29 Mar 2019. Many happy crossings w Crystal Cunard Windstar HAL French Line (!) etc.

Now. Bride and I booked PH2, w OLife, $600 OBC for the 2pax cabin. Internet. Fine.

Bro-in-law, traveling with us OLife,paid full double cabin rate, DV1, for a single pax. Did he get the same $600? Nope. Offered $300. Then offered $400.Why not $600 as per the double cabin rate that he paid?

Thoughts? Because this super cheapo ruse may allow us to say addio to Oceania. Love love love VKG Ocean. Like last spring’s crossing.

Thnxs

Are you saying goodbye before you even said hello (over $200 out of how many thousand $$$)?

Why not see how your cruising experience compares to the other lines and decide then.

In the end, it’s your call regardless of what people here say. If you are so unhappy just cancel the cruise and you won’t be upset any longer.

JMO.

PS How would Viking Ocean treat your Bro-in-law? How much would they charge him for a single; how does that compare to Oceania; how much OBC would he get, etc, etc, etc Compare apples to apples and if the Viking apple tastes better then go with it instead of Oceania’s sour grapes.

Edited by Paulchili

Has your BIL cruised solo before? If so, what was his experience? I've done solo cruises on Crystal, Seabourn, Silversea, Regent and on mass market lines and I've never, ever gotten the perks that couples get. If the OBC on Crystal is $400 per person, I've only received the $400 and not $800. It's been the same on all the cruise lines.

If you're having doubts about Oceania, and you already have these negative perceptions, it might be a good idea to cancel and look elsewhere. I've found that if one goes into a situation where there are preconceived notions, many will find ways to make the negative notions happen.

The OP's report while on board the Viking TA this past Spring was not very positive of the Viking experience as compared to the gushing "love" experience expressed in this posting.

Anyone planning a cruise, with any line, read the terms and conditions to understand the details.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/legal/promotion-terms/

First time on Oceania Riviera, crossing to BCN, 29 Mar 2019.

Thnxs

You may be confused on dates

The crossing is March 26th unless you have permission to join the ship in Guatemala??

Also you joined the roll call for Nov cruise so which is correct ?

I agree if you are already unhappy then it may be best to book with one of the other lines that work better for you

JMO as always

Bro-in-law, traveling with us OLife,paid full double cabin rate, DV1, for a single pax. Did he get the same $600? Nope. Offered $300. Then offered $400.Why not $600 as per the double cabin rate that he paid?
Change his reservation to cruise only and he'll save $600.

First time on Oceania Riviera, crossing to BCN, 29 Mar 2019. Many happy crossings w Crystal Cunard Windstar HAL French Line (!) etc.

Now. Bride and I booked PH2, w OLife, $600 OBC for the 2pax cabin. Internet. Fine.

Thoughts? Because this super cheapo ruse may allow us to say addio to Oceania. Love love love VKG Ocean. Like last spring’s crossing.

Thnxs

Seems you didn't "love" your trip on Viking if we check your posts there. Instead of trolling here, please feel free to go back to Viking. By the way, traveling solo doesn't give you all the perks of traveling as a pair, but I think you already knew that.

Thnxs

Good bye....happy trails

Change his reservation to cruise only and he'll save $600.

Or book with the excursions and he'll get the full 6, I believe.

That said, I do recall reading somewhere that someone in the same situation complained enough (or maybe their TA did) and eventually got the full $600.

Also, don't forget that because Oceania bundles in the port charges, he'll have to pay that for the 2nd "person" as well. On other lines, he would not be charged those.

PS please consider a more descriptive title for your next thread. I thought this was going to be about a cheap person who wanted to sail on Oceania.

Someone did complain that they only got 3 of the excursions so do not think that will work either

That's amazing, given that they advertise it was the total number of excursions, not "3 per person". Of course, they do the same with the OBC option. I guess they must have something in the fine print excluding it for single bookings, otherwise they would have been sued by now.

That's amazing, given that they advertise it was the total number of excursions, not "3 per person". Of course, they do the same with the OBC option. I guess they must have something in the fine print excluding it for single bookings, otherwise they would have been sued by now.

That's what I object to. The text actually says "per cabin" not "per person". It is deceptive.

And yes, to answer another person's question, I have cruised solo on a few lines that do honor such offers when made "per cabin" and the solo supplement is 200%.

They used to have the perks as PP then changed it to per cabin

Guess they should not have changed it

yes the fine print says "based on double occupancy"

most people do not read or understand the fine print :eek:

I booked a PH cabin on Marina for April 2019 as a solo. According to my invoice, I have the total OBC, not just half. Could it be because I'm gold status? Perhaps it's even a mistake! I didn't ask for the tour perk -- perhaps that would be different. I don't know!

Mura

I booked a PH cabin on Marina for April 2019 as a solo. According to my invoice, I have the total OBC, not just half. Could it be because I'm gold status? Perhaps it's even a mistake! I didn't ask for the tour perk -- perhaps that would be different. I don't know!

Mura

Are you sharing the cabin with your friend ??

Could be a mistake :confused:

Edited by LHT28

Not sharing, at least not yet. As I told you I have a friend who wants to join me but she hasn't signed up yet.

Perhaps I'm misreading the invoice: OLIFE CHOICE US$400 SHIPBOARD CREDIT PP MAX 2 PER SUITE. It then shows a total of $800, although I'm the only passenger listed.

We shall see. Between my TA's OBC and the oLife (even if only $400), I have more than I will need.

Mura