Oceania Happy Hour ?? Questions

curtdesilets

We are somewhat new to Oceania. Apparently there is a 2 for 1 Happy Hour every day.

A few questions if I may:

1) On Regatta, where is the Happy Hour?

2) Is it just (and always) from 5-6pm?

3) Should we arrive a bit early to secure seating?

4) What Drinks are excluded?

5) Do the 2 drinks need to be identical?

6) If so, can we order 4 drinks simultaneously, i.e. 2 for each person?

Thanks in advance. I don't what to embarrass myself on the 1st go around on this. But I may wind up doing that if w do order 4 drinks at a time :eek:

We are somewhat new to Oceania. Apparently there is a 2 for 1 Happy Hour every day.

1) On Regatta, where is the Happy Hour?

Martinis Bar & Horizons

2) Is it just (and always) from 5-6pm?

yes Plus in Horizons from 10:30-11:30 PM

3) Should we arrive a bit early to secure seating?

not an problem usually to get a seat

4) What Drinks are excluded?

from Currents

martinis bar menu, single malt scotches, cocktails of the day & XO's

5) Do the 2 drinks need to be identical?

yes

6) If so, can we order 4 drinks simultaneously, i.e. 2 for each person?

YES

Thanks in advance. I don't what to embarrass myself on the 1st go around on this. But I may wind up doing that if w do order 4 drinks at a time :eek:

Uaually when you order they will bring one drink then when you are ready for the 2nd they will bring it ..no need to sit with 4 drinks & look like drunks ;)

Here ya go ;)

1) On Regatta, where is the Happy Hour? Martini's and Horizons (i.e. not Waves)

2) Is it just (and always) from 5-6pm? Yes

3) Should we arrive a bit early to secure seating? Yes

4) What Drinks are excluded? Quoted from Currents: Happy Hour prices apply only to beverages listed in the Bar menu, and exclude the Martini Menu, Cocktail of the Day and XO's.

5) Do the 2 drinks need to be identical? Yes

6) If so, can we order 4 drinks simultaneously, i.e. 2 for each person? Typically, it is a true "241" so ordering two drinks, delivers 4.

Edited by StanandJim

in Martinis can be a problem as it fills rapidly and when happy hour is over empties just as fast.. Horizons is much larger and has a different vibe, but has lots of space. Service at either can be slow with so many all hitting the 2 bars.

Some of us decided that getting the prem bev package was well worth saving us from the craziness that can develop .... Then who cares when "happy hour is or isnt.... We can relax with a drink any time and actually over a week, beat any happy hour savings....

.Just an option that might be considered

some of you must drink a lot at home

I did not find the drinks small pours at all ...anytime :eek:

one thing I forgot was they did have HH at Waves Bar on the night of the Captain's party & the reunion party so the other bars could be used for the party

so just wait until 6 & drinks are free on those nights;)

some of you must drink a lot at home

I did not find the drinks small pours at all ...anytime :eek:

Last year on the Regatta I ordered a martini (my regular drink) at HH. The server brought me a nice martini in what I considered a normal martini glass. When I asked about the two 4 one he indicated that it was a double. When I questioned that he went to the bar and returned with a tiny martini glass (smaller than I had ever seen or been served in any shoreside restaurant or bar). He said that was a single martini. I can't speak for regular mixed drinks like a CC and water or Rum and coke, but at least for martinis, they have a very small pour.

Last year on the Regatta I ordered a martini (my regular drink) at HH. The server brought me a nice martini in what I considered a normal martini glass. When I asked about the two 4 one he indicated that it was a double. When I questioned that he went to the bar and returned with a tiny martini glass (smaller than I had ever seen or been served in any shoreside restaurant or bar). He said that was a single martini. I can't speak for regular mixed drinks like a CC and water or Rum and coke, but at least for martinis, they have a very small pour.

guess i am skipping happy hour. .that my jogging track time normally. i rather pay for a decent drink and enjoy it.

Sadly the martinis that most of us are used to are massive things of about 8-10 oz while the classic martini was made in a 3-4oz glass.

". Small Glasses Have Historical Cred

Small glasses aren't just practical for classic recipes, they're also stylistically appropriate. Over the years, cocktail glasses have grown supersized, ballooning from the modest 3- to 4-ouncers that were standard in 1930s to the imposing 8- to 10-ouncers so ubiquitous today. But if you're fixing yourself an old-timey classic such as a Martini or a Manhattan, a Jack Rose or a Sazerac, why not choose a glass befitting William Powell in The Thin Man (1934), or Bette Davis in All About Eve (1950)? Go small."

http://www.thekitchn.com/3-reasons-you-should-choose-sm-137356

So while McDonalds will no longer Super Size your McMeal, most bars are still supersizing your drinks.

Sadly the martinis that most of us are used to are massive things of about 8-10 oz while the classic martini was made in a 3-4oz glass.

". Small Glasses Have Historical Cred

Small glasses aren't just practical for classic recipes, they're also stylistically appropriate. Over the years, cocktail glasses have grown supersized, ballooning from the modest 3- to 4-ouncers that were standard in 1930s to the imposing 8- to 10-ouncers so ubiquitous today. But if you're fixing yourself an old-timey classic such as a Martini or a Manhattan, a Jack Rose or a Sazerac, why not choose a glass befitting William Powell in The Thin Man (1934), or Bette Davis in All About Eve (1950)? Go small."

http://www.thekitchn.com/3-reasons-you-should-choose-sm-137356

So while McDonalds will no longer Super Size your McMeal, most bars are still

supersizing your drinks.

Don't you also find that both the glasses and the dinner plates that we all use at home are much bigger theses days? I have some wine glasses that belonged to my parents and they look positively tiny compared to the ones I use now.

Returning to Happy Hour, if I order a Big O Martini during HH it comes in a special glass, which I think is a bit bigger, but one time when I ordered one after returning late from an excursion and outside of HH not only did I get the martini glass but the waitress left the cocktail shaker too, which contained yet more Big O Martini! I don't know if this usually happens or whether she thought I needed it!! I also wondered if they were trying to promote the cocktail shakers which are for sale.

Anyone else had the shaker and glass combo served?

I'm looking forward to a Martini tasting session on my next cruise. A girl has to keep up with current trends, don't you think?

On Insignia the happy hour is 5 - 7 in Martinees and Horizons and 10 -11 in Horizon.

We find Martinees a bit loud at times so we order our drinks and have them delivered out to the centre hall area.

Exactly. If you order a martini in the Martini Bar at any other time you get a normal size pour. So imo it's a waste of time to rush there for HH and struggle to find a seat at 5Pm which is way too early anyway.

I think we now know how it works. We will give it a shot on the 1st night and see how it goes. - Curtis (OP)

If Martinis bar happens to be crowded just ask the waiter for the drinks you want & go sit by the shops they will bring them to you there ;)

No need to worry

Remember that the pours of the drinks during Happy Hour are imo VERY small so the two drinks you get for the price of one pretty much equal one normal size drink.

"VERY small" is so true (unless you live in Canada or the U.K. where tiny drinks are the "norm".) Our experience with martini's was the same as thunderbird56 - someone I know referred to them as "thimble size". IMO, it is not about getting super strong drinks in order to get drunk - it is simply value for money.

Although our experience has only been on the Riviera, we found happy hour in Martini's extremely crowded - no seats - weak drinks!

• 2 years later...

We have been sailing Oceania on and off since 2008. My drink of choice is a Long Island Ice tea. I’ve ordered them singly in Horizons and also as a 2-for-1 during happy hour. They are ALWAYS served in the same generous-sized glass. If I had to guess, i’d say it was a 10-12 oz size tumbler. None of the others in our group has ever complained about the size of the drinks, and my wife always drinks martinis. I must admit we don’t frequent Martinis, and maybe the pours are less generous there. Horizons just has a beautiful view in the early evening.

"VERY small" is so true (unless you live in Canada or the U.K. where tiny drinks are the "norm".) Our experience with martini's was the same as thunderbird56 - someone I know referred to them as "thimble size". IMO, it is not about getting super strong drinks in order to get drunk - it is simply value for money.

Although our experience has only been on the Riviera, we found happy hour in Martini's extremely crowded - no seats - weak drinks!

TOTALLY agree... To me it looks like the buffet on a mass market line....gimmie that, more, gimmie more, ought of my way... Tiny drinks ... You pay half price you get half value..... Not a scam but a fact of life... No one gets anything for free.

Just one addendum, although the Martini Menu is excluded you can get the Big O Martini as a happy hour drink.

I usually order the champagne cocktail at happy hour but the big O martini sounds amazing and I didn’t know I could order it hat happy hour. Thanks for posting and as the saying goes ‘everyday is a school day’.

England and Wales have smaller measures than we have in Scotland 25ml to our 35ml single measure.